Front Brake Issue (Read 266 times)
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Front Brake Issue
07/01/11 at 00:01:10

So, my front brake is acting weird. When I first got it we put fluid in it, bled it and was good to go. About a week later I was trying to back it out of the driveway and it felt really heavy. I realized the front brake was grabbing. So we let the pressure off and tightened it again, front wheel rolled freely. A few days later, same thing.

It's not locking up, it's just gradually getting tighter. Ideas?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Front Brake Issue
Reply #1 - 07/01/11 at 04:10:32

It sounds like a bleeding issue. Air in the lines expands when heated by ambient temps or by braking heat. Also, what model is it it? A collapsed inner hose can cause similar symptoms. It lets fluid through but it can't get back past inner obstruction.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 07/01/11 at 04:16:56

My '87 will drag just a little when I back up, does not do it when going forward.  I have no idea why that happens and it does not appear to be hurting anything.  Huh

I try not to back up. Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 07/01/11 at 04:25:34

I just noticed no one has ever asked about putting on a back up safety beeper.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 07/01/11 at 04:43:22

He does not complain of a mushy brake. If it's not mushy it can't be air in the line. Could be a problem with the brake line as Boofer has said. Also check that the tiny vents on the top cap are clear. If they are plugged the fluid won't return to the reservoir as it should, thereby keeping pressure on the brake pads.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/01/11 at 05:41:59

What year is bike, or how many miles on it? As with cars, sometimes the caliper itself begins to seize up, due to internal dirt and rust. If you feel comfortable with it, disassemble caliper and clean it real good. I'd use some emery cloth on the inside of caliper bore, and outside of caliper piston itself. Probably a good idea to replace the seals if you go this route. Otherwise maybe replace the caliper with new--if cost permits.
Also check that the pads are able to slide back and forth. If the pads become seized where they sit, you may encounter the same symptoms. Good luck with it.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/01/11 at 06:41:04

Check to see if there is a small amount of clearance between your brake lever & the master cylinder piston. Mine was doing what you describe & I discovered the lever had NO clearance at all. Most bikes have a screw to adjust this, the Savage does not. I took off my lever & filed it to allow it to come out a little further until I had a few thousandths clearance before contacting the piston. This cured my problem & it hasn't come back. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 07/01/11 at 09:11:56

If none of the suggestions above solve the problem, check whether to caliper slides in and out (right and left) easily on it's mounting posts.

There's the curved piece that bolts to the fork leg. That piece has two posts bolted to it. They're hidden by the black rubber boots. The caliper slides onto the posts. Sometimes the posts get gummy and the caliper can't slide in and out. When the caliper piston releases pressure, the pad on the piston side relaxes, but the other pad is left dragging against the back side of the rotor.

You can check if this is the problem without taking anything apart. The next time the brake acts as you describe, push the caliper toward the right side. Then see if the problem persists.

If that fixes it, then you can either live with pushing the caliper over from time to time, or you can take off the wheel, pull the caliper off the posts, then clean and grease the posts and the holes in the caliper they slide into. The posts are slightly hexagonal. The flat areas are there to leave room for grease.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #8 - 07/03/11 at 13:34:43

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/01/11 at 06:41:04:
Check to see if there is a small amount of clearance between your brake lever & the master cylinder piston. Mine was doing what you describe & I discovered the lever had NO clearance at all. Most bikes have a screw to adjust this, the Savage does not. I took off my lever & filed it to allow it to come out a little further until I had a few thousandths clearance before contacting the piston. This cured my problem & it hasn't come back. Cool

Tried this. My lever was putting pressure but we ground it down and it didn't fix it.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #9 - 07/03/11 at 13:35:16

Boofer wrote on 07/01/11 at 04:10:32:
It sounds like a bleeding issue. Air in the lines expands when heated by ambient temps or by braking heat. Also, what model is it it? A collapsed inner hose can cause similar symptoms. It lets fluid through but it can't get back past inner obstruction.

This might be the issue, I'll have to take it a part and check. Thanks

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #10 - 07/03/11 at 13:36:18

drums1 wrote on 07/01/11 at 05:41:59:
What year is bike, or how many miles on it? As with cars, sometimes the caliper itself begins to seize up, due to internal dirt and rust. If you feel comfortable with it, disassemble caliper and clean it real good. I'd use some emery cloth on the inside of caliper bore, and outside of caliper piston itself. Probably a good idea to replace the seals if you go this route. Otherwise maybe replace the caliper with new--if cost permits.
Also check that the pads are able to slide back and forth. If the pads become seized where they sit, you may encounter the same symptoms. Good luck with it.

She's an '87 with 13k miles. My brother says the caliper looks good.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #11 - 07/03/11 at 13:37:20

MotoBuddha wrote on 07/01/11 at 09:11:56:
If none of the suggestions above solve the problem, check whether to caliper slides in and out (right and left) easily on it's mounting posts.

There's the curved piece that bolts to the fork leg. That piece has two posts bolted to it. They're hidden by the black rubber boots. The caliper slides onto the posts. Sometimes the posts get gummy and the caliper can't slide in and out. When the caliper piston releases pressure, the pad on the piston side relaxes, but the other pad is left dragging against the back side of the rotor.

You can check if this is the problem without taking anything apart. The next time the brake acts as you describe, push the caliper toward the right side. Then see if the problem persists.

If that fixes it, then you can either live with pushing the caliper over from time to time, or you can take off the wheel, pull the caliper off the posts, then clean and grease the posts and the holes in the caliper they slide into. The posts are slightly hexagonal. The flat areas are there to leave room for grease.

hm...this might be the issue as well. I'll check it out today and let you know. Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/03/11 at 15:01:35

Im not thinkin the wheel has to come off to get the caliper off..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #13 - 07/03/11 at 15:32:59

No, the wheel doesn't need to come off if you're going to remove the whole caliper. It will just slide off the rotor once it's unbolted from the fork.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/03/11 at 15:39:04

BIve heard of a bad hose causing this kind of problem.. Make sure the caliper will slide on its pins, if it still drags hard,, get a hose on it,, now is a good time to upgrade to stainless braid if the hose is the problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:29:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Brake Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.