Gas reserve (Read 122 times)
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Gas reserve
06/16/11 at 16:20:48

Sorry if this question was answered but how many gallons is the reserve tank? The suzuki website doesn't acknowledge it. It says the tank is 2.8 gallons but no mention of the reserve.

And while I 'm on the topic of dumb questions. Do I have to put the bike in reserve when filling it with gas or is the reserve filled by some "gravity thingy" in the tank?

Thanks everyone!

KC Smiley

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Re: Gas reserve
Reply #1 - 06/16/11 at 16:23:13

there is only one tank, the reserve mention is a lower pickup by the petcock.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #2 - 06/16/11 at 16:33:26

So it's just the crap at the bottom of the tank that the fuel line can't get to?

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/16/11 at 16:43:14

Yup,..  Probably 30 or 40 miles worth...
That's how most bikes are...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 06/16/11 at 16:44:11

The petcock has two inlets, one shorter than the other. The regular ON setting closes off the short inlet and you get gas through the tall inlet. When the fuel level gets lower than the tall inlet, you flip to RES and the gas flows through the short inlet.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
dekuji63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/16/11 at 19:03:59

Since I've just been a victim of fuel-fooling, I guess I better 'fess up and share what I've learned the hard way, at least with an '09 S40.  Expect to have to flip to reserve at about 60-70 miles traveled.  Even though it LOOKS like there's a lot of fuel in the tank, it's really steep and the frame beam in the middle means your upper "on" petcock is not going to be able to reach most of what you have left.  At least that's how it works on mine.

I'll pass on sharing how I learned this lesson... Embarrassed Shocked but that's how my bike behaves.  Or misbehaves.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 06/16/11 at 19:07:25

Tank is 2.8 Gallons--Reserve is .6 Gallons. Oil without filter change is 1.9 Quarts. Oil with filter change is 2.5 Quarts. These figures are from the owner's manual. On the oil some just pour in two quarts and some put more. If your engine runs out of gas just move petcock handle towards the front and look for a station in about 30+ miles. When gassing up remember to put petcock handle downward again. If not the next time you run out you will be ALL out. Prime is an "all on all time" setting with the petcock handle pointed toward the rear. It will also run you completely dry with no reserve. This is elementary and not meant to go into problems with the petcock or clogged tank screens.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #7 - 06/16/11 at 20:19:56

Thanks Boofer. I have to read my m.o.m. again.

Deku, I fueled up today. I usually get gas around 100-110 miles. I filled it with 1.9 Gallons of gas. Still plenty for at least another 30 miles.

IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #8 - 06/17/11 at 07:41:13

Sounds like mine to, when I have 100 on my bike computer/trip meter its time to get gas, reserve hits at about 110 miles.

Darren

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas reserve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.