Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(cam chain?) noise when cold (Read 280 times)
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

(cam chain?) noise when cold
06/23/11 at 10:47:57

Hello, all -

my friend recently acquired a 1998 Savage with 10k miles in need of some work.  It sat in a barn for several years.  The only riding we've done is about 12 miles from the site of purchase to my garage.  When cold, it was making a noise that sounds to me like cam chain - seems to be in the bottom half of the engine, not high up like valves would be (I assume).  After we got it home and it was fully warmed up, the noise was gone, and you could hear the cam chain spinning without the rattle.

Is what I heard likely the cam chain?  Should I tear into it and check it's state?

It also leaks oil, but we'll talk about that in a different post, I'm sure  Smiley

Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: (cam chain?) noise when cold
Reply #1 - 06/23/11 at 11:20:26

hard to say what it was

but I'd recomend you take the clutch off and look at it.
If done carefully, the gasket can be saved.
take a measurement and you can estimate 1000 miles per mm til you need to look at it again.  19mm is the recomended repair point.

WWW   IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/23/11 at 11:25:32

Hi, Verslagen -

thanks!  As you recall, I've already checked with you on tensioner availability because I was sure that's what it was.  Then I thought that maybe with the noise going away when hot, it wouldn't be, so I thought I'd save myself the cost of a gasket.  But, yeah, better safe than sorry.  Excited to get the bike working for my friend to ride.  And for me to ride every once in a while - I'm not really a cruiser guy, but after riding the Savage home, I kinda want one!

IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/25/11 at 13:36:13

Alright, I made a video of the idle.  Turns out the noise is pretty much the same cold and hot.  Not sure what I was thinking.  This video was taken while the engine was cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBAxgXLlwc

I go back and forth over whether this sounds like the prior video of cam chain noise that was posted or not.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/26/11 at 10:38:20

Why should we guess?

You got several possibilities, all meaning some work.  A loose cam chain is the lesser of the two and you won't know about that until you take the clutch side cover off and look.

If your cam chain is good then your rockers and cam and cam bearings are likely shot due to an oiling failure.

So, hope like hell for the cam chain to be needing a verslavy and go on in there and look.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/26/11 at 18:09:01

Dang, does it really sound like cam bearings/rockers/etc.?  Wouldn't that be on the top end?  To me, this seems like it's coming from the bottom.  I'll check out the cam chain, and update the video as appropriate.  Hopefully it'll be a good resource for others!

IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/27/11 at 15:56:28

So, a poll - if this were your bike making the noise, what would you do first - adjust the valves, or pull the clutch cover and check out the cam chain?

Both will be done before riding, but if doing one fixes the noise, I'll feel better faster Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/27/11 at 17:11:17

Id look at the cam chain first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #8 - 06/27/11 at 20:02:17

adberns wrote on 06/26/11 at 18:09:01:
Dang, does it really sound like cam bearings/rockers/etc.?  Wouldn't that be on the top end?  To me, this seems like it's coming from the bottom.  I'll check out the cam chain, and update the video as appropriate.  Hopefully it'll be a good resource for others!

That noise sounds really bad.  I suspect cam chain problems.

On a different note, I've heard a few times now that the rockers can get pretty noisy.  Is there anyway to fix that?  Tightening?

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #9 - 06/28/11 at 00:24:53

check the cam chain.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/29/11 at 19:52:20

OK, another stupid question.  When you can hear cam chain noise, does this mean the adjuster is no longer seated?  Even if the adjuster were at 18mm (the recommended service limit here), wouldn't it still be applying tension to the chain and keeping the noise down?

So when you hear the noise, does this mean the adjuster has "popped out" and now nothing is providing tension on the chain?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/29/11 at 20:05:19

I think it means it's reached the wiggly point at the end of it's travel...
Once it pops out,.. it's a much bigger noise... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/29/11 at 20:14:33

Well, yea, the noise IS bigger, but it doesnt last long..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #13 - 06/29/11 at 20:38:57

adberns wrote on 06/29/11 at 19:52:20:
OK, another stupid question.  When you can hear cam chain noise, does this mean the adjuster is no longer seated?  Even if the adjuster were at 18mm (the recommended service limit here), wouldn't it still be applying tension to the chain and keeping the noise down?

So when you hear the noise, does this mean the adjuster has "popped out" and now nothing is providing tension on the chain?

The easiest thing to do would just be to grit your teeth, and pop that clutch cover open.  You'll have all your answers then, instead of conjectures.  

I would guess that if you're getting noise and vibration, the adjuster is way past the 18mm mark, and starting wobble.

IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Source of the noise
Reply #14 - 07/02/11 at 15:22:15

As you recall, I posted earlier a YouTube video of a friend's bike that had a bad noise going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBAxgXLlwc

So, got a chance to check out the bike this weekend.  Check it out.

The tensioner was (obviously) completely out.  The spring was actually broken, with part in the plunger and part in the body.  The tensioner parts were just lightly resting on the gear, which had some wear (shown below).

So, time to get me a Verslavy!  Luckily we didn't ride it for long with the noise, and damage seems to be minimal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › (cam chain?) noise when cold

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.