Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I just got the OEM engine guard (Read 367 times)
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
I just got the OEM engine guard
06/27/11 at 16:35:02

Any recommendations on highway pegs and the right size please.

Thanks People!

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Re: I just got the OEM engine guard
Reply #1 - 06/27/11 at 17:04:40

I put my OEM engine guard on last week and it looks good. I havent ridden the bike in awhile and havent thought about highway pegs.

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 06/27/11 at 17:11:49

They are as low as $20 and most fit 1" or 1 1/4" I've been waiting for someone else to put them on before I buy them. For some weird reason the Savage suits me, buckhorn bars and all. It might be good to use them a mile or two when the bones start creaking.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #3 - 06/27/11 at 17:20:54

I know arteacher has a pair. I just ordered forward controls from routy and I want the same setup as arteacher with the Corbin seat also. Hopefully he's watching. I might have to PM him.

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #4 - 06/27/11 at 17:26:09

Boofer wrote on 06/27/11 at 17:11:49:
They are as low as $20 and most fit 1" or 1 1/4" I've been waiting for someone else to put them on before I buy them. For some weird reason the Savage suits me, buckhorn bars and all. It might be good to use them a mile or two when the bones start creaking.

Question. Did you put the bolts on toward the motor or away? I tried to install it but somehow one of the metal "U" shaped loops got bent a little when delivered or made. I have to fix it later.

Thanks Kristen.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 06/27/11 at 18:42:26

I put the OE bars on with the threads and nuts toward the front. I'm guessing it was easier that way, but the bolts are pretty much hidden unless you kneel down or lay down and look back at them. I did mine two years ago. The highway pegs are available in any bike shop at nearly any price. JC Whitney, Dennis kirk, Iron pony should give you an idea of what you need on the net. Then you can go to your shop and get what you want.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #6 - 06/27/11 at 19:07:33

Thanks Boofer

IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #7 - 06/28/11 at 05:00:05

Keith I will let you know tonite which way they are on. I truely cant remember.

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/28/11 at 05:18:03

I use Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs w/ 1" Clamp (PN 7980)

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/460/Longhorn-Offset-Dually-Highway-Pegs

Kinda expensive, but they give that extra 4" of offset so you can stretch the leg a bit.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 06/28/11 at 05:48:28

OEM engine guard? Gee, I wish I had one of them last week, when I hit that big rock. Where can one get ahold of such a thing? If they are OEM, shouldn't there be one on the bike already? Anyone have a pic?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/28/11 at 07:25:34

drums1 wrote on 06/28/11 at 05:48:28:
OEM engine guard? Gee, I wish I had one of them last week, when I hit that big rock. Where can one get ahold of such a thing? If they are OEM, shouldn't there be one on the bike already? Anyone have a pic?

"engine guard" is more wishful thinking than actual description.  Great place to hang pegs, but not a lot of good for protection.  But, better than nothing.

Some pics of mine are on this page.  Covered wagon shots.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268838262/360

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #11 - 06/28/11 at 08:39:38

I agree. It's just something to put stuff on. Kind of like a clothes line.  Doesn't protect anything.

IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #12 - 06/28/11 at 08:40:20

KristenAnn wrote on 06/28/11 at 05:00:05:
Keith I will let you know tonite which way they are on. I truely cant remember.

Okay, thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/28/11 at 08:42:27

Bolt lengthening technology lags a LONG way behind Bolt shortening technology. If I had a bolt that would fit the way I wanted it because it was too long, I Might be able to modify it so that it fit.. maybe. Id think about it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 06/28/11 at 09:18:07

The PO to my bike had one in the box of goodies he had taken off. I put it back on, but was missing the top U-Bolt. Rode it that way for the last 2 years, but I didn't have pegs hanging on it either. The fact that it was missing that bolt bothered me so much that I took it off this last weekend. When I get around to finding a bolt that matches I will probably put it back on.

(BTW, I didn't have instructions when I put mine on, but I put the u portion of the bolts facing forward and the parts with the threads closest to the engine. Made tightening them down a bit of a pickle, but completely do-able)  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:16:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I just got the OEM engine guard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.