Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oil and sediment in carb? (Read 137 times)
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
oil and sediment in carb?
06/29/11 at 09:39:33

Went to clean out my carb and do the spacer mod and got an interesting surprise from the last time I cleaned it out.

The bowl was previously clean and clear of stains...

I had a nice line of sluge in the bottom carb bowl and the gas that I poured out had a oil sheen to it. Does this mean that my intake valves are not set correctly and allowing crud to come through?

And does the this look normal for the floats to be so tarnished or is that just tinting from them sitting in a mix of gas/oil?

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: oil and sediment in carb?
Reply #1 - 06/29/11 at 09:47:19

Possible diaphram leakage. The floats actually look rusty. If that thing was all cleaned...how long ago?...I might suspect something nasty going on in the gas tank. Have you changed the gas filter ever? How's it look? Intake valves? Could be, but if they were that far out I would think you'd be hearing some loud ticking. Timing chain may have jumped? Have you checked the tensioner adjuster lately? And how is it running otherwise? I assume you do have an air filter on there...

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #2 - 06/29/11 at 09:52:16

I had it all opened up and cleaned about a month ago. Had the valves adjusted too at the same time and I can't really hear any lifter ticking. Spaced them at .004/.005 but I haven't opened up the panel to double check that yet today. Running wise 1/2nd gear stutters till i get about mid throttle and then it runs like a bat outta hell. I do have the plug to seal up still so I have oil from that leaking about but it hasn't caused a problem yet.

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #3 - 06/29/11 at 09:53:50

and I did a bit from the gas tank and that is clean of oil. Tensioner chain hasn't been checked and from what i can remember hearing when it was running it didn't sound like it was loose.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/29/11 at 10:24:45

Don't look so bad to me...

The floats can't rust... they're brass,.. or maybe copper...
That discoloration is just lacquered gas,... no biggy on the floats, but that's what plugs up the jets if the bike is left sitting... of course, gas is sitting the bowl all the time anyway, so that's just normal...

Putting a filter on your gas line will help with the sediment ... maybe you got particularly yukky batch of gas... but I don't think there's a valve problem...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #5 - 06/29/11 at 10:31:24

But what about all the gunk on the top diaphram cover? I cleaned all that out with dish soap and was surprised with what all came off.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/29/11 at 10:46:25

Do you have an oiled foam or k/n air filter?...  
You might have too much oil on it...
...or... it's just blow by from the crankcase... Think of it this way...
It's keeping your slide nice a lubed... Grin...

Check for excessive oil build up in the the filter box,... but I wouldn't worry 'bout it...
Do you ever drain the filter box?...  There's a hose that comes off of it, goes to the ground, but it's capped... drain it when you do oil changes...
It's there to collect the normal blow by from the crankcase...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #7 - 06/29/11 at 17:22:15

ack I forgot about that drain tube even though it's just dangling there like a ... yeah. I'll check more parts tomorrow but hopefully you're right about the blowback on the crankcase.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 06/30/11 at 11:36:11

ksthumper, It looks to me that is the work of water in the gas, improper storage letting water in, or Ethanol fouling. Take a good look in the tank to see if it looks the same. I am a believer in Seafoam, so I would clean it thouroughly and run Seafoam about once a month to keep it clean. I have a small medicine cup (who needs a cup for NyQuil?) I use to put about 2 oz in a full tank.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 06/30/11 at 13:04:45

Boofer wrote on 06/30/11 at 11:36:11:
ksthumper, It looks to me that is the work of water in the gas, improper storage letting water in, or Ethanol fouling. Take a good look in the tank to see if it looks the same. I am a believer in Seafoam, so I would clean it thouroughly and run Seafoam about once a month to keep it clean. I have a small medicine cup (who needs a cup for NyQuil?) I use to put about 2 oz in a full tank.

+1 Boofer

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:20:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil and sediment in carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.