12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: Speedbumps?
Reply #15 - 06/23/11 at 06:20:46

Wolfman wrote on 06/22/11 at 23:54:54:
Supposedly anything north of about I-70 is to far for them.

I wish someone would tell the dillos that. I have seen a few up around here. I have had more close calls with turkey vultures lately than with other critters. I had a rabbit run into me couple of weeks ago, darn rabbit hit my foot and jarred my leg/hip.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/23/11 at 07:26:29

Round here, you just adjust your riding accordingly like most every place else.

Whenever I feel like I really wanna open it up, I just look back on the pillion and there sits ole mister Murphy, and his book of Law.

Seriously though, the deer are a constant.   Turkeys are a constant this time of year, but not so much in the fall.
What has really been causing the problem lately is the black bear population.   They have been very active, and are on the roads alot more.  One of my wife's co-workers just hit one in a car.

I know folks will scoff at this, but I have been seeing more and more (relative to previous sightings) big cats.   I don't know what you wanna call'em, cougars...puma...mountian lion......whatever.  Big and long and look like a whole heap 'o trouble.   Just catch glimpses of them, but report to the local game wardens and they just laugh at ya and say "there aint none of those around here"......makes me wonder how much wildlife work is actually done in the wild versus sleeping at an overlook in the Tahoe. Wink

God bless,

Farmer

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #17 - 06/23/11 at 15:34:05

Yeah 12B, supposedly even SW MO is to cold for them. See the lil bassturds running around in possum fur coats. Roll Eyes
Didnt used to hardly see a one except the odd one on the road or south of I44. Now their so common place most folks pay no attention to them.

Dillos im leary of but skunks i Fear! Dont want to hit one of them lil black n white stink bombs on the bike. It would make you CRY! :'(

VA, they know their there but they wont admit to it. IF they admit to those types of cats being in the area they become responsible for any stock damage ect.
If its a Non Native invasive species(like dillos) or a Cat 'just wondering through' their not responsible. They wont admit to them untill they absolutely have to. All game agencies are that way.
That and denying their exsistance means fewer folks will be out looking for and possibly even trying to shoot them.
Have played that game for many many years with the MDC over cougars and black bears here in MO.

They admit to cougars now(couldnt deny em any longer, to many sightings and proof). And of course our non exsistant bears went from zero esistance to at least 300 and possibly 900 resident bears overnight(literaly).
You get a couple seen inside lebanon MO and a couple hit on the highway it gets hard to deny them...lol
Dont think i want to hit either one, might pi$$ em off! Shocked

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 06/23/11 at 18:56:10

Our neighborhood in Washington had resident bears, bobcats, cougars, deer, elk, bald and golden (supposedly not found west of the Cascade Range) eagles, resident owls. And the ballsiest chipmunks you ever saw, they were always on the patio making funny faces at the cats (until I put in a cat flap). Of course, I did live IN the mountains.

Game department denied wolves and grizzlies for years, until too many were shot by people who don't know the difference between them and coyotes or black bears. Same idiots who shot an elk calf during deer season, in the neighborhood.

We used to have a flock of wild turkeys and a small group of wild hogs locally. Now extinct on my place, lots of "Mountain Williams" (hillbillies) in the area. And moonshiners...

I hit a dillo in Savannah MS years ago with an F600 garbage truck. Dillo got stuck between the dual tires... not sure what smelled worse.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #19 - 06/23/11 at 21:21:24

I saw a cougar once while camping in Anza-Borrego State Park in California.  It was on a hillside some distance away and it just slunk from one bit of brushy cover to another.  Just a couple of seconds, but those guys will definitely focus your attention!  I was hopping out of my tent with my hunting knife in my hand at the sound of every kangaroo rat that night!

Also, it was the only backpacking trip I ever accepted a ride out from.  There was obvious rain clouds off in the distance, so flash floods were a real possibility.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/24/11 at 08:13:28

I was hopping out of my tent with my hunting knife in my hand at the sound of every kangaroo rat that night!

Lemmie tell ya what---first off, I do not promote breaking the law....but some law is oppressive.

Secondly, I understand you WERE in the People's Republic of Kalifornia...

BUT.......I would be packing more than a good knife Wink

A good knife can be a man's best friend, but no substitute for a well concealed, outta sight-outta mind pistola.  
Hot lead has been deterring wild animals and would be criminals for many a year now.

God bless ya,

Farmer

IP Logged
joscswny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NH
Reply #21 - 06/24/11 at 09:36:19

Quote:
Hey dont pick on my hamburgs. Just caue you may have had a few bad ones doesnt make them all bad. My burgers a nice thick and juicy. If you are ever up this way Ill make you a few with some really good macaroni salad.

Good girl Kristen Ann!  Sorry to be so late to your support.  Don' be takin' no trash talk from them what put red stuff in chowder.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 06/25/11 at 10:25:35

Red chowder? That NYC garbage? Bleah...

Food around here isn't very good anymore either. Too much salt, too much soybean oil, too much MSG.

Seattle area food blows chunks too. Overcooked, underseasoned, toxic seafoods (smelt is bait, not food; fish in Puget Sound are full of copper, lead and arsenic, fun to catch but do not eat them). And if the coffee is really as burnt as it smells (Starbucks aka SorryF**ks, Seattle's Best (they mean worst) so you need to fill it with syrups and soy milk, don't drink it. Citiots... (city idiots).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 06/25/11 at 13:38:51

In the 60's and 70's we had several people hit alligators along the Tamiami Trail between Miami and Naples FL. The trail was about 150 miles of desolate, high speed road that was about three feet above the canal on either side.
Imagine striking a black speed bump crossing a black road, at three in the morning with six feet of water on either side of the road bed. If the gator crawled off and the driver was killed the cops would chalk it up to speed, drinking, drugs, or all of the above. I am sure that there are still some people out there that were never accounted for.

IP Logged
joscswny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NH
Reply #24 - 07/02/11 at 14:29:58

What do you suppose the gators think of people?  Bland?  Not enough lean red meat?

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #25 - 07/03/11 at 19:11:19

Last week I had a blue recycle bin fall out of the top of a large truck passing me going the other direction. Fell right in front of me and bounced. I veered a bit left and it hit me in the right foot and some of the peg. I was going about 35 mph and straight so I was able to keep the bike upright. Scared the piss out of me though. Happened so fast but I guess they always do.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #26 - 07/03/11 at 19:35:53

You know how when you read a post, the ads above it scroll and catch key words to match adverts to what you are reading about.

Well I had a really good laugh at the latest one whilst reading this post - "Now selling Armadillo Repellent - GUARNTEED to work instantly"

Grin just what we need when out riding in dillo country!  Grin Cheesy Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #27 - 07/03/11 at 21:02:26

Went to run a quick trip to town. As i was runing out the gravel road had a lil ole black snake about 3 feet long layed out in the road in front of me. Think i missed all of him except the tip of his tail. His buddies probably call him stubby now...lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:24:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Speedbumps?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.