Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My bike just stops running from time to time (Read 116 times)
pinskas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My bike just stops running from time to time
06/23/11 at 14:29:23

Hi,
I have some problems with my LS 650 1986 year - it just loses the power and stops running from time to time and I don't know why, that's why I'm affraid to go long distances Smiley
First time it was when I left my bike for 30min the switch in parking position. It started fine but after 1km running it just lost the power and died. I started it again, it run only on an open throttle for 2 min and died again. I charged the battery, but it didn't start, it only started when I instaled the new plug.
The second time I had this problem when I ran 15km I noticed that it loses the power again, the engine stoped working but my speed was at 70km/h so I put the 4th gear and it started again. I opened the throttle more for about 5 min and it was okay all the way.
The third time I was driving on a hot summer day. Stopped, and after 4 hours (it was already midnight so you can smell some humidity in the air) I started it again, it lost the power and shut down after 1 min. I started it again at once and kept open throttle for about 10min after it ran fine.
The last time it lost the power and shut down thank's God just at the garage door after 10 min running. I didn't touch it till now.
Maybe somebody have some ideas what I have to look for? Could it be somethig with elektricity or with the fuel or vacum line?

The batery is old enought, but after last charging it shows 12.3 V.
The valves were adjusted before 300km, but I still hear the tapping noise at the top of the engine where the exhaust pipe is going out of the engine. And that tapping noise gets a little bit louder when the engine is hot.
Compression is 8.5

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: My bike just stops running from time to time
Reply #1 - 06/23/11 at 15:09:40

test your petcock...

run it in prime and check the vac line for gas.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 06/23/11 at 17:59:05

verslagen1 wrote on 06/23/11 at 15:09:40:
test your petcock...

run it in prime and check the vac line for gas.

Ditto. When out on the road an she's turning over, but not firing up, switching to prime may be what it needs. Just don't forget to switch back after you shut down.

FSO
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 06/24/11 at 17:31:11

I agree, but don't forget to put clamps on the vacuum hose. It cured mine for a while. Raptor on the way!!!

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
pinskas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/24/11 at 23:57:14

If I put clamps on the vacuum hose - I can ride as much as I want on "PRIME", won't I?
Why does the vacuum needs then?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/25/11 at 02:46:56

Mine used to just die, be runnin along all fine & dandy & it would just lose power & die. It wouldnt even turn over, finaly, it stopped doin that, I never did figure out what was causing it, but I did study the wiring harness & found a place to put an emergency start button. You push that button & the starter is gonna spin over, even if the key is on your pocket. Or if its in gear,, Its gonna spin that engine over. It runs 12 volts to the decomp timer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/25/11 at 04:45:58

Pinskas,

The vac petcock on our bikes has very marginal operating parameters (when it is new it just barely makes it work at full speed).  Our bikes do not have any excess vacuum level amounts to actuate the thing correctly once the diaphragm gets old and stiff.  

People are trying to get you to go through the steps to say:

1) the problem is the vac petcock (although they already know it likely is)

2) teach you how to coddle the old dead thing along month to month to keep it going (that's your clamps on vac tubes, replacing vac tubes)

3) offer you emotional support as the many versions of petcock symptoms drive you crazy over time as the ongoing list of failures outruns your repair attempts.

===================

There is a growing group here on the list that thinks the very first thing you should be told to do is to tear off the trouble prone stock vac petcock and replace it with a manual Raptor petcock.

The reason we feel this way is there are many levels of different vac petcock issues that strike in series, with the final one being that the durn thing splits and leaks gasoline down your carb vac line and contaminates your lubricating oil in the sump -- sometimes doing damage to your engine in the process.  This is after being a bleeding hemorrhoid to live with for years -- it finally tries to kill your engine.

This "gas in oil" thing was once said to be very rare, but since I have ticked 4 occasions inside the last 12 months I no longer consider it rare -- it is to me a potential "likelyhood" if you run your vac petcock long enough.

Even the vac petcock fans (of which 3 vocal ones still remain) admit that some of them have replaced their diaphragm and are still having to replace their vac line on a yearly basis.

The 30+ folks who have gone over to the Raptor report NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES AT ALL so far and NO ISSUES WITH GAS IN THE OIL.   We find this very interesting and are waiting for the first "oil-in-gas" to find out how it actually occurs.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 06/25/11 at 13:42:26

Oldfeller, A great post. You missed one reason I am going Raptor (Or I didn't see it) The OE Suzuki petcock is about $75. Raptor is around $20. It took me a while to even put a Harley muffler on after the guts came out of the original, but I like it. (quiet and restored power) I was just looking at Philip's new saddlebags. His Savage is so shiny! The original Savage looks good to me, but I like fiddling with mine and adding my own touch. It depends on who you are, how much money you have, how you want to spend it, how wedded you are to the original look, sound, gas mileage, how mechanically inclined you are, etc. I'm rambling again.
Embarrassed  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/25/11 at 13:49:32

Boofer, yes the Raptor unit complete costs about the same as a rebuild kit for the stock petcock that we currently get from the dude on Ebay.  Suzuki doesn't offer any parts for the stock unit as they want your $90 for a whole replacement unit.    (rape !!)

Me, I'd pay the $24 for the Raptor just to never have to screw with the stock unit EVER AGAIN !!!!!

Those that have put in the Ebay vac petcock rebuild kit admit that the yearly hose replacement nonsense with the stock petcock vac hose still continues, so that fact tells me the marginal suction issues remain unchanged and are always jest waiting to get you when you least need it ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:54:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My bike just stops running from time to time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.