Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Push Starting an S40/Savage (Read 163 times)
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Push Starting an S40/Savage
07/05/11 at 21:05:50

I read a post a while back about someone's bike that would turn over but not start due to a weak battery.  If that happens, can the bike be put in 2nd or 3rd gear and push started?

tks.....mojo

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Push Starting an S40/Savage
Reply #1 - 07/05/11 at 21:24:20

The Verslagen method...

There are several ways to do a push start.  I do a starter aided push start.  This procedure is for a stock bike with all of the safeties working.  The starter will cut out anytime the clutch is released.  We are going to use that to our advantage to get the decomp activated, and the engine rotating before we let out the clutch and letting the bikes motion take over the turning of the engine to start it.

1. Prep the bike as usual to start.
2. Put it in 1st gear, remember this is starter aided.
3. Run it up to as fast as you can go, I'm old and gimpy so don't give me any sh!t about it's too hard.
4. Hop on, push the starter button as it starts to turn the engine over release the clutch.  It will chug a couple of times as the battery recovers from the starter drain then it will fire up.

In 1st gear at about 5mph give or take a few, the starter will turn the engine at about the same speed.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 07/06/11 at 07:40:14

I gotta question...will this technique work if the battery is dead? I left the lights on a few weeks back and tried to pop start...got nowhere...plus it was flat as a pancake where I was...at a friends so we jumped it...just curious

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/06/11 at 08:21:40

Bubba wrote on 07/06/11 at 07:40:14:
I gotta question...will this technique work if the battery is dead?

Dead flat?  hmmmm.... no.  Gotta have enough juice to get the decomp to click.
One of these days I'm gonna have to do a couple of mod's, lights on a separate circuit and manual decomp.  It'd be nice to be able to trouble shoot shorts and special occasions like this to turn off all lights even if you had to pull a fuse.  And I found that if you pry up the decomp lever and block it... if it's the right length, the block will fall out when the cam activates the valve.  So I got a little experimenting to do.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 07/06/11 at 09:30:52

few years ago when my oem battery died i had to push start
was up a nice hill got her going ,after goin a few blocks had to make a turn and as i used the turn signal the bike started lurching to the pulse of the flasher unit...bike dont like weak electrics...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 07/06/11 at 10:44:58

I push started for two weeks in one of the colder months here due to a weak battery (till i upgraded to the amazing Big Crank).

Walked her three blocks (flat), pushed her up a 30 foot hill (what a way to start your day). Got on, clicked into second, coasted down the hill, released the clutch, hit the starter, and hoped.

Some days it would take two or three tries up that hill, but it worked. Yet another reason why I always park on the second floor of parking garages. always have a bit of room to coast down....

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #6 - 07/06/11 at 10:48:45

spacepirates wrote on 07/06/11 at 10:44:58:
I push started for two weeks in one of the colder months here due to a weak battery (till i upgraded to the amazing Big Crank).

Walked her three blocks (flat), pushed her up a 30 foot hill (what a way to start your day). Got on, clicked into second, coasted down the hill, released the clutch, hit the starter, and hoped.

Some days it would take two or three tries up that hill, but it worked. Yet another reason why I always park on the second floor of parking garages. always have a bit of room to coast down....

2nd is what I use... with the choke half out too if it's colder.

IP Logged
drulg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/06/11 at 11:02:57

Yes it can be push started, I've done it quite few times by myself or having someone to help pushing, in fact i had to do it last night when leaving work since I left the ignition on for more than half day, the easiest way, specially if you are by yourself, is put the bike in neutral, push as hard and fast you can them jump on it and inmidiate shift to 2nd gear and let the clutch go

IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #8 - 07/06/11 at 12:39:49

Thanks for all the replies/info.  This forum is awesome!

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #9 - 07/06/11 at 15:46:46

I have no shame! I did not want to fork over money for a new batt, so I would battery tend it at night, fire it up in the morning and have some by-stander help me push it around 4pm. Drive home and repeat!

Did that for 2 weeks.

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:37:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Push Starting an S40/Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.