Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I have a question -just out of curiosity (Read 327 times)
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
I have a question -just out of curiosity
06/23/11 at 14:08:55

How long does it take for someone who is supposed to know what they are doing to tear apart a carb? No I'm not doing anything like that or even planning on it. The bike is running great. I was just curious. I know what the place we were going to take it (back when all of my issues first started) was going to charge us and I wondered if they were trying to screw us.

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Re: I have a question -just out of curiosity
Reply #1 - 06/23/11 at 14:14:53

I took mine apart in an hour. That was my first time messing with it and before that, the most mechanical thing I'd ever done was change the oil in my car. Cleaning it correctly takes longer though. I'd say I took a few hours soaking parts in carb cleaner, then another hour and a half for re assembly and reinstalling it....which was the most pita part of it. Don't know how fast a shop should do it though. The only shop I went to before I decided to do it myself was going to charge me $80 flat

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 06/23/11 at 18:17:00

Z,... If you have little experience with mechanical things, taking apart a carb is a little intimidating, and there are lots of things to do wrong.

If you have twisted a wrench now and again (changed your own oil, replaced some drive belts, sharpened your lawn-mower blade, installed a ready-made trailer hitch, etc.) then it isn't all that hard to do if you have a forum like this available with several discussions on how to carefully do the various tasks correctly, and how to avoid common pitfalls.

Taking a carb apart doesn't take a lot of strength, either, assuming the phillips head screws holding the float bowl, diaphragm cover, etc., on come loose fairly easily.  Even if they are stubborn, there are techniques you can use that still don't need a lot of hand/arm strength.

The Savage carb is pretty simple.  To disassemble it, clean it out, replace the normally replaceable parts (gaskets, float valve, etc.) and reassemble it, would take a skilled person who is familiar with this carb an hour or so.  If are you are mechanically competent, and you have never looked at this carb,... maybe two hours.  If you don't know much about carbs at all, maybe a whole evening.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 06/23/11 at 19:17:57

Used to be a step by step guide done by Savage Wahine in the tech section. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 06/23/11 at 19:20:05

The shop I go to charged me 1 hour ($65) to disassemble it, get my frozen mixture screw out and replaced, clean and reassemble. Soak time took longer but he still only charged me 1 hour.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/23/11 at 20:23:24

Max_Morley wrote on 06/23/11 at 19:17:57:
Used to be a step by step guide done by Savage Wahine in the tech section. Max

still is...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/24/11 at 01:05:21

Savage Greg removed and rejetted and remounted my carb in about a hour. The dealer told me to do this they had to remove the engine and wanted around $450 to rejet. That is why most in here like to repair their own bikes. pretty simple and straight forward bike to learn some mechanical skills.

IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #7 - 06/24/11 at 03:41:42

Thanks for the info. The shop we were going to take it to when I first started having issues said it would take 1 1/2 hours just to tear it apart to look at it and then another 1 1/2 hours to put it back together AFTER however long it took to fix it. Of course they also said that it couldn't possible be the petcock as they don't go bad.  Huh I'm so glad #1 that this site exists and #2 that I found it!  Smiley

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #8 - 06/24/11 at 07:39:41

What a ripoff, remove the engine??? Tank comes off with 2 bolts...

IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/24/11 at 07:56:31

Ha.....I would say attempt it yourself,and then pay someone only if you get stuck.

what a ripoff, man I feel so bad for folks that get taken advantage of, and not just mechanically.

A friend of mine just took a bike down to one of the areas "dealership garages", and they charged him around 120 bucks to mount-balance-and install the new tire BACKWARDS.      Huh

Good luck on the endeavor, and God bless,

Farmer

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 06/24/11 at 08:09:40

I am lucky to have a Suzuki dealership near me and they are very reasonable. Tire mount is like $20.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #11 - 06/24/11 at 08:39:42

Z wrote on 06/24/11 at 03:41:42:
Thanks for the info. The shop we were going to take it to when I first started having issues said it would take 1 1/2 hours just to tear it apart to look at it and then another 1 1/2 hours to put it back together AFTER however long it took to fix it. Of course they also said that it couldn't possible be the petcock as they don't go bad.  Huh I'm so glad #1 that this site exists and #2 that I found it!  Smiley

With the stock airbox it takes a little work to get it loose, but not that much time. If you know what you are doing you can rejet without even taking the carb off, you just kinda tilt it to the side a bit.

Where are you in NW PA? I live in Pittsburgh but am from Erie. Kinda curious as to what shop you take it to. Never had to have mine into the shop for anything other than inspection, but my relatives take theirs to Jeff Crowlie's up in Erie. Decent work, honest, fair. Let my dad "store" his bike in their shop over the winter for free.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #12 - 06/24/11 at 09:59:52

Quote:
With the stock airbox it takes a little work to get it loose, but not that much time. If you know what you are doing you can rejet without even taking the carb off, you just kinda tilt it to the side a bit.

Actually, if you know what you're doing, you don't even need to tilt it, just drop the bowl!  Smiley

I've seen the NW PA too and have wondered if you were in Erie as well, I travel for work and have done a lot of work at Hamot Medical Center.  Maybe someday I'll have to ship my tools out and take the bike out that way...lol

delucaja   IP Logged
jfsegar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/24/11 at 12:18:19

I used the post verslagen mentioned to take apart the carb. It was a little intimidating at first but once I removed the battery box, it wasn't too bad. Problem was the screws were stripped so I had to use a dremel tool to cut a slit and use a flathead screwdriver. Definitely recommend replacing the screws with hex bolts. I ended up changing the main jet a week later with the carb still on the bike and it was simple.

Before owning the Savage, I was not mechanically inclined to say the least. Now after following these posts, I've been able to do a lot to the bike. Thanks everyone for providing good info!

IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #14 - 06/24/11 at 13:21:00

I'm in the middle of nowhere.  Grin I'm about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Erie, 3 hour drive from Pittsburgh, 5 hours from Philly. Clearfield is the town we were going to take it. That's about 1 hour away. I live in a tiny little town, right on Main st. It would be really easy to find me if someone nefarious wanted to so I am deliberately vague as to my exact location.  There is a shop not even 5 minutes away. He says he will work on anything, but he prefers to work on Harelys and will talk down to anyone who brings anything else in. Angry We don't even go there for inspections. If I want to be insulted and talked down to I will go see my mother.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:17:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I have a question -just out of curiosity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.