Send Topic Print
sidecar (Read 193 times)
janeforbes
2005 No Login

Jump & ride!

South Florida
sidecar
06/27/11 at 15:37:17

I haven't been on this site for a long time now.  I have a 2005 S40 that I love. I have been thinking about maybe adding a sidecar to my bike. I would love to be able to take a ride with my dogs with me. Does anyone know anything about if a sidecar can be added without doing mods to the bike.
Thanks for any help,
Jane

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: sidecar
Reply #1 - 06/27/11 at 16:28:17

Look up Phelonius, see if he is still on the board at all. His ran a sidecar, so did his friend DrJim's bike. Saw them up close and personal about 3 or 4 years ago. Very clean installs.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/27/11 at 20:03:23

http://www.cyclesidecar.com/

Should not be hard to mount.  They have dealers in Florida to help.

WWW   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #3 - 06/27/11 at 20:26:37

I'd love to be able to take my dog on rides! Whatever happened to that phelonious guy??

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/27/11 at 20:52:56

Id sell my bike & buy an old sports car instead of goin the 3 wheel route. 3 wheelers dont corner well, or stop so good. Motorcycles take more maintenance $$$ per mile than a small car. A sports car has a roof & a heater & hauls more stuff & is safer .. Do what ya wanna do, I ust hope ya slow down & think about the cost/benefit stuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 06/27/11 at 21:22:47

We've got a Cozy Rocket on my '03, Dr Jim's old rig. Some mount w/o a subframe and others won't do it that way. Ours was mounted w/o and when one of the main welds broke when I was reattaching the car to the tug (bike) I decided to have a professional mount it. Jay at Dauntless Motors (DMC.com I think) builds a subframe that uses the brake mounting points and rear motor mount area. Also one bracket that goes under the RR shock and down to the allen bolts on the swing frame mounting point. It withstood the hit I did last year when I had an accident. Phelonius quit this board over picture posting concerns but doesn't have his Savage/Velorex 562 rig any longer. He is a good fabricator and uses carefully selected mounting points for his many rigs over the years. Lonnie in Boise, ID does his that way also. The Savage makes a decent tug IMHO,  good torque and I can run comfortably up to about 60 MPH. Full windshield on the tug and windshield on the car. After that is it working pretty hard and stopping quickly becomes more of an issue. Some information on the USCA web site if you search for Savage in the archieves and Phelonius does post there. Leave me a pm with e-mail if you want pictures of ours and the Phelonious Flyer as that skill still escapes me. Dogs and kids/grandkids are probably one of the biggest reasons for sidecars any more. I use ours for errands/shopping and to put a grin on my face. Wife likes to go but not to a place where helmet hair is an issue. About 40 MPG or so around here, about 45 in AZ in the winter where I use it on surface streets that are slower. Still have and use the 96 bagger and remember to put my feet down. Ask lots of questions. Sometimes a whole running rig can be had for little more $ than a car plus installation and leaves you with both options. WA requires a special endorsement for sidecars/trikes, other states may follow as a revenue source. They do drive different, you steer like and ATV, not counter steer and it is possible to fly the car on RH corners. Very exciting. Max.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 06/28/11 at 20:06:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/27/11 at 20:52:56:
..... 3 wheelers dont corner well, or stop so good.......

I agree from a logical standpoint.  With a sidecar rig you have the disadvantages of a motorcycle (no protection) and you lose the advantages (breathtaking acceleration, accident-avoiding maneuverability, and pavement-wrinkling stopping power).

That said, sidecar rigs are still cool.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #7 - 06/29/11 at 07:38:14

Back in the early 80's, there was a guy here in town that had a custom "sidecar" mounted to older Honda or Kawasaki.  It was more like a "chariot" than side car because he was in a wheel chair.  He was able to roll his chair right in, ramp up, strap down, and take off.  Was the cooliest darn thing I had ever seen!  The handlebars and controls had been transferred over to the "sidecar".  He rode that around town for years, but don't know what eventually happened to him or the bike.  Wish I had a pic of that setup... definitely cool! Smiley

Found a link to something very similar on YouTube
http://youtu.be/CLbycRIexh4

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:18:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sidecar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.