Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Joining the Fray NTM S40 (Read 176 times)
SuperChief
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joining the Fray NTM S40
06/30/11 at 19:45:25

Just purchased a 2007 S40. Kind of loud, backfires alot, Can barely climb the hills at 70 on hilly WV interstates, has a dent in the tank, bent clutch lever broken footpeg and the chrome needs polished.

Overall it will be cool to clean up, tune-up and possibly reconfigure it into something other than a low and slow coughing, snorting, thumper.

Anyone recomend good footpegs and new grips. Something more functional than fashionable, for it's cruiser configuration?  

I also wonder about putting a wider lower set of bars on it. Not quite beach cruisers, But something close.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Joining the Fray NTM S40
Reply #1 - 06/30/11 at 23:14:59

SuperChief wrote on 06/30/11 at 19:45:25:
Overall it will be cool to clean up, tune-up and possibly reconfigure it into something other than a low and slow coughing, snorting, thumper.

Welcome Chief... Low, slow, and snorting, we might be able to help...
Thumper,... you're stuck with...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 07/01/11 at 04:23:20

I noticed an aftermarket muffler. That could be some of your problem. Carb probably needs jetting to run an open pipe (is it open?) A simple vacuum problem could be causing the back fires. The fuelcock and the accompanying vacuum hose cause misery eventually. Have you been lurking or is this site new to you? Your problems are mentioned on a regular basis. If not roam around in the tech section and see if you find something pertaining to you. And ask questions. Year, mileage, mods from previous owner that you know of. Get a Clymers manual to help. (Pictures) Good luck and welcome.  Smiley Others will be along shortly to offer more.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
SuperChief
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/01/11 at 08:52:32

Fortunately I got the manual w the bike. The exhaust is a Jardine, I haven't really looked at to see if I can repack the muffler.

First thing on the list to find some footpegs that are rubbery, and under 50.00 dollars. Then I can get it inspected licensed and legal. Then I'll repack the muffler, and make carb adjustments and jetting changes to get it running properly.

Pegs and grips, where do you get the best bang for the buck?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 07/01/11 at 08:56:30

SuperChief wrote on 07/01/11 at 08:52:32:
Fortunately I got the manual w the bike. The exhaust is a Jardine, I haven't really looked at to see if I can repack the muffler.

First thing on the list to find some footpegs that are rubbery, and under 50.00 dollars. Then I can get it inspected licensed and legal. Then I'll repack the muffler, and make carb adjustments and jetting changes to get it running properly.

Pegs and grips, where do you get the best bang for the buck?

Ebay seems to be the "best bang for the buck" but you have to know what will/will not work.

Handlebars are 1" (so I've been told, haven't replaced my grips yet)
Footpegs - HD takeoffs/replacements will work, but the mounting hole needs to be drilled/machined out to fit the mounting bolt on our bikes. (Just picked some up and I'm going to try that this week)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #5 - 07/01/11 at 10:03:02

EJID, where'd you get those foot pegs? There's a seller on Ebay offering nice Chrome/Rubber ringed front pegs from HDs that are already drilled out for the Suzuki, but they are over $60.

Also, yes, the bars are 1".

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 07/01/11 at 10:10:23

I know which ones you're talking about (believe the seller is DJ Customs - or something like that).

I just kept watch for used pegs that would work and ended up with 2 pairs of Kurakyn(sp) ISO pegs for $23 including shipping. They have a few scuffs, but once I drill them out I think they should work great with the new extended controls that another member sold me (waiting for them to arrive still)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #7 - 07/01/11 at 11:06:29

footpegs? you can get the stock style round rubber harley pegs for a couple $ from any shop/dealer. the hole is a bit too small for the stock suzuki bolt, so just take that bolt and your new pegs into Lowes and root around til you find the right size replacement alen head bolt and a brass collar that fits in the hole. if this costs you more than $20, i'd say you got screwed somewhere. no pun intended.

should probably crack open the carb, clean it, and see what type of jets you have in there.

and good luck!

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 07/19/11 at 12:30:55

groupus wrote on 07/01/11 at 11:06:29:
footpegs? you can get the stock style round rubber harley pegs for a couple $ from any shop/dealer. the hole is a bit too small for the stock suzuki bolt, so just take that bolt and your new pegs into Lowes and root around til you find the right size replacement alen head bolt and a brass collar that fits in the hole. if this costs you more than $20, i'd say you got screwed somewhere. no pun intended.

should probably crack open the carb, clean it, and see what type of jets you have in there.

and good luck!

This is exactly what I did & it works perfectly Smiley Loving the new pegs & thanks for the tip Groupus

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:14:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Joining the Fray NTM S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.