EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Savage Bobber Project
Reply #15 - 07/01/11 at 12:10:34

Frederick wrote on 07/01/11 at 11:39:04:
I picked up the bike yesterday, I bought it for 400,- euros instead of 450,- euros. It has 13000 miles on the meter, and according to the previous owner the speedometer worked - so if those are real miles, that would be great (right?).

I also finally got the bike running today! It needed a bit of TLC.

- New battery
- New oil filter
- New oil
- New sparkplug

At first it didn't want to fire up with the new battery, gas and oil. I then exchanged the sparkplug, but before I fitted the new sparkplug, I sprayed gas/petrol into the combustion chamber. It then started up and it starts up ever since.

I guess it didn't want to suck through any petrol through the carb - now it does.

I also sandblasted the top of the carb (obviously after taking it apart) with glass bead. This really turned out great, I'm sure some of you have done this too so you know how the results are!

If thats all it took, you're in better luck than alot of newbs. Looking forward to what you're going to do with this one  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #16 - 07/02/11 at 09:00:10

Indeed, I was in some luck that everything ran just fine. Still have to check the cam chain. This has to be about 18mm out, correct?

Another question for the guys on here who also turned their Savages into bobbers/choppers; where do you guys tuck away all the wiring and electronic elements.

Furthermore, I want to move my batter from its current position. I will be running a K&N style filter (pointing either to the back or to the right/left side) but my batter is in the way.

Must the battery always be kept sitting straight up? Or can I tilt it backward a bit (about 30 degree angle)? If I can place it at a 30 degree angle (sitting backwards in its original position) then I have more space for my custom air filter, plus it will look nicer.

Fred

Let's hope this Bobber project turns out alright.
WWW   IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #17 - 07/02/11 at 12:15:52

This is how the bike is standing in my garage at the moment:

I have taken out the rear wheel, taken off the seat, air filter, battery box etc.

I have the following idea in regards to the battery, but I am more than sure it can't be done. As mentioned in my post above, I want to position my battery at an angle facing backward so that I have more space near and around my carb.

I want to go from this...

to this position...

Would this work, or must the battery be at a perpendicular position at all times?

Furthermore, I gave my Mikuni carb. a good clean up. I recently purchased a big sandblaster (on legs) which has been a great buy so far! I, obviously, used glass bead to blast the carb.

To:

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 07/02/11 at 12:23:42

Fred,, IDK that you cant tilt it 30*, but you can get a sealed gel mat type that you can get away with that on,

I hope you cleaned all the stuff outta all the cracks & crevasses

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #19 - 07/02/11 at 12:25:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/02/11 at 12:23:42:
Fred,, IDK that you cant tilt it 30*, but you can get a sealed gel mat type that you can get away with that on,

I just looked into a few gel batteries, but didn't find any in 14 Ah.

Do I necessarily need 14 Ah? Or can I get away with 12 Ah?

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 07/02/11 at 13:14:44

Look up 'bigcrank' it's an agm battery.  I think their website says you mount them anyway you want.

WWW   IP Logged
ROB CYCLE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/02/11 at 14:39:41

Frederick wrote on 07/02/11 at 09:00:10:
Indeed, I was in some luck that everything ran just fine. Still have to check the cam chain. This has to be about 18mm out, correct?

Another question for the guys on here who also turned their Savages into bobbers/choppers; where do you guys tuck away all the wiring and electronic elements.

Furthermore, I want to move my batter from its current position. I will be running a K&N style filter (pointing either to the back or to the right/left side) but my batter is in the way.

Must the battery always be kept sitting straight up? Or can I tilt it backward a bit (about 30 degree angle)? If I can place it at a 30 degree angle (sitting backwards in its original position) then I have more space for my custom air filter, plus it will look nicer.

Fred

I KEPT MY AIR BOX AND PUT ALL WIRING IN IT .OR YOU CAN FAB A SEAT PAN AND TUCK IT UNDER IT LIKE BCB

IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #22 - 07/02/11 at 14:43:38

ROB CYCLE wrote on 07/02/11 at 14:39:41:
Frederick wrote on 07/02/11 at 09:00:10:

Fred

I KEPT MY AIR BOX AND PUT ALL WIRING IN IT

Do you happen to have a picture of this? I don't think I can fit a K&N filter + my stock airbox and my batter at the same time Sad.

WWW   IP Logged
ROB CYCLE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/02/11 at 15:47:21

i do not have a k&n filter but one i got off ebay .iwill try to show you pic

IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #24 - 07/02/11 at 16:12:31

ROB CYCLE wrote on 07/02/11 at 15:47:21:
i do not have a k&n filter but one i got off ebay .iwill try to show you pic

Thanks in advance. I amy not even be running the K&N filter, but I want the space near my carb. to run a custom filter system.

Also, I really want the area of the stock filter to be free. I may even think of moving the batter to the rear - if not I want to put it somewhere else. But where?

WWW   IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #25 - 07/03/11 at 12:02:55

Alright guys, time for another small udpate.

Today I did the following:

- chopped the rear end of the frame
- cut parts of the side of the rear fender
- weld shut the excess holes in the fender
- weld struts to the rear tubing of the frame + top part
- started on the seat pan (welding shut some holes)

The rear of the frame.

This is how it first was:

I first chopped it, then welded the rear and top part with a strap of metal (2mm thick).

The rear fender

This was probably the most work. I didn't expect this to take so long, but some parts of the rear fender were 4 to 5mm thick.

During the cut:

This is after I cut both sides off and cleaned up the sides a bit. As you can see there are still some holes for the old mounts.

I welded those holes up:

And the hole is gone.. Smiley :

Looks neat in my opinion, should give my tire a better look (seeing that it is a whitewall tire I really wanted to show off the entire tire).

I lay the seat pan over the rear of the frame, still have to decide on positioning and obviously I still need to weld brackets for the single shock/suspension into place.

That was it for now. Will order my tires tonight + some other parts.

Fred

« Last Edit: 07/03/11 at 13:14:28 by Frederick »  

WWW   IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #26 - 07/03/11 at 18:25:41

This is how I solved the whole Airbox/Filter - Battery - Electrical thing....

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #27 - 07/03/11 at 22:23:11

Smokestack wrote on 07/03/11 at 18:25:41:
This is how I solved the whole Airbox/Filter - Battery - Electrical thing....

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/Smokestack75/SAM_0190.jpg

That looks nice. Did you bolt all the components in there too? Do you happen to have pictures from the other sides?

Fred

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #28 - 07/04/11 at 06:10:30

Frederick stated: I have the following idea in regards to the battery, but I am more than sure it can't be done. As mentioned in my post above, I want to position my battery at an angle facing backward so that I have more space near and around my carb.

Would this work, or must the battery be at a perpendicular position at all times?

Yes, no,.. you can't tilt a lead-acid battery like that.  Use a lithium ion battery.  http://www.tekbattery.com/Batteries/compare.jpg  and/or  http://www.shoraipower.com/

For this bike all you'd need is one about the size of two packs of cigarattes, and it can be mounted in ANY position you want. Kinda' pricey, though.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #29 - 07/04/11 at 06:34:57

Gotta link to one of those batteries?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home