Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
For you guys-n-gals running stock carbs setups.... (Read 248 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: For you guys-n-gals running stock carbs setups
Reply #15 - 06/22/11 at 18:38:01

bill67 wrote on 06/22/11 at 15:14:43:
Where does this fine sand you talk about come from,When you get gas there is a filter on the gas nozzle.I have always kept my bikes and lawn mowers and power washers,, weed whackers,and other engines in a dry garage maybe thats why I never have the troubles some people have on here.  

I suspect most of it comes from gas pumps.  I have little faith in the filtering systems at gas stations.

I always keep all my internal combustion machinery dry as well.

One time I was touring along on an '84 Gold Wing, and it started missing, and then slowed to a point where it could not do anything but idle.  After a while, I discovered the fuel filter was clogged up with reaaaallly fine brown stuff,.. felt like mud, but when you put it on your fingers it felt like gritty compound.  I have no idea where it came from.  The tank was not rusty.  The bike was always kept garaged.  I can only speculate it was contaminated gas.

Anyway, a paper element filter (which I did add to the Gold Wing and every bike since) is cheap and simple insurance.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: For you guys-n-gals running stock carbs setups
Reply #16 - 06/22/11 at 22:03:22

I posted a photo here of some grit in the float bowl that I removed from my perfect running bike,......for curiosity purpose only.
That grit got thru the screen in the tank.
Had that grit got into an idle passage, it would have meant a carb cleanout.
And the worst part, I still haven't put a fuel filter on it !!
I confess, I been workin on my new boat instead Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:15:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › For you guys-n-gals running stock carbs setups....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.