Looky what I found,, (Read 148 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Looky what I found,,
06/19/11 at 07:20:26

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motoroil.html

OOokay,, Im lookin to get down to Savin $$$ & time on oil changes,, apparently cheap filters are a bad plan..

As with oil, many filter manufacturers provide data regarding their filters. Unfortunately, often the way that data is presented is VERY misleading and often VERY lacking in substance. For instance, many filter manufacturers will make statements such as, "Our premium line of oil filters are rated at 10 microns" or "Our filters will remove particles as small as 8 microns".

Neither of these statements mean ANYTHING at all. Filters are not "rated" for certain micron levels, they ARE tested for filtration efficiency related to certain micron sized particles. In other words, it can be said that a filter offers 97.3% efficiency at removing 15 micron particles on a single pass. But, saying that the filter will remove particles as small as 15 microns is meaningless, since no efficiency data has been supplied. Chicken wire can remove particles as small as 15 microns as well - it just won't be very efficient at it.

Theres a free Ebook link at the bottom of the page.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: Looky what I found,,
Reply #1 - 06/19/11 at 07:40:26

Okay,, some O you Guru types can have a go at this part..

ow, I know this is going to be tough to understand, but, let's give it a shot. First, the fact that this test was conducted at all, suggests that there ARE various and wide ranging filtration efficiencies available on the market. Second, according to this study, moving from a 40 micron filter to a 15 micron filter reduced engine wear by 70%!

POP QUIZ: How much longer will your engine last if you can reduce engine WEAR by 70%? It's actually NOT what you probably think. It's not 70%. Consider this. If you cut engine wear in HALF (50%), it makes sense that engine life should be DOUBLED. Thus, cutting engine wear by 70% (considerably more than 50%) will actually FAR MORE THAN DOUBLE your engine's useful lifespan.

The added cost? Believe it or not, the difference in price between a standard 30 or 40 micron paper media oil filter and a premium synthetic media 15 micron filter is only about $10 per filter (maybe even less in many instances). Now, on the surface, if you didn't know how much engine wear you could save by upgrading your filter, that might seem like a HUGE increase.

But, consider this. First, some of these higher efficiency oil filters are actually designed for longer change intervals (as much as 4 or 5 times as long - easily making up for the additional filter cost). But, even if they weren't. Even if you changed them every 3,000 - 6,000 miles like a cheaper conventional filter, over the life of your vehicle, the additional filter cost would amount to (AT THE ABSOLUTE MOST) about $500 over 150,000 miles.

That's peanuts compared to the savings in engine wear and the increased engine longevity. We already said that you could easily save between $2,500 and $4,000 PER YEAR by doubling your vehicle's useful life. Over 10 years that's a savings of $25 - $40,000 for a simple $500 expenditure in filter upgrades.

Sound reasonable? at all?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/19/11 at 07:46:28

Great info if you're worried about your car.
but as far as our little savage is concerned... where are you going to get a 10 micron filter?
and what's going to do to the oil flow rate?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/19/11 at 08:07:44

Exactly what I was thinking...
If you're getting more filtration from the same size filter, it stands to reason that this filter will clog up sooner... as it's capturing more stuff...
Run with a clogged filter, and you might as well run with no oil at all...
So if you run with a more efficient filter it seems like you need to change it more often.  

Super small particles will cause less wear than larger ones, so there must be a point of diminishing returns on filtration...
You want a filter that will capture particles of a size that will cause wear, but not clog itself up with smaller ones that don't, thereby allowing maximum oil circulation...

(I said, "thereby",... how cool is that?)...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/19/11 at 08:16:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/19/11 at 07:20:26:
Theres a free Ebook link at the bottom of the page.

Where's the free ebook link?

only found the one that's $17

or do mean the link was free?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/19/11 at 08:34:39

Serowbot thats why you should change filters every time.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/19/11 at 08:39:08

Ehhh,,, Sorry,, I Thot the book was a freebie,, but its just a lot of stuff to make ya Want the book thats free..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/19/11 at 08:54:20

bill67 wrote on 06/19/11 at 08:34:39:
Serowbot thats why you should change filters every time.

Probably right, Bill..
It's just that I'm so lazy, and that's the yukky part of the oil change... if I didn't do an alternating fluid change, I'd probably still go the same interval on the filter...
I'd just spend 2,500 miles saying,...
"I really should do an oil change, soon"... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 06/19/11 at 18:54:19

I realize that a lot of the dirt in oil comes from combustion, but the air filter is often overlooked in these discussions. I don't have a guess as to which contributes the most to dirty oil, but the air filter shouldn't be forgotten; especially with some of the open filters some of us run. And Serowbot or Justin mentioned the other day that just because oil is black doesn't mean it's not lubricating.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #9 - 06/19/11 at 21:41:48

I change the filter more then the oil.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 04:57:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Looky what I found,,

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.