Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doesn't this look off? (Rim) (Read 490 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Doesn't this look off? (Rim)
Reply #15 - 06/30/11 at 11:43:50

Looks to me like the holes are drilled so the spokes pull straight rather than from the top of the dimple at an angle. Should be stronger that way. My guess would be the wheel is dimpled so a variety of spoke crossing patterns can be used. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #16 - 06/30/11 at 15:43:47

Ordinarily, with spoke at this angle, the holes wound be on the side of the dimples, not down where the dimple meets the rest of the rim.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 07/04/11 at 06:03:42

If they would have drilled the holes so that the holes were in the dimple, they would have looked like this (the wheel from RYCA):

Both solutions stink.

To Ryan's credit, though, he did offer to make it right through a refund or a redo.  We just don't want to wait.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/03/11 at 12:25:44

The rim is generic. It does look as if the spokes are straight not bowed. I wonder how well the nipples are seated. I'll bet not very well unless they weld a raised area and reground a new seat. That is exactly what I did with my RYCA wheel. Have fun!. Phantom

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/03/11 at 13:42:48

I think Babyhog is right, the spokes they used were too long so they compensated by drilling where they did.  I would send it back and get it done right.  Don't want to be doing 60 mph when you find out it isn't going to work right.  Plus it doesn't look right.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 09/03/11 at 14:48:50

The wheel is drilled for a rear wheel when the spokes must be at quite an angle. If the hole was in the center of the dimple, it would be for a front wheel when the spokes are straight,...perpindicular to the wheel.
I'm not sure there is anything wrong about it.
The hole is for sure drilled on the correct side of the dimple, but maybe a touch to the extreeme.

When I look at the fartherest spoke in this pic of my rear wheel, I see very little difference. And I see that mine are not all identical.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/03/11 at 15:45:41

Routy, with all due respect we are refering to an 18 inch wheel which changes everthing. I believe by your photo yours is the stock 15 inch. The spokes on the 18 inch wheel are not too long and are laced properly. As I stated earlier the wheel rim is generic. No, I don't care for it ether.The whole safety factor is in the spoke (nipple seat). If the nipple is not seated properly then the spoke is not going to carry the required load.       Have Fun! Phantom

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 09/03/11 at 16:52:26

Pardon me, but I don't understand why an 18" wheel make any difference. But if you are convinced that the nuts are not seated good enough to carry the load,.... Roll Eyesthen so be it. But then I'd guess mine aren't either. As I said, I see little difference between the seating between mine and yours. Just looking at my stock wheel, I'd say this spoke nut seating is not rocket science, nor does it need to be to be dependable.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #23 - 09/03/11 at 18:45:17

Routy wrote on 09/03/11 at 16:52:26:
Pardon me, but I don't understand why an 18" wheel make any difference.

I think Ryca is running the spokes to the wrong holes in the hub.  There are various lacing patterns that would work. It means having the right length spokes, though.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:18:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Doesn't this look off? (Rim)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.