Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Changing Rear Tire Tube (Read 305 times)
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Changing Rear Tire Tube
06/20/11 at 23:10:05

Is it hard to do?

My rear tire was leaking around the valvestem so we put a seal around it and then noticed air leaking from the spokes. Obviously time for a new tube, can get one for around $12 but I couldn't find much info about removing the rear tire or changing tires/tubes.

If it's really not that big of a deal I'd like to save the money but it feels like maybe this time I should let the shop do it.

Or I could remove the tire/rim myself and just take it to them to install the tube and put it back on myself?

I'll have to do some calling and see what the price would be.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Changing Rear Tire Tube
Reply #1 - 06/20/11 at 23:23:07

Take the tire off and take out the tube and decide for yourself how tuff it is.

Hint, I don't do tires with tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/20/11 at 23:44:49

Have you ever wrestled a 'gator?...

Me neither...  

I pay the pros for flat fixes... they got machines...

I used to do my own on my dirt bike,... but, either tires got tougher or I got ....  
...let's just say tires got tougher... Huh...

I do pull the wheels to take them in,... that saves a few bucks...

PS,.. keep in mind,... if you pinch the tube while putting it back on,... you're going to want to blow your brains out...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #3 - 06/21/11 at 00:37:01

Serowbot wrote on 06/20/11 at 23:44:49:
Have you ever wrestled a 'gator?...

Me neither...  

I pay the pros for flat fixes... they got machines...

I used to do my own on my dirt bike,... but, either tires got tougher or I got ....  
...let's just say tires got tougher... Huh...

I do pull the wheels to take them in,... that saves a few bucks...

PS,.. keep in mind,... if you pinch the tube while putting it back on,... you're going to want to blow your brains out...

I too have changed dirtbike tires and it was a pain but not as bad as doing car tires with manual tire bars. Although breaking them off the bead is pretty easy with a full size bronco. Easiest way we found to break the bead on the car tires was to run it over slowly lol Wouldn't attempt that with a motorcycle rim though.

It seems taking the tire off and taking it somewhere is the best bet for convenience and money, but as I stated I didn't know how difficult removing the rear tire would be. I know the rear tire has to be aligned properly and thats where I worry.

The tire is a Dunlop 140/90 15, but the tubes have different valvestems and sizes ranging from 8mm up. I'm almost positive I need the TR-4 or TR-6 and I believe 8mm is correct.

And yeah you're right. I don't want to even go there with the tube pinching. I had pretty much figured I'd take the tire/rim/tube to a shop and have them do it but thought maybe if it actually wasn't that bad or someone had a better idea I'd ask.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/21/11 at 00:45:23

Oh,... I get it, now...
You're just talking about pulling the wheel...

Easy as toast...
First time is always the hardest, but I can do it now in just a couple of minutes...
... it saves me $20 or $30 bucks here... I don't remember exactly, but it's worth the effort...
... alignment isn't that tough... just line up both adjusters, then double check by eyeballing the tire at the front of the swingarm...  the belt is going to do what it does on that cush drive anyway...  I have my belt tension pretty loose, because of my 12" shocks, and it runs fine, so long as it's not so loose that it slips... 90" method, or about an 1" of up/down wiggle in the mid-point is fine... you need to leave room for the suspension to work without binding it up...
I know others are more meticulous about it, but I don't notice much difference...  I guess if it's noisy when you're done, you can try snugging or loosening a little... but it's not rocket science...
...more like voodoo... Grin...
Wink...

IP Logged
tragicallysteph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thunder Bay, ON
Reply #5 - 06/21/11 at 05:50:57

Just pulled my rear tire off over the weekend for the first time (big staple in it) and it wasn't too bad - I found the reinstalling bit tougher. It does save you some cash like Serowbot mentioned, plus it’s fun to wrench on a bike  Cheesy.
Since I’ve had mine for only a few weeks and couldn’t ride this weekend, I took this opportunity to do some clean up: removed badges - removed the passenger pegs – removed upper and lower belt guards (my left pant leg is filthy this morning, d’oh!  Huh)

Be Kind Rewind.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 06/21/11 at 09:33:49

i vote for DIY.

it's a bit of a pain, i admit,  but after a couple of times it's pretty easy.  

To break the bead, put a piece of plywood or several peices of cardboard on the ground under your car's bumper, put wheel on plywood, foot of jack just against the rim, and jack up the car.

i spent $10-15 on a set of tire irons when i had to change the first one, that was a good investment - with a little care you can avoid pinching the tube

best thing about DIY -  IMHO -  is you can do the change when it fits your schedule-  be it 6 AM or 11PM.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/21/11 at 09:41:10

Rumor around here is,... Runwyrlph wrestles 'gators for fun, on his lunch breaks...

You may not have heard that rumor yet,... 'cause I only just started it... Huh...

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #8 - 06/21/11 at 09:52:34

the secret is to hold their mouths closed.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 06/21/11 at 11:12:12

I replaced my rear tire....

Removing the rear tire is not difficult, staking down the front end and jacking the rear.  Ms.Paladin has a tire bead breaker, a couple of tire irons and could wrestled it off.  New rim strip, new tubes, new Metzeler.  Harder to put on than off.

I could do the front off, could not get it on, so I took it to Vic.  Good guy, but did not match the spot of the tire to the valve.  Which meant it is not using the least minimum balance weights.  My rear tire is, and static balanced to within a quarter ounce.

« Last Edit: 06/21/11 at 17:23:21 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #10 - 06/21/11 at 11:39:11

Majick...are you sure the tire is a tube-type?  Somewhere on the sidewalls, there will be a notation "tube-type" or "tubeless."  Back in the day, wire wheels only used tube-type; today you will see both styles.

In any case, my vote is you do the wheel R&R and the shop does the tire breakdown and remount...and balance.

Good luck!

Terry

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #11 - 06/21/11 at 13:44:48

T2 wrote on 06/21/11 at 11:39:11:
Majick...are you sure the tire is a tube-type?  Somewhere on the sidewalls, there will be a notation "tube-type" or "tubeless."  Back in the day, wire wheels only used tube-type; today you will see both styles.

In any case, my vote is you do the wheel R&R and the shop does the tire breakdown and remount...and balance.

Good luck!

Terry

I've thought this very same thing. The tire says "TUBELESS" but I was told that really doesn't mean anything. I know it is possible to have spoked rims and run tubeless, but unlikely on older bikes.

People make the mistake of thinking the rubber strip around the rim is to run tubeless but is actually to protect the tube from any sharp edges on the spoke side. They have a similar way to make it tubeless but I understand its more involved with sealing and using a more heavy duty piece of rubber.

The valvestem looks like it's a tube, as at first we thought it was tubeless and thought we should just replace the valvestem and seal. But a quick ride to the local shop showed us our valvestem was different than a tubeless valvestem.

I guess we'll find out as soon as I pull it off!

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #12 - 06/21/11 at 14:06:19

runwyrlph wrote on 06/21/11 at 09:33:49:
i vote for DIY.

it's a bit of a pain, i admit,  but after a couple of times it's pretty easy.  

To break the bead, put a piece of plywood or several peices of cardboard on the ground under your car's bumper, put wheel on plywood, foot of jack just against the rim, and jack up the car.

i spent $10-15 on a set of tire irons when i had to change the first one, that was a good investment - with a little care you can avoid pinching the tube

best thing about DIY -  IMHO -  is you can do the change when it fits your schedule-  be it 6 AM or 11PM.

I hear ya. If it's not too much I'll probably just have a shop do it. I've never been the one in the family who was into that stuff. My father (RIP) was a certified mechanic from Cars, bikes, boats and everything inbetween. My older brother followed in his footsteps and became a great car/truck mechanic. My younger brother did the same but is more into dirtbikes, motorcycles and small engines.

I'm the oddball that was fascinated with computers and music. In the 90s when the brothers were learning to wrench out in the driveway, I was practicing different positions of the pentatonic scale, modes of the major, and learning my favorite Metallica tunes. When I wasn't doing that I was messing with HTML and pirating anything and everything.

Funny though, from just being in this family I probably know more about cars than most backyard mechanics. I love muscle and horsepower, just don't care to get dirty cursing at a motor.

But it works out. I need help on a car or bike and I can call my brothers. Everytime they have a PC issue they call me.

Actually, just lastnight I had my brother put my exhaust back on. I found out due to the really dry and hot conditions in Idaho, it's required to run a muffler because of the fire risk. He's getting pretty tired of working on my bike and thats why I'm hesitant to ask him to do all this work. But soon after I left he calls me and tells me his PC is shutting down before it gets to Windows. I ask him what he did. He explains his CPU heatsink was clogged up with dust and he didn't have compressed air so he took the heatsink off, washed it and put it back on. I then explained to him the importance of thermal conductive paste and that now it's just metal to metal the cpu is heating up super fast and the motherboard is shutting it down to protect it. He admits that yes, he cleaned off some sort of "paste" and felt a bit silly about it after.

Just goes to show, we're all good at some things, but other things should be left to someone who knows.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #13 - 06/21/11 at 14:20:38

tragicallysteph wrote on 06/21/11 at 05:50:57:
Just pulled my rear tire off over the weekend for the first time (big staple in it) and it wasn't too bad - I found the reinstalling bit tougher. It does save you some cash like Serowbot mentioned, plus it’s fun to wrench on a bike  Cheesy.
Since I’ve had mine for only a few weeks and couldn’t ride this weekend, I took this opportunity to do some clean up: removed badges - removed the passenger pegs – removed upper and lower belt guards (my left pant leg is filthy this morning, d’oh!  Huh)

lol you sound like my younger brother. He wants me to take the chrome rails and backrest off, remove passenger pegs and seat, remove the belt guards, muffler, bracket, air box etc etc He's trying to convince me to make her a bobber.

I'm more into safety and comfort. His Virago 750 bobber looks sick, but I don't even like sitting on it in the driveway. Plus if I made my a bike a one seater or a bobber without a passenger seat my old lady wouldn't be too thrilled about never coming along on rides. Now a raked front end, tall king & queen with a high sissy bar and mini apes...that sounds nice.

I found kits that can give our bikes 9, 14 and higher degree rakes but it's $2000! But I must admit, the photo on the site with the Savage and a 14degree rake looks amazing.

http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/Suzuki-S40%20_05_pics.htm

My badges were already removed when I got the bike. Only place that says Suzuki is on the backrest. Someone painted it dark blue metal flake and painted skulls and cards on the side(aces and 8s). You can see a picture in the "Need Help!!!" thread. Looks cool but I got other plans. I want to get it painted off white and have some black/blue pinstriping done and maybe some tribal on the tank. There is a guy here in Boise who does amazing airbrush work and he's cheap cheap cheap.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #14 - 06/21/11 at 14:22:02

Paladin. wrote on 06/21/11 at 11:12:12:
I replaced my rear tire....
http://www.savageriders.com/paladin/BikeLift.jpg   http://www.savageriders.com/paladin/images/BalancingRear.jpg
Removing the rear tire is not difficult, staking down the front end and jacking the rear.  Ms.Paladin has a tire bead breaker, a couple of tire irons and could wrestled it off.  New rim strip, new Metzeler, new tires.  Harder to put on than off.

I could do the front off, could not get it on, so I took it to Vic.  Good guy, but did not match the spot of the tire to the valve.  Which meant it is not using the least minimum balance weights.  My rear tire is, and static balanced to within a quarter ounce.

Thanks for the info! I already have some tire bars. I worry about damaging the rim though.

So you run tubeless?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:42:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing Rear Tire Tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.