Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changing the stock grips (Read 152 times)
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Changing the stock grips
06/23/11 at 13:55:51

Does anyone know how to take off the stock grips?

Thanks!

KC

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Changing the stock grips
Reply #1 - 06/23/11 at 14:03:34

Pop the "crome" bar end caps off with a flat screw driver and yank like hell on the black stock grips  Grin

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 06/23/11 at 14:13:24

04 Savage wrote on 06/23/11 at 14:03:34:
Pop the "crome" bar end caps off with a flat screw driver and yank like hell on the black stock grips  Grin

That will get the left one off, with a little WD40 sprayed between the rubber and the handlebar. The right comes of when you undo the two bolts on the switch block and disconnect the throttle cable. Then it slides right off.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
04 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/23/11 at 17:00:59

Thanks arteacher, I've only took the stock grips off once and it has been awhile.

IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #4 - 06/23/11 at 17:48:40

The left grip comes off with no problem. The throttle, well it was easy to get the grip off. I didn't have to take it apart. I just did the wd40 and it slid off. The grips I have are universal grips. They don't just snap into the throttle housing like I thought. I placed it over the original plastic throttle under the original grips. This is what ticked me off. I tested it before I put them on. I couldn't place it all the way because it was getting tight and I was afraid that I wouldn't get them off.

Ok, as I was putting on the throttle grip and it got stuck and I had plenty of room to go still. So I took a rubber mallet and I thought I got them all the way on with no problem but the rubber on the end nearest to the kill switch and the starter popped out. This really got me annoyed.  Smiley SmileyI couldn't get the grip off and I couldn't get the rubber to go back in. I had to cut rubber and glue it back into the grip. It looks like crap but you can't see it unless I told you. I'll take a picture as soon as I can. They are beautiful grips. I got the Kuryakyn Iso Grips with weights and a throttle boss.

Thanks for the help guys. Smiley

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #5 - 06/23/11 at 19:02:58

Here's a video of my grips.
http://youtu.be/VXoVWDdAaAQ

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 06/24/11 at 04:23:48

I put Isogrips on and the right side was a complete replacement for the entire grip. I undid the switch housing, loosened the cable adjuster, disconnected the cable, and slid off the old grip. Then I installed the Isogrip in reverse order. No prob.
Mine were part #6235.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #7 - 06/24/11 at 05:13:37

Crap. Mine were 6240. I knew I should have posted here first. I bought them from a reputable shop too locally. Thanks

IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #8 - 06/24/11 at 12:29:28

I just ordered them from eBay and got my money back from the other place.

Thanks Art

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 06/24/11 at 14:12:38

Out of curiosity, did you file down the ribs on the throttle sleeve? I haven't tried this yet, but looking at the online installation directions for the 6240 I thought those were the right ones, just hadn't ordered them yet. I don't see anywhere a fitment guide that correlates the 6235 to our bikes  Undecided

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #10 - 06/24/11 at 14:32:40

if you go to the kuryakyn website and put your bike in the search it will come up. You have to actually click on the right picture. It shows the one with the flames on it but there is a picture of the normal ones that is marked the correct number which is 6235.

I didn't file them down. It wasn't until the end is where I had a problem. So you probably have to file it down like you said. I'd return them. I got lucky because the guy ordered the wrong ones and didn't want to lose my business.

Here are the pics. The throttle has the big throttle boss and both have the heaviest weights. I love the idea that they are so much longer. My mits fit great on them now.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 21:41:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing the stock grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.