Savage Bobber Project (Read 1923 times)
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Savage Bobber Project
06/29/11 at 14:53:48

Hi there guys,

I briefly introduced myself in the introduction topic. I will add a few other details here!

My name is Frederick (or Fred), I am 21 years old and I live in The Netherlands (yes, Europe) - I hope I'm welcome!

I have a great passion for mopeds, which is also what I do for work (part-time really, next to studying and school etc). I own a webshop: www.moparts-webshop.com

I also build custom mopeds/bikes with which I go to custom show. I've often won prizes at these shows and I've even been invited (twice) to the biggest motorbike fair in Europe, INTERMOT.

I will be picking up a '96 Suzuki Savage tomorrow. My plan is to customize it to my style and taste. I very much like the looks of bobbers. However, on another motorbike forum that I am active on there are endless discussions on what qualifies to be a bobber and why some bikes aren't bobbers but choppers etc.

I am sure some of you may share the same thoughts here, and I may not be building a "true" bobber in the end, but for the ease of everything I just called it a bobber project.

This is basically the bike (below). I am paying 450 euros for it. It hasn't run in five years.
It is already modded to some extent (longer front fork, aftermarket exhaust, bits and pieces taken off).

What are my plans?
As much of a cliche as it may be, I will definitely be trying to make it into an old school bobber/bike with some modern touches. The following are my plans:

Wheels, rims, spokes, tires
I will be powdercoating the rims high gloss red with a pearl flake accent in the clear coat.

I will either be chroming the stock spokes or using (thicker) stainless steel fully polished spokes (which should have an even better finish than chrome). In regards to the big spokes (I am not talking big big spokes, just a little thicker than stock), I will need to drill out the hubs and fittings in the rim to place the thicker spokes. Does anybody have any experience with fitting thicker spokes on stock wheels?

I will be polishing the hubs. However, as this is rather difficult to do, I may have this done by a machine/polish shop. Just to compare, I will be paying 30 euros a hub to have them polished so nicely that they will look like chrome (I've seen their work). Does this sound like a fair price? Another option would be to have the hubs powdercoated (either the same red + pearly flaked clear coat combination as the rims themselves, or high gloss black + pearly flaked clear coat).

Furthermore, I will be using whitewall tires.
- Maxxis 100/90-19
- Maxxis 140/90-15
If anyone has any other suggestions for (better) tires, feel free to let me know!

Frame
I will most likely leave the frame rather stock looking. It is already a hard-tail frame, in the sense that it had the shocks removed and stiff brackets fitted. I don't think I want to make it a weld-on hard-tail frame as I kind of like the option of being able to go back to shocks.

Seat
I will be using an already existing seat pan with a custom spring. I will try to build the same concept that I've already used on one of my other projects/builds. That would be the following:

This is a seat pan that comes off of one of the mopeds that I build and sell parts for in my shop. The "spring", which, let's face it, is really more a shock absorber, comes off a mountain bike (it's the shock that is fitted in between the frame of a MTB).

This should be a rather rigid seat - I will have to see how this works out. I will weld a mount/bracket undear the seat pan and one to the frame.

Exhaust
I have both a stock exhaust and the exhaust in the picture. I believe this is stainless steel. However, I do not have a spool gun to weld stainless steel. I may want to custom build my own exhaust. Which tubing can I best use to do this?

I really like the look of the old school exhaust that are found on some choppers/bobbers, where the tip rises in near the end of the rame. Examples:

Front fork
I will most likely be leaving the front fork as it is. It is already a longer front fork than stock. I may polish the legs and triple trees, I may also have these powdercoated (black + pearly flaked clear coat - however, I am not sure how this will look).

Handlebars
Ape Hangers, most likely. I may even be using an already existing pair of bicycle handlebars meant for custom bicycles. These are 13" or 14" handlebars.

Engine wise
Obviously, after not having been running for five consecutive years, I will have to give the engine a thorough check. What are things to look out for?

I will surely be cleaning the carb, changing the oil etc.

I may want to spray paint the cylinder black and the cylinder head gold (heat resistant) to match the gold Ape Hangers - that is, if I go through with blending in gold! Nothing is sure yet...

Furthermore, one thing I am really keen on is the drive belt to chain driven conversion. I completely understand the concept and what has to be done, I even thought about doing it before I saw the topic about it, but I am not completely certain of which sprockets to use! By this I mean, which existing Suzuki sprockets do I need? I've so far understood to get a rear sprocket with:
- 6 holes
- 100mm pitch from opposite holes
- a custom spacer
- a 520 to 530 drive chain

If anyone has any tips, tricks or ideas, feel free to share!

More pics will follow tomorrow  Smiley.

FRED

Let's hope this Bobber project turns out alright.
WWW   IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Re: Savage Bobber Project
Reply #1 - 06/29/11 at 15:03:50

Fred Welcome!!! Sounds like an awesome project!

As far as the engine goes, I would start with the most obvious easiest solutions first i.e. battery and spark plug for starters.

Love your ideas though! Keep us posted!

IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #2 - 06/29/11 at 15:06:15

bluesavage218 wrote on 06/29/11 at 15:03:50:
Fred Welcome!!! Sounds like an awesome project!

As far as the engine goes, I would start with the most obvious easiest solutions first i.e. battery and spark plug for starters.

Love your ideas though! Keep us posted!

Thanks! I hope my vision turns into reality.

Indeed, I will be replacing the sparkplug, gas, oil and battery to see whether it sparks and eventually fires up!

WWW   IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #3 - 06/29/11 at 15:08:41

Top Dead Center check might be an easy fix as well

IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #4 - 06/29/11 at 15:13:27

bluesavage218 wrote on 06/29/11 at 15:08:41:

Feel free to specify what you mean.. what do you mean by this check exactly?

Also, would the valves be off after 5 years of not running?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/29/11 at 15:20:52

Forks look stock to me, valves shouldnt have changed just sitting,,
If you want power, talk to Lancer,
Difference between bobber & chopper,, bobbers have been cleaned up, fenders Bobbed Off & anything that can be done away with to lighten it up, done away with. Choppers have been modified in the front, made longer,

I wouldnt worry about timing unless the thing has high mileage,, How many miles on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #6 - 06/29/11 at 15:26:44

Frederick wrote on 06/29/11 at 15:13:27:
bluesavage218 wrote on 06/29/11 at 15:08:41:

Feel free to specify what you mean.. what do you mean by this check exactly?

Also, would the valves be off after 5 years of not running?

Missed the sitting part... Nevermind, thought maybe it wasn't running becasue someone had messed with the engine.

IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #7 - 06/30/11 at 01:30:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/29/11 at 15:20:52:
Forks look stock to me, valves shouldnt have changed just sitting,,
If you want power, talk to Lancer,
Difference between bobber & chopper,, bobbers have been cleaned up, fenders Bobbed Off & anything that can be done away with to lighten it up, done away with. Choppers have been modified in the front, made longer,

I wouldnt worry about timing unless the thing has high mileage,, How many miles on it?

Great. Will talk to Lancer once I need to figure stuff out regarding power.

I also thought the forks were stock. However, the owner specifically mentioned they were aftermarket forks that were longer than the stock ones. We'll see!

I'm not really sure what the mileage is. The guy who advertised it wanted to sell six bikes in total, all in one go. But I asked whether I could buy only the Savage. I'm hoping it doesn't have a high mileage. It has only been driven as of 1996 till 2005 or 2006, seeing that it has been sitting still for the past 5 years. So I'm hoping mileage is low Smiley.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/30/11 at 02:21:48

Fred welcome!! 30EUR for a good aluminium polishing job sounds very affordable. I would go for that versus powdercoated hubs.
Rims - yeah, powdercoat them red.
About thicker spokes - buchannan's shop in USA seems to be the place to go for advice or spokes themselves.
http://www.buchananspokes.net/

I would imagine there is a way to get a mm or 2mm thicker spoke, with standard thread on top. I saw a spoke set once for a virago I think that looked exactly like that. 6mm spoke with 4mm thread part. Personally, spokes should be chrome.

Enjoy your project!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/30/11 at 02:27:27

Sorry if I got your hopes up too far,, High Mileage on the cam chain is 12 to 15 thousand. Id have a look at it n there if its in that range,, mite be just fine, but not lookin can have fatal consequences for the engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #10 - 06/30/11 at 03:36:59

dasch wrote on 06/30/11 at 02:21:48:
Fred welcome!! 30EUR for a good aluminium polishing job sounds very affordable. I would go for that versus powdercoated hubs.
Rims - yeah, powdercoat them red.
About thicker spokes - buchannan's shop in USA seems to be the place to go for advice or spokes themselves.
http://www.buchananspokes.net/

I would imagine there is a way to get a mm or 2mm thicker spoke, with standard thread on top. I saw a spoke set once for a virago I think that looked exactly like that. 6mm spoke with 4mm thread part. Personally, spokes should be chrome.

Enjoy your project!

I agree, spokes should be chrome. But as I mentioned, the stainless steel ones the wheels shop I talked to has are polished stainless steel, which is practically chrome. However, thicker gauge stainless steel spokes (7 gauge/4.5mm) cost between 60 and 90 euros (ouch!).

What is the stock thickness/diameter of the spokes on a Savage?

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/30/11 at 02:27:27:
Sorry if I got your hopes up too far,, High Mileage on the cam chain is 12 to 15 thousand. Id have a look at it n there if its in that range,, mite be just fine, but not lookin can have fatal consequences for the engine.

I will make sure to check the mileage. Is the cam chain easy to replace?

I have a small (machine) shop myself, with plenty of tools - and what I don't have available here I can get somewhere else.

How about a complete engine rebuild? Has anyone on here done one (I mean pretty much everything; bearings, seals, gaskets, etc).

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/30/11 at 03:54:33

Don't have the bike here now. If I guessed - 4mm. Or 3mm...hmmm... if I remember correctly, the threaded part is WIDER than the rest of the spoke. However, man... for 60EUR you can barely get a decent lunch with girlfriend in, say Amsterdam, right? Put down a few beers each - there goes 90EUR. And these spokes will be there forever.  Wink I say buy it, mount it and you will like it!

NOTE: Can 4.5mm go through holes in the hub?? You need some slack between hub and spoke, so you can manipulate that 90degree bend and all. Or open up holes by 0.5mm...

IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #12 - 07/01/11 at 11:34:50

dasch wrote on 06/30/11 at 03:54:33:
Don't have the bike here now. If I guessed - 4mm. Or 3mm...hmmm... if I remember correctly, the threaded part is WIDER than the rest of the spoke. However, man... for 60EUR you can barely get a decent lunch with girlfriend in, say Amsterdam, right? Put down a few beers each - there goes 90EUR. And these spokes will be there forever.  Wink I say buy it, mount it and you will like it!

NOTE: Can 4.5mm go through holes in the hub?? You need some slack between hub and spoke, so you can manipulate that 90degree bend and all. Or open up holes by 0.5mm...

Yeah, I know I will have to keep in mind the bend-angle for the spokes. I will measure my spokes in a bit, they looked more like 3 to 4mm - If I can fit 6mm spokes, I will be one happy man!

WWW   IP Logged
Frederick
YaBB Newbies

Let's go!

The Netherlands
Reply #13 - 07/01/11 at 11:39:04

I picked up the bike yesterday, I bought it for 400,- euros instead of 450,- euros. It has 13000 miles on the meter, and according to the previous owner the speedometer worked - so if those are real miles, that would be great (right?).

I also finally got the bike running today! It needed a bit of TLC.

- New battery
- New oil filter
- New oil
- New sparkplug

At first it didn't want to fire up with the new battery, gas and oil. I then exchanged the sparkplug, but before I fitted the new sparkplug, I sprayed gas/petrol into the combustion chamber. It then started up and it starts up ever since.

I guess it didn't want to suck through any petrol through the carb - now it does.

I also sandblasted the top of the carb (obviously after taking it apart) with glass bead. This really turned out great, I'm sure some of you have done this too so you know how the results are!

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/01/11 at 11:47:46

Better look at the cam chain tensioner,, its time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:35:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Bobber Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.