Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
white spacer mod screws (Read 222 times)
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
white spacer mod screws
06/26/11 at 03:04:40

I am attempting the white spacer mod and came across the below suggestion by Lancer. So many have had problems with these screws that I decided to be proactive and have the right tool ready. My question is can I still use this tool if the carb is on the bike or do I need to remove the carb? I have not ordered it yet.  thanks in advance.

you need this small impact driver (HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS)

for those tiny screws

see the long slim phillips head bit on the right ? that's the one to use
I set the slide on the top of a vise with the needle sticking down through a slight space between the vise jaws
then you can tap gently but firmly and OUT THEY COME !

7 Piece Reversible Impact Driver Set
Item #93481

Only:$5.99

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: white spacer mod screws
Reply #1 - 06/26/11 at 03:24:50

You don't need to remove the carb. You do need to remove the tank to get at the top of the carb.
See the tech section on "how to clean your carb"

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #2 - 06/26/11 at 04:09:55

Thanks arteacher but I think I was not specific enough in my question. I have had the tank off before when I checked my valves and plug. I have reviewed the tech section on doing the white spacer mod and that is where I came across the stripped screws problem.  I know you can do the mod with the carb on provided you can get the 4 screws holding the diaphram on and the 2 inside to get to the spacer. What I really want to know is can the impact wrench described by Lancer be used with the carb still on? He mentions using a vise to hold the slider, cant do that with the carb on the bike.  Shocked

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/26/11 at 04:29:56

Once you remove the top you can pull out the slider and put it in the vice.
Always support underneath when using a impact driver or you'll be breaking off a piece.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 06/26/11 at 04:38:19

After you take the top off the slider needs to be removed anyway. I did not need to use an impact driver. I ground a little off the tip of the standard Philips screwdriver to make it more like a JIS screwdriver, held the slider in my hand and using a moderate amount of pressure so the tip wouldn't slip, undid the screws. Be sure the tip of the screwdriver  fits tight into the screw. Any wiggle and you will strip it for sure. Be very careful not to damage the diaphragm. If you do have to use an impact driver you will need a longer bit for it, again with the tip ground off a teeny bit. Then put the slide in the vice so that the needle hangs down between the jaws and the bottom of the slide where the screws are is supported by the jaws. Don't tighten the vice on the needle, just use the vice as support, and tap the impact driver. A third hand to hold the slide would be helpful. The screws should loosen. Another trick to try is to tighten the screw a teeny bit to break the adhesion of the lock tight they use during assembly.
Good luck.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 06/26/11 at 04:47:22

Taking the carb off the bike is no big deal.  Take the tank off,.. 10 min.  Take the carb off,.. another 10 min.

When you try to do stuff on a carb and you have trouble getting to various places/fasteners on it (by leaving in on the bike), you end up making compromises that will make you growl at yourself later.  Carbs need to be out in the open.

Impact drivers are very necessary tools, and they do work in some desperate situations like getting these fasteners loose,.. but unfortunately the phillips head screws on these carbs are kind of soft, so you still might wipe out the slots in the head of the screw.  Been there, done that.  Usually then you have to dremel a crude slot in the head of the screw and use a big fat blade screwdriver to get it out, assuming you don't bust the head off the screw with this additional act of desperation.

What worked for us was to tap the heads of the screws from side to side with a punch and a light hammer while the carb was mounted in a vise.  Be gentle and patient and at some point you will actually notice the screw moving a tiny bit sideways when tapped.  At that point it really will be loose enough to just use a screwdriver and back it out of the hole.  Please see the pics dealing with the carb rebuilds in reply #62 of the thread here, "Double Ryca Build."

Also, another good suggestion from someone here is to take one each of your carb screws (diaphragm, float bowl, transient enrichment valve cover) and go someplace that has a good selection of this stuff and replace them all with socket head screws.  Life will be so much better the next time you have to get intimate with your carb.  You'll need 4, 4, and 3, respectively.

Arteacher's suggestion to tighten just a bit before trying to loosen is also a time-honored and useful technique.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #6 - 06/26/11 at 05:21:36

Now I understand what Lancer meant by using the vise. Thanks for all your replies vers, art and gyro. I think I will order the impact driver just in case your other suggestions dont work. Hate to be down while waiting for a shipment. Will post back on my luck or lack thereof with the screws.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/26/11 at 08:17:37

My HF impact didnt work right. I had to take it apart & clean up the angled part inside. Not hard, a few minutes with the  Dremel & it was good to go.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 06/29/11 at 09:37:49

How do you get a dremel in there and what tip do you use?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/29/11 at 11:26:48

I didn't do anything special. Regular small phillips, slight tap with a light hammer and both screws went happily out.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #10 - 07/15/11 at 18:11:03

I was unable to remove the screws to access the spacer so I am removing the carb. According to the manual you remove the clip securing the throttle cable and disconnect. I removed the clip and assume you lift up on the cable to release. The problem is there is not enough clearance , it hits the frame before it clears. Am I missing something?  Its an 07.

BTW that clip can fly a long way if it slips off your pliers.   Shocked

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #11 - 07/15/11 at 18:25:50

Oops, wrong idea. Have it out now. And I continue......

IP Logged
Bird
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/16/11 at 07:22:14

Best thing to do after getting it  a part is get allem bolts to take the place of the screws

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #13 - 07/16/11 at 14:49:49

yep, already have them ready.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:12:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › white spacer mod screws

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.