Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Speedbumps?
06/21/11 at 15:50:47

Ahh the wonder of whats around the next corner....lol

Comeing home last night from the daughters i was ripping along listening to my toons and cutting some corners.
Top a small hill that leads into a downhill lefthand curve. See something dark in the middle of my lane about halfway through the curve as i lay into it. Looks like a big blob of tar at first but then as im almost on top of it it turns into a d@mn dillio headon.
No place to go but push left a lil harder put a lil more lean into the body and roll on the throttle to tighten up the turn and miss the lil bugger.

If id of just dropped my foot off the peg id of kicked him right between the eyes. Missed with the bike by about 18 inchs.
I hate them d@mn things!
Afterward i thought about what might of happened.
The lil bassturds like to jump when their scared, straight up 2 feet.
Good grill height on a car. More like across the top of the front fender into the headlight and over the top into the riders head/chest on a bike.

Bad enough haveing to watch for deer 24/7 around here but dead, dieing and live dillos in the road are a REAL pain in the arse!

Whats been your latest speedbump...lol

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Speedbumps?
Reply #1 - 06/21/11 at 16:20:18

.. but how do they taste?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 06/21/11 at 16:33:00

They taste like skunks, raccoons and nutria. Like English style roast beef (dry sawdust). Or New England style hamburgers (charcoal). Depends on how you cook them. They smell worse than they taste (kinda like MREs or C-rations).

Local church men's club would send leftovers from their wild game banquets to the sod farm I worked at down here 10-12 years ago.

Had to play dodge 'em with a box turtle this morning. Must be breeding season, they are everywhere down here.

And there is a dead dillo in the lower garden area, even the buzzards won't eat it (but the beagle will, go figure).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 06/21/11 at 17:03:18

Dillos have a fine grained white meat like a good pork cut.
You can eat em but make d@mn sure their fully cooked.
They carry leprosy which you cant get by handleing them(supposedly), but you CAN get it from eatting their undercooked meats.
Last instances of leprosy was during the depression when folks were cooking them but didnt get em fully cooked. Thats also where possum on the half shell came from...lol

D@mn things are so stinking nasty a vulture wont eat em hardly. Dogs eat em they can get botchelism from them. Lost one last year like that and made another almost dead sick.
Kill em all!

IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #4 - 06/21/11 at 17:06:34

Hey dont pick on my hamburgs. Just caue you may have had a few bad ones doesnt make them all bad. My burgers a nice thick and juicy. If you are ever up this way Ill make you a few with some really good macaroni salad.

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 06/21/11 at 17:46:46

KristenAnn if I am ever lucky enuf to get to your
neck of the woods, I will pass on your kind of
burgers. I prefer beef or chicken.

So far, knocking on wood.  I have been lucky and
not ran over anything. Came close couple weeks
ago. I am not even sure how I missed the lil Chipmunk.
It had to have ran in between the frame and the tire.
I mean he shot out so quick. I was sure I hit him.
Yet looking in the mirror he made it across the other
side. Their was no bump as their would have been had
I ran over him.
I was happy to see that it had survived. Smiley kim

IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #6 - 06/21/11 at 18:39:32

oh we call beef burgers hamburgers out here in the east. We also have grinders while you may have subs, hero hogie ect. different words same food.

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
Silly Ogre

Former S40 Owner

Stuarts Draft VA
Reply #7 - 06/21/11 at 18:57:05

DO Dillos serve any beneficial purpose? LOL I am glad that I only have to worry about deer and dogs... I had the opportunity to work an accident of a guy who hit a deer on a Softtail...The deer ran out in front of him he hit it with the fender it flew up on his arms...He had the sense to just drop one arm and throw it off without losing control...The only damage was a bent shift lever and dinged fender...

2009 V-Star Classic 650...Silly Ogre is what one of my twin daughters call me...Guess I remind her of Shrek LOL...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/21/11 at 21:38:04

Silly Ogre wrote on 06/21/11 at 18:57:05:
DO Dillos serve any beneficial purpose? LOL I am glad that I only have to worry about deer and dogs... I had the opportunity to work an accident of a guy who hit a deer on a Softtail...The deer ran out in front of him he hit it with the fender it flew up on his arms...He had the sense to just drop one arm and throw it off without losing control...The only damage was a bent shift lever and dinged fender...

DO Dillos serve any beneficial purpose?

I have an older friend who is a master gardener & knower of many things. He taught me o not kill red wasps, because they kill garden bugs, lik tomato worms. He respects  all life, everything has some good purpose, except Dillos.. he said Kill them sorry thangs, theyre No Good fer Nuthin, politicians of the animal kingdom.. & they carry leprosy., dont mess with them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/21/11 at 21:49:16

Where I live, the deer pop. has exploded. I almost hit a turkey last week. I have never seen a turkey here in my life. Since the banning of DDT many moons ago, the explosion of bird life is incredible.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/22/11 at 03:10:53

You can still get DDT, every old farm in the USA is likely to have a few cans of livestock dust floating around.

Wish I could find a few barrels of chlordane, another banned insecticide. It worked too well, politicians couldn't get their agri-chemical kickbacks.

KristenAnn, beef cooked beyond rare is a crime. Too bad commercial beef is loaded with toxins and bacteria that almost necessitate over-cooking. And anywhere I've eaten in New England has overcooked EVERYTHING. That's hundreds if not thousands of homes, cafes, sandwich shops, etc. Must be the British influence. Lobster, crab and scallops the texture of pencil erasers... Charcoal like meats... Soggy everything else... Yep, sounds like English food to me.

Wait until you get wild hogs SuperSavage. Bike vibration attracts them (and water mocassins) and they want to attack.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 06/22/11 at 05:30:38

A speedbump inverted -- friggin potholes!  I do give some credit to the guys though, they are trying to patch them, but man this winter was hard on our roads!  

Deer are the most likely thing for me to see jump out on the road.  Of course, dogs, cats, snakes, possum, 'coons, are all fairly common too.  Can think of 3 nearby areas with fields next to the road that have some "resident" groundhogs.  See them there regularly.  One was sitting about 2 feet beyond the white line on the side of the road the other day, but I don't see them road-killed very much.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #12 - 06/22/11 at 14:20:38

Whistle pigs got a lil more smarts then them stupid dillos.
Whistle pigs will run from a car.
Dillos have such bad eyesight and are so d@mn stupid they stand there in the middle of the road untill a car is right on them then they 'jump'(defensive mechanism) about 2 feet straight up.
This puts them about grill height on a car, bumper height on a truck and right into your sloped forks n headlight on a bike.
They dont squish down real well when you roll over em either like a coon or possum will. Mini ramps for air launchs.

Only real saveings grace is the lil bassturds run at night mostly.
Mostly......
Oh, dont kick one of the lil buggers as you ride by. Its like kicking a rock...lol

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #13 - 06/22/11 at 19:45:44

Yup, we've got armadillos here in Missouri, too.  I've read announcements that they can't survive the winters this far north, they'll never be able to cross the Missouri River, and so on.  The only problem is, dillos can't read, so they just keep heading northwards!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #14 - 06/22/11 at 23:54:54

The last winter or two has done a number on them. Just not enough of a number.
Supposedly anything north of about I-70 is to far for them.
Ive been seeing them along 44 and up along 54 for many years.
Stinking things are so thick around here now noone pays any attention to ones along the road.

As for crossing the MO river dillos can swim and if the rivers too wide or fast they can and will walk along the bottom holding their breath.
Only good thing abou them is they make good target practice. But then you got to haul the stinking things waayyy off.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:26:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Speedbumps?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.