Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changing the exhaust - easy or hard? (Read 122 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Changing the exhaust - easy or hard?
06/19/11 at 14:14:17

I need to change out my exhaust pipe that's rainbow colored for this one:

Is this something that I can do with normal tools, just dismount and remount the new one with the bike on it's kickstand or do I need a professional?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Changing the exhaust - easy or hard?
Reply #1 - 06/19/11 at 14:39:26

2 bolts where pipe meets engine. 2 bolts to remove heat shield. 2 bolts at rear mount bracket. Piece of cake.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/19/11 at 14:49:35

He'll have to get the muffler swapped ,too... that's one clamp and a big hammer.... ...or try pulling and twisting and cursing...
 Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 06/19/11 at 14:55:30

Serowbot wrote on 06/19/11 at 14:49:35:
He'll have to get the muffler swapped ,too... that's one clamp and a big hammer.... ...or try pulling and twisting and cursing...
 Grin...

I was really happy till I read this.. Sad

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - 06/19/11 at 15:09:18

Serowbot wrote on 06/19/11 at 14:49:35:
 Grin...

What does the hammer do for you?  I remember people saying you gotta soak wd-40 in the joint for a few days, or something.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/19/11 at 15:11:13

Ahhh,.. it's not always that hard...  Try disconnecting it before you loosen the pipe,... (wiggle n' twist n' pull, wiggle n' twist n' pull,... Cha' Cha' music helps...)

You'll probably need a new compression gasket on the manifold/pipe connection too.... costs $3 or $4 bucks...

PS... Cumon' Howie!,... you know what hammers are for... Wink...

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 06/19/11 at 15:17:43

Serowbot wrote on 06/19/11 at 15:11:13:
You'll probably need a new compression gasket on the manifold/pipe connection too.... costs $3 or $4 bucks...

Is this the part where I can get rid of the backfire/after pop? And also the decel popping...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/19/11 at 15:19:46

... if it's leaking,.. you'll get lots o' pops...

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 06/19/11 at 15:33:46

Serowbot wrote on 06/19/11 at 15:19:46:
... if it's leaking,.. you'll get lots o' pops...

I only get pops when deceling, mostly going over 40 or 50mph.. sounds normal to me from what I've read.. and I see nothing leaking ever on the pavement (before driving or after back from a ride).. she's a 2005 s40 and I got her with 4k miles and promptly checked out everything in the maintenance section of the manual, except the spark plug but she starts up just fine.

And the Speed of Dark is me after I'm done customizing this sweet lil baby Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/19/11 at 18:30:58

You won't see an exhaust leak on the pavement. The muffler to pipe joint seems welded when you try pulling the muffler, but air still finds a way in. Wanna know why and where? Factory moisture drainage hole. It isn't a one way valve, sucks in air between exhaust pulses at lower rpms. Pull the muffler, you'll see the hole.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #10 - 06/19/11 at 18:37:05

The exhaust is very easy to take off as long as you have a basic set of wrenches. Best way to separate the muffler from the pipe IMO is to take the whole exhaust system off then do the squeeze and wiggle method mentioned above. I used a little liquid wrench and had a second person help pull to separate them This should also help prevent damaging the gasket.

As for the backfire pops, that's totally normal with a stock bike. It's not detrimental in any way and is caused from running lean, its just that the bike isn't tuned as good as it could be. From what I've heard it's tough to completely eliminate backfire on the stock setup, some claim they have, others say they can get it down to a slight 'sputtering' sound. I've pretty much eliminated the back fire on mine, I added a Dyna Muffler, re jetted, and did a slight adjustment to the idle mixture screw. My bike still has that slight sputter and feel when deacceling, but it sounds healthy and normal, I would imagine it's just our big 650 single cylinder engine letting us know it's a Thumper and not a V-Twin.  Cool

As for the leaks described above, they are speaking about an exhaust leak. This means somewhere in your exhaust system exhaust fumes are leaking out at some place other than the end of the muffler. This will cause popping and back firing as well. You can generally find these by feeling around where the exhaust goes into the head of the engine or at the exhaust joint where it joins the muffler. If you feel puffs of air coming out, you have a leak. I believe there is also a 'candle method' that is more precise than the hand method. Make sure you don't burn yourself and good luck!

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #11 - 06/19/11 at 20:47:01

Serowbot wrote on 06/19/11 at 15:11:13:
Ahhh,.. it's not always that hard...  Try disconnecting it before you loosen the pipe,... (wiggle n' twist n' pull, wiggle n' twist n' pull,... Cha' Cha' music helps...)

PS... Cumon' Howie!,... you know what hammers are for... Wink...

The hammer is fo' imposing your will and laying down the law.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:21:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing the exhaust - easy or hard?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.