Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where to get gel material for seat modification (Read 192 times)
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Where to get gel material for seat modification
07/04/11 at 12:04:14

I've seen some sites that talk about modifying your seat UNDER the cover with gel material and then restapling the cover back down.
Does anyone know where one can buy the gel material itself to be cut to shape?
Googled it but I just get back results of where to buy gel seat covers.

Many thanks!

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Where to get gel material for seat modificatio
Reply #1 - 07/04/11 at 16:17:25

Try searching for wheelchair gel seat and you should find results of cushions you could cut up and modify. Did something similar on mine a few years ago and I love it!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/11/11 at 13:41:20

I found bulk sheets of gel padding that you can "cut-to-fit" by just searching online....sorry I didn't keep the address but it might have been from JC Whitney.   I opted for two cheap gel seat covers for a bicycle at Walmart for $9 each and used those.  Just located them as you prefer and trim as needed.  They seem to do the job for me.

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 07/12/11 at 06:03:42

Saddlemen sells raw gel pads.  I have one in my seat.

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=169_214

I believe I found them on Amazon and other places also, just search for Saddlemen Raw Gel.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
uebermann
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/12/11 at 08:44:22

I just got my Saddlemen gel seat and so far I'm very unimpressed for how much it cost.  I was expecting to be able to ride for longer than 1.5 hours before having to stop due to dead butt, but this could be an issue just specific to me since I'm at near 250 lbs these days.

I've not given up on it just yet, but I'm tired of fiddling with the darn harness as it keeps coming off while riding.  The gel pad doesn't move but I've got the harness on so tight that I'm afraid its going to warp the seat.  

If it doesn't work out, I may try some cheapy memory foam or gel from cushions at Walmart and try modding the seat as well.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 07/15/11 at 06:15:19

uebermann wrote on 07/12/11 at 08:44:22:
I just got my Saddlemen gel seat and so far I'm very unimpressed for how much it cost.  I was expecting to be able to ride for longer than 1.5 hours before having to stop due to dead butt, but this could be an issue just specific to me since I'm at near 250 lbs these days.

I've not given up on it just yet, but I'm tired of fiddling with the darn harness as it keeps coming off while riding.  The gel pad doesn't move but I've got the harness on so tight that I'm afraid its going to warp the seat.  

If it doesn't work out, I may try some cheapy memory foam or gel from cushions at Walmart and try modding the seat as well.

Let me start off by admitting this thing looks DORKY!

Its one redeeming value, though, is that it works.  

I used to use big bikes for touring, and to travel to conferences for work.  For years I put up with bike butt as just something, up with which, one had to put.

Then I saw a bike in the Pentagon parking lot with one of these strung on it.  I left the guy a note to contact me.  He told me all about it.

It is nothing more than an air mattress configured for a motorcycle seat.  Looks awful, works fantastic.  Cheap too ($59).  No more bike butt,... well,... actually the bike butt occurs after several hours rather than half an hour.

I don't use it much anymore, because I seldom go for rides of more than an hour or so.  I would use it on any kind of extended ride, though.

http://allynair.com/Eagle-seat.html

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #6 - 07/15/11 at 16:13:24

My seat modification:

With tax, a total of $19 bucks, and took about 5 minutes to install. I can now ride MUCH longer without my rear side issuing me death threats!  Shocked

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
CBH
YaBB Newbies

Mid Ohio Valley
Reply #7 - 07/15/11 at 18:08:25

I may have to get myself one of those Stearns seat pads!

1986 Suzuki Savage LS650
1993 GoldWing GL1500 Interstate
1984 Honda Shadow VT700
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:24:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where to get gel material for seat modification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.