Send Topic Print
helmet laws (Read 351 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

helmet laws
07/05/11 at 00:35:16

Kinda puts a dent in their cause for sure!

http://www.katu.com/news/national/124978164.html

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: helmet laws
Reply #1 - 07/05/11 at 06:56:42

No, it doesnt..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/05/11 at 09:31:11

There should be varied insurance rates or group riders according to gear worn. No Helmet or gear pays a higher premium. Why charge ATGATT the same as peeps who prefer to have their locks blowin' in the wind and arms tanned and leathery? It doesn't make sense. Just like various bikes have different premiums, why not gear? If you're in an accident wearing jeans and a leather vest and have some serious boo boos due to a lack of armor and Helmet, why should the rest of us foot the bill?

IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #3 - 07/05/11 at 13:25:46

How do you prove that you wear the gear? Anybody can say "yes I wear ATGATT" in order to get the lower rates but how would an insurance company prove that they really do? Maybe if they were in an accident and not wearing the gear but other than that how would they do it?

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/05/11 at 16:30:23

Maybe if they were in an accident and not wearing the gear but other than that how would they do it?

You answer the question

Do You wear ATTGATT??? "YES" to get the discount & then get hurt NOT wearing ATTGATTm,,, your insurance doesnt cover your injuries,, simple..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Driller

Really
"Zooked"
up

Tryon, NC
Reply #5 - 07/05/11 at 16:52:17

Sort of like they say in the military..."line of duty-yes or line of duty-no"

O.F.R.A.T. Old F##t Riding Any Time
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 07/05/11 at 17:47:10

I wouldnt worry about cost. If you go down without a helmet on over 35mph youre dead unless you've got a gold horse shoe up your a$$. Its a lot cheaper to bury someone than repair someone all broken up.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Reply #7 - 07/05/11 at 20:02:08

Be careful on adding insurance premiums (taxes) to someone who you consider is engaging in risky behavior.  My motorcycle premium is very low and I'm sure that yours is as well, but motorcycling is a very dangerous sport - proper gear or not.  The same arguement that you may use for outrageously increased premiums for not "gearing up properly" is the same arguement that someone else may use for riding a motorcycle period - and they would be right.  

Ride free!
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 07/05/11 at 20:38:58

Years ago the owner of Ruger firearms refused to provide health insurance to the employees who rode motorcycles. Of course it was taken to court and Ruger lost, but thats what can happen when you ask for more laws.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 07/06/11 at 01:01:23

Whether it's a law or not it, wearing a helmet is a good idea. Riding thru    the midwest I decided for the very first time to ride without a helmet. My head got cooked and my face was sand blasted with gravel.  5 minutes after I put my helmet back on I had a bird explode on my helmet right above my visor at 65 mph. Another time someone lobbed a beer can out of a car a 100 yds in front of me on the freeway and it bounced up and smacked my visor. No helmet and I am sure I would have went down at a very high speed. If you choose not to wear one, good luck with that!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/06/11 at 09:46:00

stinger wrote on 07/06/11 at 01:01:23:
Whether it's a law or not it, wearing a helmet is a good idea. Riding thru    the midwest I decided for the very first time to ride without a helmet. My head got cooked and my face was sand blasted with gravel.  5 minutes after I put my helmet back on I had a bird explode on my helmet right above my visor at 65 mph. Another time someone lobbed a beer can out of a car a 100 yds in front of me on the freeway and it bounced up and smacked my visor. No helmet and I am sure I would have went down at a very high speed. If you choose not to wear one, good luck with that!

Agreed, its a good idea & I wear one,, but its NOT okay that someone would be forced to wear a helmet,,

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 07/06/11 at 14:16:07

You can't fix stupid, but sometimes you can legislate against it.

Having personally stress tested two helmets (one each bicycle and motorcycle) I can testify to their effectiveness.

The Hurt report came up with the rather conclusive finding on helmets:
Every helmeted rider fatality also suffered non-head related fatal injuries.  Most non-helmeted rider fatalities only serious injury was head related.

Don't let the junk "science", cooked statistics and double-talk interpretations of the Constitution presented by the pro-brain damage faction cause you to qualify for a Darwin award!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #12 - 07/06/11 at 15:05:16

Helmets are optional here in NH but I wear one all the time. I don't care what other people do. Same with seat belts. Not required here but I use them. If the next guy doesn't want to, thats his decision.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/06/11 at 15:16:16

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 07/06/11 at 15:05:16:
Helmets are optional here in NH but I wear one all the time. I don't care what other people do. Same with seat belts. Not required here but I use them. If the next guy doesn't want to, thats his decision.

AL

& the trumpets blare

Dunt Dunt Duhh Duuuuhhhhh!

Thats the Libertarian attitude,, & I support it fully,,

IP Logged
joscswny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NH
Reply #14 - 07/08/11 at 05:39:39

I'm with Al and Justin on this one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print