Helmet Style (Read 838 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: Helmet Style
Reply #45 - 07/05/11 at 12:58:24

Every statistic ive seen says otherwise. That helmets DO increase your chance of surviveing an accident AND prevent more severe injuries.

Thinking?
Stands to reason you have your head in a helmet when you go down it decreases the chance of you ripping your lower jaw off, loseing your teeth, cavenig in your skull or grinding your face off against the pavement.
Just like your less likely to receive a major head injury by wearing a helmet when playing football, baseball or even rideing a bicycle or quad.
Ive known to many people who wouldnt be here now if they hadnt been wearing a helmet when they crashed on a bike or quad.
And known those that would still be here if they had been wearing one.

ANY pretective gear is better then none anytime your in an accident.
Thats easy to prove.
Put your helmet on and just fall over backwards and see how bad it hurts. Then do it without your helmet and see how bad you get hurt.
I cant believe you said that paladin.
"Statisticly the helmets do *NOT* change the rates of injury/deaths/ accidents."

No they wont change the rates of the accidents. But funny thing is one of the reasons you hear from most non helmet wearers is not wearing a helmet lets them hear and see better to more easily avoid accidents???

And i do believe theres a couple of states already that you have to have a large insurance policy if you ride helmetless.
So some are changenig their rates as to if you wear a helmet or not.

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #46 - 07/05/11 at 13:43:30

Paladin. wrote on 07/05/11 at 07:15:17:
Wolfman wrote on 07/04/11 at 17:02:16:
....  there needs to be some kind of wavior on insurance or something so everyone else dont end up picking up the medical tab if someone takes a crash sans helmet. Should be mandatory organ donors as well ....

Insurance Companies have rates for your age, years of experience, how many miles a year you ride, if you ride for commuting or play, even if you park in a garage.  They already CAN and DO adjust rates for anything that could cost them money.  They do *NOT* change the rates for people use helmets and ATGATT versus those who do not.

THINK people!  Don't you think the Insurance industry would bump up the rates if "protection" matters?  Statistically the helmets do not change the rates of injury/deaths / accidents.

is it worth betting your life on?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
ocdave
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 07/05/11 at 17:40:53

Interesting discussion. As mentioned earlier, there is something to be said about the visibility and comfort gained by wearing a 1/2 helmet.  
I have over 25+ years of riding in one of the busiest metropolitan areas without a scratch. I have dodged more bullets or should I say car missiles to count. I'm also knocking on wood as I type. Regardless, Ride like your invisible!

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #48 - 07/06/11 at 07:30:05

I now wear a ff modular. I had a ff before.
No matter the laws, I would wear one.
I have been down, smashed the side of my
face against the pavement. My jaw hit so hard,
in fact my face bounced a little. No damage to
my face, jaw, teeth, neck.
Made a believer out of me that ff helmets do their
jobs.
I know had I NOT been wearing a helmet, I would have
suffered severe if not deadly injuries.
Paramedics, deputy, praised me for being in full gear
as well.
Again, I ride my bike, my way, my style, my type of
gear. My choice and no one will convince me that it
is not safe to wear a ff helmet.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #49 - 07/06/11 at 14:09:52

After reading the opinions in this thread I bought a Shoei RF-1100 full face helmet today.
It figures that I would have to spend a lot of money to get one that fit. I must have tried on every flip up and full face helmet in the city of London. I wore it home from the store at speeds up to 70 mph, and am very impressed with the comfort, noise level, and aero dynamics. I doesn't lift at all.  It feels kind of claustrophobic though, which I imagine I'll get used to, and it's pretty warm in there when you stop at lights, as it is 28 deg C today.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #50 - 07/06/11 at 17:21:59

Fulmer D5, shiny black to match my bike. Yeah, I'm on a cruiser in a tank top with a FF.. and no windshield on the freeway Smiley

IP Logged
surtees
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

los angeles
Reply #51 - 07/07/11 at 22:58:39

my gear in the mid 70's (on my 52 AJS single bopper)

and my gear now, ff, armored jacket, boots, everything but airbags...

older, wiser, or just more afraid of becoming scrambled eggs...
In any case I still love to ride the twisties in the santa monica mountains and that has not changed a bit.

IP Logged
Scott2.0
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit
Reply #52 - 07/08/11 at 05:08:37

FWIW, I just bought the Bell Arrow and for $100 I couldn't be happier.  If anyone is on the fence about a FF and doesn't want to drop a lot of cash, I highly recommend it.  In matte black it looks badass too!   Cool

http://leatherup.com/p/Bell-Full-Face-Helmets/Bell-Arrow-Matte-Black-Full-Fac...

2004 Savage, HD muffler, K&N, white spacer mod, 152.5 main, 55 pilot.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #53 - 07/08/11 at 05:17:33

Scott2.0 wrote on 07/08/11 at 05:08:37:
FWIW, I just bought the Bell Arrow and for $100 I couldn't be happier.  If anyone is on the fence about a FF and doesn't want to drop a lot of cash, I highly recommend it.  In matte black it looks badass too!   Cool

http://leatherup.com/p/Bell-Full-Face-Helmets/Bell-Arrow-Matte-Black-Full-Fac...

My Fulmer D5 is basically the same thing, paid $85 for it Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #54 - 07/08/11 at 05:52:30

The HJC modular is pricier, but the flip front is really handy for wearinf glasses & at a light, wanting fresh air, or if ya need to talk to someone,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #55 - 07/08/11 at 05:55:32

The modular don't fit as nice on my weird shaped head for some reason, but being able to flip it up and talk would be great.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #56 - 07/08/11 at 14:07:56

All I've ever known was the half helmet I have now.  Still a relatively new rider, got my first motorcycle last year....the '96 savage I still ride as much as I can, but had a dirtbike when I was a kid.  Not quite the same, I know.
My outlook on life is that I have almost as much a chance of being killed at work on a daily basis as I do on the bike.  I work with medium voltage equipment with the occasional low voltage stuff thrown in - 480 VAC up to 25.2 KVAC.  Been doing this almost 10 years, and ride with the same attitude that I maintain at work - Pay attention to what you're doing and what everyone around you is doing.
I feel that whether you wear the protective equipment or not, it should be up to you.  I hate the fact that lawmakers feel the need to make us do what they feel is the right thing, doesn't matter whether it's seatbelts in cages, helmets on bikers, same sex marriages, or the right to have an abortion.  It should be up to the people to make decisions for themselves, not be told what to do and how to do it.
Just my $.02...and it's your right to agree or disagree with me.

delucaja   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:28:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmet Style

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.