Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
UPDATE:   Hit a Rock--Big Damage?? (Read 377 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
UPDATE:   Hit a Rock--Big Damage??
06/24/11 at 16:10:26

Cruising about 45, out from under car ahead of me comes a honeydew melon-sized rock. Could not avoid it totally. BAM !! Almost jerks the handlebars out of my hand. Almost layed it down. I thought it went off to the right. There was even a big scuff and small cut right-of-center on my brand new front tire. Seemed ok. Nothing bent. ( I thought ) I get home and looked underneath to see where leaking oil was coming from. Right side of front downframe dented way in, and apparently hit the lower front of motor too. Looks chipped or cracked. If I drain it and clean it up real good, would JB Weld on the outside maybe seal that leak, or am I gonna need a new engine? And how about the frame?? Is that safe with it dented in where it is?

This really sucks as I just put almost a grand into the bike and was totally anticipating a lot of riding this summer.

Angry      Sad      Embarrassed      Undecided

« Last Edit: 07/02/11 at 17:53:51 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Hit a Rock--Big Damage??
Reply #1 - 06/24/11 at 16:32:51

Step One,, Thank God you didnt get HURT.
Step Two
Did you notice a change in handling or were you too shook up to think clearly enough to notice?( I woulda been in the latter group)

A leaky case could possibly fix with JB weld, mite need a tig welder.
If I was gonna try it with JB, Id cut a small trench in the crack & rough it up for 1/8th on either side, dont go deep,
Before I did that, Id have to let a welder look at it,, Id drop 40 bucks & know its not gonna leak,,

Sorry bout the way that went.. sure says something about adequate following distances, dont it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 06/24/11 at 17:22:22

Drums, You were indeed fortunate to not go down during that. I am always afraid of oncoming left hand turners and stuff just showing up from under a car. I lay back because of that, but sometimes it's close. My late cousin could weld two soda cans together with NASA precision, so find a talented, experienced guy and try it. Glad you're ok. Didn't you just get it fixed a couple of weeks ago or was that someone else?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/24/11 at 18:17:23

That sucks!....  Glad you're okay...

I'd have it welded....  Wouldn't want to trust JBWeld on the road with all the bumping and jarring... I'd never feel comfortable with it...

Welder could check the frame too... maybe do a package deal...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 06/24/11 at 19:19:59

Drums, first of all, Glad you alright.
Man that must have been scarey?
I would let a welder look it over as
well. Hope your frame isn't bent.
Most important is your ok...Hugs, Smiley kim

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 06/24/11 at 20:03:12

J B weld will do the job stopping the oil leak. Give it a good cleaning with carb cleaner and the rough it up a little with some 100 grit paper. Get the frame checked and see if the bike is tracking straight. If it is tracking straight then get a plate welded over the dent and get a weld job done on the cracked housing.  Two options for the repair.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/25/11 at 02:03:12

Maybe your insurance policy would cover repairs or a new engine.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/25/11 at 05:47:39

Yes Boofer, I did just have the head gasket, carb repair and 2 new tires done, and put on forward controls.
As for welding, is that something that can be done on the bike, with oil in the motor, or am I gonna have to have it disassembled and bring in the motor casing itself?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/25/11 at 06:39:18

Whoa. Now I just went out to take a closer look--it actually punched a hole in the motor casing. Good thing I was fairly close to home when it happened. I wonder how far I rode with little to no oil in there. I stood bike up to check oil level--nothing in window. What little bit was left came running out the hole. SON OF A BIOTCH. Please excuse my French.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/25/11 at 06:39:31

I think Id let the welder decide abut the oil In or not,, Mite ride it to a welder, dump the oil, weld it up, fill it back up & ride home.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 06/25/11 at 06:47:13

If the frame is still true and not cracked I would think about filling the dent with filler and painting it. How deep is "way in"?
As far as the case goes I would not trust JP weld as the case is constantly heating and cooling (expanding and contracting). Best to have a welder check them out.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 06/25/11 at 06:58:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/25/11 at 06:39:31:
I think Id let the welder decide abut the oil In or not,, Mite ride it to a welder, dump the oil, weld it up, fill it back up & ride home.

Definitely oil out. Have you ever tried to solder a pipe joint with water in it? Wont get hot enough, although my wife's uncle, who owned a rad shop, soldered a penny over a pinhole leak in the gas tank of my Land Cruiser with gas in it. Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/25/11 at 07:02:51

I wouldnt have been in the same county with someone holdin a torch on a gas tank.

& re: Oil in or OIl out..
I would think the heat would hurt the oil sitting right there at the wound.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 06/25/11 at 07:37:38

Hate to say it, but,... if you went more than a mile or so without oil,... I'd just put the money towards an engine swap...
Two people here have run short distances without oil, and both engines seized within a couple hundred miles...

Sorry,... but best not to waste your money...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #14 - 06/25/11 at 07:48:52

Insurance?? Well, sad to say, but I don't have any. Can't afford it. I know it's stupid not to have it, but when you're unemployed long term, you do what you gotta do. And the lump of money I had a short time ago is all but gone.
Apparently, welders do not work on Saturday, as every one I have called this morning is not answering the dam phone. So, another weekend in the toilet. It figures. After 8 days of gloomy rainy weather, today is 75 and sunny.
I think the Gods are trying to tell me something. Yesterday, while I was out running over boulders, my car got towed away for a gas leak. So now I have to spend my last $100 getting it out of the impound lot, so I can junk IT. No car, no motorcycle. Can it get any better??
Maybe I can sell my 3rd drumset in the last 4 years for 1/2 what I paid for it. Then I'll just curl up in a corner somewhere and contemplate my navel.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:29:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › UPDATE:   Hit a Rock--Big Damage??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.