Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Buying my first car tomorrow (Read 318 times)
Biddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buying my first car tomorrow
07/04/11 at 18:51:42

I'm buying my first car tomorrow. A '66 Malibu SS with a 454 crate in it. I know most of us don't like cages, but for a cage this is about as good as it gets. This isn't the exact one; however it looks the same as mine. 400 HP at the rear.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Buying my first car tomorrow
Reply #1 - 07/04/11 at 18:56:34

Woof!!!... Shocked...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Biddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/04/11 at 18:58:30

My bad actually 440HP at the rear. Trade off is it only gets 15 mpg going downhill with a tailwind.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/04/11 at 21:33:51

Not sure how much you know about cars but with one that old that has been modified, condition is EVERYTHING! If you don't know a lot, get someone who does to help you. I bought my first car 46 years ago when I was 12 & I've seen more bad things in modified cars than you can imagine. Me & a couple of friends used to specialize in finding ones people had put major bucks into before giving up & selling them.

BTW, a small magnet hidden in a rag is your best friend. Run it over the body, especially around the fenders, to find body filler hiding flaws. Just one of MANY things to look for. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/04/11 at 21:36:54

& look down the sides from front & rear, lean back & forth to see how much rippling you see,, thatll show about every ittle door ding you can imagine.. If you can park it under fluorescents, you can see any roof/hood/deck lid dings.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/05/11 at 03:52:50

Biddie if you really need it buy it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 07/05/11 at 05:12:00

Nice....Classic Muscle Car, and highly collectable. Look it over real good. If its not a basket case and the price is right,,, snap it up. Post some pics if ya get it.

I had the very same car when I was 19, Candy Apple Red, 4 speed, side pipes, ladder bars. Engine was a LT 1 - 350 -- 375 hp out of a corvette.

« Last Edit: 07/05/11 at 08:10:44 by SavRon »  
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 07/05/11 at 05:53:06

Don't know about your experience, but this is like giving a teenager a Hyabusa. The only difference is they don't make these any more. The steering and brakes, unless modified along with the suspension, are not what we call good quality today. A crate 454 can have as little as 260 hp, so don't get all excited about that. NOW the good news. I love the 66 and 67 body. I also don't care about body filler when done right. My first car was a 390 Ford. I worked on it constantly--and loved it! You will probably get closer to 11 mpg with a carbureted engine. My advice is free and given from a long look back. Drive the speed limit, keep your head, and make friends with the old guys who will most assuredly want to look it over at the 7-11. Enjoy your new car by driving responsibly and knowing what it can do without showing off. And don't ever sell it if you can even park it in a barn and let it rust. I traded a '65 Mustang fastback that should still be in our barn. Don't do that. Enjoy and show us real pics when you get home. This is great.  Boofer  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/05/11 at 07:01:17

& hes right about Bondo,, Done well,, its not a bad thing at all,,, Ive put it on a Mack that was used in the oilfiled,, it bounced up & down those horrible roads & never shed any of the mud I smeared on it. & some of it was so deep I ran a welding rod across the dent to work like re-bar. Carefully laid in mud can be deep & not crack. I wouldnt have done that, but the dent simply would not pull with the equipment I had,, my come along was dragging the fork lift,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/05/11 at 17:21:07

15mpg? From a 454? Unless it has a modern EFI set up with matching computer controlled 4 speed automatic it won't happen. Those cars have the aerodynamics of a brick with the edges worn off. I used to drive a 68 Pontiac Catalina with a 2bbl 400 from a 69 Firebird. On a good, and I mean GOOD day it got 4 mpg. 400 is a destroked/underbored 455 (same block).

That said, if it is decent, go for it. I have a 318 powered 69 Dodge truck that gets 8-12 mpg. The 413-3 powered motorhome gets 6-8 mpg. Heck my Savage MIGHT get 30 mpg with all the mods and high bars.

I commute in a 94 Ranger 2wd shortbed with a 2.3L 4 banger and a 5 spd manual. 25-30 mpg. The rest are just toys, never trust a vintage vehicle, they are all haunted. And leak. But usually worth it. You won't score any fun girls in a Prius...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/05/11 at 18:09:58

You won't score any fun girls in a Prius...

Thats okay,, fun guys dont drive a Prius,, whatever a guy in a Prius scores,, he deserves,,

I had a Z28 with a 327,, it was okay, but The most Fun car I ever had was a 78 Grand Prix with a 400 in it,, that thing would fly thru a corner like nobodies  bidniss.. A passenger got scared in a corner & let go of his beer, it didnt hit the floor, or the seat, it went between my arms as I held the wheel & hit my door.. Thats cornering,, I couldnt make the Camaro generate that kinda G forces in a corner. & the 400 gave me close to 12 MPG.. The 460 I had in a BIGGO Mercury gave me 8 MPG, uphill, into the wind, or off a cliff with a tailwind,, it didnt matter..

IP Logged
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Reply #11 - 07/05/11 at 19:38:53

You only live once, but as Boofer said, keep your head and don't do anything stupid with it.  Remember that he wants to sell it more than you want to buy it and be sure to pay your price and not his.  As long as you have the Savage as your primary vehicle you'll be alright. Cool

Ride free!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 07/06/11 at 05:27:32

Closest I ever had to a muscle car was a '69 'Chief with a small block 350, 4barrel, 300 horse heads,and  headers. Bought it for $50 sight unseen from a friend of my dad, who had loaned it to his son, who did the mods.
Cost me $6 to safety and I drove it for 7 years with only minor repairs. Sold it for $500 to a kid who wanted the motor.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 07/06/11 at 05:45:07

Mine was a brand new 1964 chevy 409 impala 340 hp power glide.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 07/06/11 at 07:10:19

Biddie, congratulations on your "new, old" car. Man those
muscle cars are still ones that will turn this gals head.
I love looking at them when we go to the races.
Would love to drive one and who knows, someday I
just might.. Enjoy it and be sure to post pics of yourself
with it.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:19:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Buying my first car tomorrow

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!