Fuel (Read 264 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Fuel
06/30/11 at 18:40:03

Interesting here in Moses Lake, WA Conoco is selling fuel w/o ethanol in it. It is competitively priced and seems to have resolved an intermittent fuel starvation symptom I had on the sidecar rig. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Re: Fuel
Reply #1 - 06/30/11 at 19:53:55

We only have a few stations left within a 30+ mile radius that still sell 100% gas. My mother rides cross country in a GS1200 BMW hack and can attest to the mileage drop from some of those places that "premix" the gas. Does your sidecar rig have a underside tank or one mounted on the back?

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/30/11 at 20:30:56

We just got our statewide "public notice" in the paper that E15 gas has been approved for distribution in NC and the full NC distribution plan has been approved as well.

The plan includes warnings on the pump that you can't use the stuff in a two stroke or lawnmower engine.

The plan DOES NOT include requiring that 100% gas be available or that E10 be still available at every station for lawnmowers and two stroke engines.  

(Apparently WalMart will be selling lawnmower gas in throw away containers pretty soon in NC just like they do the Coleman fuel for lanterns and stoves.)

I expect that widespread E15 use will show up even more little problems with the Savage fuel system, including the fact the stock vac petcock won't flow enough liquid fuel to keep you going at full speed without some starvation effects due to the still yet lower energy content of the E15 fuel.  

Plus the newspaper mentioned E15 attacking older forms of rubber seals and hoses .....   great, huh.

Any car that is 2007 or newer is supposed to be able to use the stuff with no issues.

To deal with E15 we may be talking Raptor and a paper filter as a bare minimum, but we may also be talking some rejetting as well as this stuff is gonna burn "leaner" at the same stock flow rates when you run it at full speeds.   Less hydrocarbon molecules per given volume you know.

E15 or E85, which are they gonna call it in your state?

I call it more trouble on the way ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/30/11 at 20:55:13

I HATE this sh.t!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/30/11 at 22:52:55

Here, they add MTBE's half the year... it was supposed to keep the air clean... turns out,.. it leaches into the water supply...
Oh yeah,... great!...

Smells funny too...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 07/01/11 at 04:32:59

Oldfeller, I talked to a lady who has sold gas for around 20 years. She is in Alabama and sells straight gas. She told me that here in Mississippi it is a law that our fuel has to have Ethanol. She also said cars 2004 and up can handle Ethanol. Just repeating what she said. Apparently just approving Ethanol is not the same as making it law.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 07/01/11 at 05:55:36

Racine, WI here. Being between Milwaukee and Chicago, we have been on a steady diet of ethenol laced gas for the last 10-15 years. It's all my bike has ever seen. Except for when I road trip west, away from the big lake. Some places there still have pure gas, and I, too, have noticed increased mileage when using it. It sucks, but it's never going away, for pollution reasons, being where I am.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/01/11 at 06:21:16

In NC we have been using E10 for the past forever -- we don't even have labels on the pumps any more as any "regular" 87 octane gas has 10% alchohol and up to 3.3% of emulsified water legally as part of the anti-knock package.

With E15 the legislature did some research and is requiring E15 pump labels that say "NOT FOR LAWNMOWERS OR TWO STROKE ENGINES" which are comments that pretty much apply to E10 as well.

Within a couple of years, the E15 labels on the pumps will no longer be required as mowers and two strokes are gonna have to learn how to deal with it as it will be our 87 octane "regular" gas just like E10 was previously.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Africord
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/01/11 at 06:55:42

Wow, our E10 is actually 89 octane and improves gas mileage.  I've tested it in both the Savage, and my VFR800.  We also have E85, but not for widespread distribution.  Our 87 and 91 octane gas does not contain ethanol.  This is interesting as we are one of the states with a major commitment to ethanol production.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/01/11 at 06:56:39

The only way I can get 100% gas is premium and have to pay about 50 cents more for it,Last year was the last I could get the %100 in regular.I notice a 3% - 4% decrease in mpg in my car with the %10 stuff.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 07/01/11 at 06:57:33

Been running corn for over 4 yrs in everything, including,.....
car, Toyota truck, 454 Motohhome, 4stroke outboard, Kawi Mule, S-40, a 4 stroke big tiller, a 2 stroke little tiller, and a 4 stroke lawn mower.
Not one problem ever,......except dirt plugging a carb jet,......before me looking into the tank to see grass and leaves floating around !
Ethanol is just something government related for all you whiners to blame any little fuel problem on to, when the blame really lies w/ your poor maintainence, dirty fuel, and lack of fuel filters.

I ran a thread not long ago,....not a one of you whiners out there could come up w/ even one pc of hardcore evidence of any problem cause by Ethanol fuel.

Now, ya all quit you're whine'n, and go find the real cause of you're problems ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 07/01/11 at 07:44:02

Or get one of these...

http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/01/11 at 11:07:28

Not just something to whine about, I can't say it has or has not made anything run any better or any worse.

But it IS a case of the government APPROVING that the fuel companies can now add 5% more junk/useless material/filler into a gallon of gas, which means they are now "givin' the nod" to big oil to charge you the same amount of money for a gallon of something that in not 100% gas.......so your 3.50 cents is now paying for 5% less gas.
It is giving big oil the get outta jail free card for selling 85% of the product at 100% of the price.
So the price of gas will "go down" to the clueless, when really-its going up.
Stop using it if you don't like it, you say?   C'mon, ......really?
Government endorsement is the only thing that is keeping this from being criminal  Wink.
Remember "It's not wrong if we say it 'aint!!"

I for one like the idea of making all stuff run on ethanol, or seawater.

Just have a hard time swallowing the "fleecing" pill.....

God bless you each one.

Farmer

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/01/11 at 11:07:37

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL

Find ethanol free stations.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/01/11 at 11:08:51

VAFarmer wrote on 07/01/11 at 11:07:28:
Not just something to whine about, I can't say it has or has not made anything run any better or any worse.

But it IS a case of the government APPROVING that the fuel companies can now add 5% more junk/useless material/filler into a gallon of gas, which means they are now "givin' the nod" to big oil to charge you the same amount of money for a gallon of something that in not 100% gas.......so your 3.50 cents is now paying for 5% less gas.
It is giving big oil the get outta jail free card for selling 85% of the product at 100% of the price.
So the price of gas will "go down" to the clueless, when really-its going up.
Stop using it if you don't like it, you say?   C'mon, ......really?
Government endorsement is the only thing that is keeping this from being criminal  Wink.
Remember "It's not wrong if we say it 'aint!!"

I for one like the idea of making all stuff run on ethanol, or seawater.

Just have a hard time swallowing the "fleecing" pill.....

God bless you each one.

Farmer

& Bless your Pea Pickin HEART!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:26:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.