Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Have fuel, have spark ... no start! (Read 367 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Have fuel, have spark ... no start!
Reply #15 - 06/23/11 at 04:12:40

If you have the air box off you can get a spray bottle with gas in it and keep spraying in the carb and it will keep running as long as you keep putting gas in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/23/11 at 09:18:22

Thank you all for your help!  I looked through the Hawaiian Style procedure and got intimidated by the time I got to step 16!  Is there a "less technical" way other than taking the whole carb apart piece by piece?  Does the carb need to be removed in order to fill it with seafoam? How do you fill the carb?

From the above replies, I gathered that the vac port is the big round port in the back of the carb, right? What other things need to come out before the airbox can be remove? Thanks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 06/23/11 at 10:24:31

Vac port is right-side, coming from rear of petcock... usually has a chrome spring covering the tube...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 06/23/11 at 10:32:38

Drop the fuel bowl and put 1 ounce of Sea Foam in it,then put on prime quick way to get Sea Foam in the jets and on the slide.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 06/23/11 at 11:07:57

Vers, I will try to start with some gas in the vac port.  Do I need to reconnect the hose before cranking?  Bill, do I leave the petcock on prime overnight? Thanks.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #20 - 06/23/11 at 12:50:42

Tixin, taking the carb off and taking it apart is really not as bad as it seems, it just takes a little bit of patience!  Smiley
Honestly, I think the worst part of it is putting the carb back in place on the bike, that's the part that takes me the most time (about 5 minutes).
To drop the bowl, you'll need a phillips head screwdriver, it's 4 screws on the bottom of the carb.  They can be tough to get to though, so patience!  When removing the bowl, use a little caution as the float is in there as well, you may need to wiggle the bowl a little to get it past the battery box.
If you want to try squirting gas in the vac port on the right side of the carb first, then I would reconnect the hose before cranking.  Or you could leave the hose off and set the petc0ck to prime.  Bill means to set the petc0ck to prime and then crank it, I believe.  The seafoam in the bowl won't go anywhere if it's not being forced through the carb.
In all honesty, it seems like your best bet would be to pull the carb off and clean it out good; it may seem intimidating, but it's much easier to do than it sounds.
Smiley

delucaja   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 06/23/11 at 13:17:34

jdeluca wrote on 06/23/11 at 12:50:42:
In all honesty, it seems like your best bet would be to pull the carb off and clean it out good; it may seem intimidating, but it's much easier to do than it sounds.
Smiley

+1...
Seafoam is no more than a "Hail Mary pass"...
...if you try it,... go to church, say three rosaries, and cross all your fingers first...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 06/23/11 at 13:28:48

Its NOT a Phillips.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 06/23/11 at 13:40:13

tixin wrote on 06/23/11 at 11:07:57:
Vers, I will try to start with some gas in the vac port.  Do I need to reconnect the hose before cranking?  Bill, do I leave the petcock on prime overnight? Thanks.

No you just put it on prime when you are ready to start it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/23/11 at 13:45:42

My plan is to drain the bowl, inject Seafoam via the fuel supply line coming from the petcock, refill the carb by turning to prime for 5 minutes, leave it alone overnight ?? (I don't get this part because it seems the Seafoam would just sit in the bowl?), then crank it in the morning.  Please stop me before I do real damage to the bike!  If my prayer is not answered, it would be Hawaiian time!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 06/23/11 at 13:53:50

Seafoam will do nothing just seating in the bowl,You have to crank it some to get it up in the carb.It would be like putting a carb cleaner in a car and not driving it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/23/11 at 17:14:07

Progress Report: Squirted a little gas into the vac port and it vroom vroom right up .... then died as gas ran out.  I liked the sound so much, I did it three times. Grin.  Injected some Seafoam into the bowl and cranked about 10 times with no result ... yet!  Will pull carb tomorrow if it doesn't start tonight!  Good night folks!

IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 06/23/11 at 22:00:14

I can't sleep .... so I pulled the carb and took it apart!  Followed the Hawaiian method and had everything disassembled as shown, except for the needle jet.  Is this thing located below the main jet as shown in Step 19??  So far, the only thing I saw plugged up is the pilot jet.  Everything else is clean and the rubbers are not sticky.  I think I can get by without soaking and just put in new jets.  Hope the bike shops around here carry them.  BTW, I scratched the valve pretty bad, do I need to replace it now?   Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 06/23/11 at 22:41:00

tixin wrote on 06/23/11 at 22:00:14:
except for the needle jet.
It's in the slide in the top of the carb. step 15

Quote:
BTW, I scratched the valve pretty bad, do I need to replace it now? .

Float valve? where is it scratched?

WWW   IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 06/24/11 at 04:01:59

verslagen1 wrote on 06/23/11 at 22:41:00:
Float valve? where is it scratched?

It's the valve in Step 19.  Had to used a needlenose pliers to yank it out, but didn't tape it first.  My bad!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Have fuel, have spark ... no start!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.