Send Topic Print
Savage Bobber Project (Read 1923 times)
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Re: Savage Bobber Project
Reply #45 - 07/07/11 at 02:10:23

Does anbody have a wiring schedule/diagram?

My Savage came with a "custom" tail light, but this taillight didn't have any brake lights installed - I want to put a new tail light on it with brake lights (if possible).

Fred

Let's hope this Bobber project turns out alright.
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #46 - 07/07/11 at 05:53:38

Yes

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #47 - 07/07/11 at 07:34:59

Frederick wrote on 07/07/11 at 02:10:23:
Does anbody have a wiring schedule/diagram?

My Savage came with a "custom" tail light, but this taillight didn't have any brake lights installed - I want to put a new tail light on it with brake lights (if possible).

Fred

Tech Section, in the table of contents under Electrical

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #48 - 08/24/11 at 11:16:24

Been a while since my last update, but I tried to keep things moving as much as possible.

The wheels are (nearly) done. Installed the new bearings today (had to use Loctite 638 on one rear wheel bearing as it didn't want to sit still).

Lang geleden sinds een update, maar is een hele boel gedaan.

Alle motordeksels zijn gespoten, de voorvorkpoten en kroonstukken ook (foto's volgen).

- Stainless steel spokes
- Red rims
- Polished hubs, polished braking hub cover etc.
- New white wall tyres

All my engine covers are also just about finished. I spray painted these (hear resistant black).

I ordered gaskets online, plus new triple tree conical bearings.

I've also spray painted the front fork (legs and triple tree) - but I've come to the conclusion that I will powdercoat them instead. They look great, that's not the problem! The paint is just a bit weak in comparison to powdercoat.

Here is a picture of the front fork assembly + wheel:

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 08/24/11 at 12:04:02

Hey Frederick!! Looking good, really good.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #50 - 08/24/11 at 19:24:31

I love whitewalls!

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 08/25/11 at 12:35:34

just finished my bobber project, looks awesome man. Im gunna make a blog thread to show my progress

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #52 - 08/25/11 at 15:34:33

mmosel wrote on 08/24/11 at 19:24:31:
I love whitewalls!

Me too! Cool .They're getting harder to find in 15"

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #53 - 08/26/11 at 11:00:28

Awesome wheels! I love the white wall look also. I have solid flat red rims, it's a different look but I get tons of complements on it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Cam chain tensioner?
Reply #54 - 08/31/11 at 07:24:34

My cam chain tensioner is sticking out to 22mm. I read that it shouldn't be out more than 18mm.

I have been trying to adjust it, but the how-to on doing this on here hasn't been very helpful, or I am really doing something wrong.

According to Clymer you can take it apart and put it back in place in a fixed position (so that it will unwind itself into the correct tension).

Mine falls back into its old position (of 22mm).

What am I doing wrong? What are the correct steps to take to properly adjust the tensioners?

Regards,
Fred

WWW   IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Re: Cam chain tensioner?
Reply #55 - 08/31/11 at 16:00:28

Frederick wrote on 08/31/11 at 07:24:34:
My cam chain tensioner is sticking out to 22mm. I read that it shouldn't be out more than 18mm.

I have been trying to adjust it, but the how-to on doing this on here hasn't been very helpful, or I am really doing something wrong.

According to Clymer you can take it apart and put it back in place in a fixed position (so that it will unwind itself into the correct tension).

Mine falls back into its old position (of 22mm).

What am I doing wrong? What are the correct steps to take to properly adjust the tensioners?

Regards,
Fred

To the best of my knowledge, the tensioners aren't adjustable, they just provide constant spring tension to keep your cam timing correct as the chain stretches and the guides wear. You can reload it, but the spring will always go back to the point it makes contact with your (now stretched) cam chain.

As far as I know, you have 2 options;

1) use your tensioner and replace the cam chain and guides.  This will be pricey, and a big hassle.

2) buy a Verslavy chain tensioner from verslagen1 here on the website.  He sells a modded tensioner that has an extended life and stop pin, preventing any damage from the plunger popping out and allowing you to use your existing cam chain for a lot longer.

I'd go with option 2  Wink.  That's what I did, and I couldnt be happier.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #56 - 09/12/11 at 12:49:35

I will work the cam chain tension issue out another time (no worries, I won't be riding the bike).

Got the stuff back from the powdercoaters (frame, swing arm, complete forks and so on).

Here's the front fork assembly all put together - notice how I used the How-To on here to do the high risers using size 16 sockets.

I will be getting 14" apehanger handlebars. Not sure whether to get chrome ones or gold plated (chrome) ones - something to figure out later.

Frame looks good. Fitted the rear wheel to see how the fender positions in accordance with the wheel and its new tyres.

A little detail thing: I had the belt drive pulley sand blasted, I then masked off the fins and spray painted the pulley assembly in a (heat resistant) dark grey. I used stainless steel bolts and washers for the drive pulley plate. I covered the six M10x1.25 nuts that hold the pulley into place with black nut-covers.

I guess I could have left the drive belt pulley in its original glass-bead-blasted aluminum color, but I was afraid that it would oxidize after a certain amount of time.

Anyhow.

QUICK TO DO LIST

- Cam chain tensioner (later)
- Waiting on triple tree bearings (then I can finally mount my forks and have a rolling frame).
- Spray paint rear fender and tank
- Order 14" apehangers (probably gold)

Thanks for watching.

WWW   IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 09/12/11 at 21:19:59

Frederick wrote on 09/12/11 at 12:49:35:
notice how I used the How-To on here to do the high risers using size 16 sockets.

Smiley

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #58 - 09/12/11 at 23:55:20

Build is coming along nicely Fred ... lookin' good! BUT, a copper/gold tank with checker board stripe will not go with those lovely red rims and white walled tires ... the rims and tires are classic Americana "Hot Rod" ... a flat black tank with red/white pinstriping or pin-up gal decals would better suit IMHO ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #59 - 09/14/11 at 03:13:52

PerrydaSavage wrote on 09/12/11 at 23:55:20:
Build is coming along nicely Fred ... lookin' good! BUT, a copper/gold tank with checker board stripe will not go with those lovely red rims and white walled tires ... the rims and tires are classic Americana "Hot Rod" ... a flat black tank with red/white pinstriping or pin-up gal decals would better suit IMHO ...

No worries! As mentioned in the topic and posts above, I will have the rear fender and the tank spray painted matte black!

Fred

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Bobber Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.