MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Re: Going Rigid
Reply #15 - 07/06/11 at 13:07:26

Serowbot wrote on 07/06/11 at 13:04:06:
If you only want to change the seating position,... do the seat lift mod, and you can keep the suspension...
I did a 2" lift to the nose of the seat... very comfy...
How to here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1109035237

I wrote above to a previous commenter that if his only gripe was the sliding of the seat he should read the writeup on the TOC about the seat mod before going down this road.

I'm only pointing this out because it seems some people aren't reading what I'm writing.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 07/06/11 at 13:14:58

MagickNinja wrote on 07/05/11 at 23:51:13:
I'm only pointing this out because it seems some people aren't reading what I'm writing.

Quote:
Will the seat mod do the same trick? I don't know, haven't tried it. But with the stock handlebars pushed up and the rear sitting low I got the pocket I was looking for and wouldn't go back to shocks unless I had to. Modifying the seat is going to help even more I think.

You asked,... I answered...  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #17 - 07/06/11 at 13:25:45

Serowbot wrote on 07/06/11 at 13:14:58:
MagickNinja wrote on 07/05/11 at 23:51:13:

Quote:
Will the seat mod do the same trick? I don't know, haven't tried it. But with the stock handlebars pushed up and the rear sitting low I got the pocket I was looking for and wouldn't go back to shocks unless I had to. Modifying the seat is going to help even more I think.

You asked,... I answered...  

No disrespect intended.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #18 - 07/06/11 at 13:57:06

MrBrownTX wrote on 07/05/11 at 16:52:12:
"I no longer had the slide effect from my seat, with the bars up and ass down I was leaning back and it just felt right."

That is exactly what I have been wanting to ask about.  I really feel like the stock setup is sliding me uncomfortably forward.  I find my self constantly re adjusting to let the pressure off my crotch.  I was hoping putting some lowering/hard tail struts would fix that for cheap with out having to spend $300+ on a better seat.

What is the length of your struts eye to eye?

I believe 9" from center to center on the bolts.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #19 - 07/06/11 at 14:04:16

WD wrote on 07/05/11 at 17:04:01:
Easiest way to strut a Savage is with a set of lift shackles from O'Reilly, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. Just drill the chosen holes out to 9/16". If you drill them all out you have roughly 4" of adjustability. Good 9/16" bits aren't cheap, use cutting oil and go slow.

I used to ride exclusively rigid. My Savage was like that for a couple months, until a work injury ruined my lumbar spine. Can't do it now and miss it. I run Intruder rear shocks for clearance and the handling suffers for it. Wallows like a Geezer Glide.

Don't waste money on a new seat. Ditch the stock foam (too soft) and replace it with 2 layers of blue ensolite (camping pad from Wal-mart) and cover with leather of your choice. Mine has held strong for 10 years, and it is kept outdoors. Water buffalo hide. A thrift store jacket will do 2 or 3 seats if you know how to trim out the pieces, 2 if you don't. Those pricey seats are usually carpet under foam under cover anyway. Use upholstery thread, stuff holds up for years.

Oh, I vote for at least 10" rise bars.

I'm sold on the apes just for the fact I won't need risers and that'll save me some money. I don't know if I should go with 10' or 12'.

How tall are you? Have any pics of your bike with the apes?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 07/06/11 at 14:24:02

If your bike had the buckhorns, then I think 10" is the max without changing cables, etc. (Just what I've heard)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 07/06/11 at 15:21:52

Everybody goes rigid one day,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/07/11 at 03:56:53

man, I go rigid every... nevermind  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home