Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
engine cutting out in 5th gear (Read 132 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
engine cutting out in 5th gear
06/20/11 at 22:04:12

Anyone exp engine cutting out when coming to a stop?  I am going about 40-45mph, in 5th gear, clutch in and breakes on... as I stop, I notice my engine is dead.  This only happend twice, but I dont go this fast normally, as most of my riding is city riding.

Otherwise, the bike runs great.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: engine cutting out in 5th gear
Reply #1 - 06/20/11 at 22:18:22

sudden release of the throttle is known to cause the idle speed to drop, sometimes stalling the engine.  Clean the carb, spend some time with the tev valve better know as the air shut off valve.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 06/20/11 at 23:28:16

Mine does that about once every couple of months. After finding my petcock needed hose clamps on the vacuum hose, I soon learned that the petcock was problematic. Saturday I rode it to town with some surging and jumping. When I let off the throttle to do a left, I had to recrank after coasting through the turn. Putting the lever to "prime" always fixed it and I rode a mile or so before switching back. I will be ordering the Raptor petcock today. It's not a bad problem, but it's not right. Easy swap, inexpensive, and I am curious to see if I will increase my hp by perhaps getting more fuel to my carb when I need it. Verslagen and others on here have good input and lots of experience. However, on my '01 I think this is what I need. It never hurts to clean your carb. Is your bike idled high enough? Low idle adds to the problem Versy described and it's not good for oil pressure.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #3 - 06/21/11 at 06:15:38

Mine stalled thru a few turns when first got it. Idling up just a bit fixed that. I don't do 5th gear stops, I always downshift while slowing down as a habit.  May try it just to see.

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #4 - 06/21/11 at 09:23:44

Thanks everyone!

I am going to see if cleaning will help.  I think my idle is low also...

by the way, where can I buy a raptor petcock? Does anyone have a part number?

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 06/21/11 at 19:01:23

I am so proud that I ordered mine today, I've been telling everyone. I felt so left out running stock.  Grin For: 2003 Yamaha 660 YFM660R. Part #LP-24500-01-00. $17-25. If you order from most dealers you don't pay shipping, because they don't. I ordered the O ring just in case the OE rubber is wrong.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #6 - 06/21/11 at 21:47:17

Is it this?  5LP-24500-01-00 and not #LP-24500-01-00... I could not find the part number with # sign.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 06/22/11 at 01:25:40

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 06/22/11 at 11:47:10

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 06/21/11 at 21:47:17:
Is it this?  5LP-24500-01-00 and not #LP-24500-01-00... I could not find the part number with # sign.

Thanks again.

Tie, back when I was in school, we had to push a dinosaur to school uphill both ways in a tar pit. But they used the # sign to indicate "Number" or "Pound".  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:05:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine cutting out in 5th gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.