Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Guy-New question (Read 237 times)
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
New Guy-New question
07/05/11 at 12:54:16

Hello all. I a m new to Savages and new to this forum. This is a great resource for noobs!!!

I only had my bike for like 2 weeks, and got cut off coming to a stop sign and got pushed into some gravel and went down. Didn't hurt me or the bike much. Broke the foot peg bracket, which I replaced.

While I waited for my bracket I didn't ride for like 2 weeks. Now it is fixed and the bike seems to not be running the same. I can't tell if it is just me and my nerves or if something is wrong with the bike.

What do I need to check after laying it down at 10 MPH? Starts, runs, shifts, everything fine. Just doesn't seem right. Anyone else experience this post-crash?

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: New Guy-New question
Reply #1 - 07/05/11 at 13:12:23

Welcome aboard!  A little more info is needed.  Which side did the bike fall on?  What doesn't seem exactly right?  The sound of it - if so which side?  The ride - wobble or shake or something else?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #2 - 07/05/11 at 13:37:35

It fell on left side. As i said it starts and drives and shifts without issues. It just seems to be running different. and maybe a little unstable. As far as the way it sounds. Exhaust wise.

It's so hard cause I think it really just could be me, and my nerves cause of laying it down.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/05/11 at 14:13:51

AZSGT wrote on 07/05/11 at 13:37:35:
It just seems to be running different.
and maybe a little unstable.
As far as the way it sounds. Exhaust wise.

These are clues, but you need to give us more.  Any little feeling, it may not be our usual discription for the symtom but better than nothing.

"unstable" do you mean it wobbles?  Hard to track a straight line?
Exhaust sounds muted?  farts more?  less?

WWW   IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #4 - 07/05/11 at 14:22:25

LOL Sorry guys, I am trying to figure out how to describe it. It seems different in that it seems to rev higher, faster. acceleration doesn't seem different just seems to reach high RPM's a little faster. But I get to the end of the gear quick. It is back firing less when I let off the throttle and more when I just ease the throttle back some. Is it just running fat or what?

And when I turn the handlebar all the way left as far as it will go, it revs the engine really high.

There is no visual damage anywhere, I have gone over the bike 1000 times. I just don't wanna take it the 60 mile ride to work and have it crap on me or worse.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/05/11 at 14:26:25

check your cables. That high rev with the bars to the left is your throttle caught on something. What was the weather like when you stopped riding? Whats it like now? Is the carb jetting stock or have you/someone else messed with it?

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #6 - 07/05/11 at 14:29:03

I checked the cables, couldn't see anything stuck but I will re-check. It was hot as hell that day and hot as hell now. (Arizona) Carbs are not stock. Were re-jetted by the guy I bought it from but I did not have this issue before.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/05/11 at 14:39:04

Im bowing out. Id geussed that stock jetting being lean...if you quit riding on a cold(ish - 70*) day and came back to it when it was 90* out you'd most likely notice an improvement/change. Might want to check your jetting anyway...previous owner might not have had any idea what he was doing but if conditions were extremely similar...I dont know.

Other than that... tighten up all the hose clamps on the intake side. Maybe jarred it just enough with an already loose clamp to get an intake leak. Try running it in PRI instead of ON and see if that changes anything. You might be getting very advanced warning of a petcock issue.

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #8 - 07/05/11 at 21:43:11

I just noticed that the coupling connecting my engine and my exhaust was missing a bolt. So my exhaust was not completely seated in the engine outlet. I replaced the bolt and tightened everything down. Would this cause the symptoms it is having?

Weird idle, Weird shift points. Not backfiring when I let off the throttle, instead it backfires slowly and quietly when coasting in gear. It is obvious something happened when I laid it down that is affecting the performance.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/05/11 at 21:55:34

AZSGT wrote on 07/05/11 at 14:29:03:
I checked the cables, couldn't see anything stuck but I will re-check.

There may not be anything stuck, but you may have to reposition the cables so that you can turn lock to lock w/o the idle reving up.  Same with the clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/05/11 at 21:58:50

AZSGT wrote on 07/05/11 at 21:43:11:
I just noticed that the coupling (flange) connecting my engine and my exhaust was missing a bolt. So my exhaust (header) was not completely seated in the engine outlet. I replaced the bolt and tightened everything down. Would this cause the symptoms it is having?

Weird idle, Weird shift points. Not backfiring when I let off the throttle, instead it backfires slowly and quietly when coasting in gear. It is obvious something happened when I laid it down that is affecting the performance.

Having a exhaust leak like that may cause it to run lean.

WWW   IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #11 - 07/05/11 at 22:02:34

Thanks V. Unfortunately we got a wicked dust storm here in PHX right after i finished fixing the header bolt so I have not had a chance to run it and see what happens.

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #12 - 07/06/11 at 08:25:03

So I just took it for a ride. It does seem better but still not quite right.

The exhaust sounds different still. Lots of backfiring when I let off throttle completely (which it did before) but it also makes intermittent pops while coasting in gear throttle off.

Also it seems to lose RPM's faster. If I let off the throttle, it used to continue popping and I could hear the exhaust as I approached a stop sign etc. Now as soon as I let off the throttle, exhaust is almost silent, with the exception of the small pops i described earlier.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/06/11 at 08:41:13

That's from replacing the manifold bolt...

PS... don't bother worrying about popping right now...
It's monsoon season,... popping comes with the season...
It's a rich pop,... won't hurt anything...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/06/11 at 08:57:41

sounds like it's lean, could be that as you tipped it over, something in the bowl got sucked up into the jet.

remove and clean.

decel pops are ok.  worry if they're KERPOWs, someone might shoot back   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:30:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Guy-New question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.