Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need opinions on a couple mods (Read 397 times)
lg_fry
YaBB Newbies

York, PA
Need opinions on a couple mods
06/15/11 at 10:28:20

I bought my '07 s40 about two months ago and overall I love it. But I find that I'm driving my car less and less and listening to music less and less as a result.
So I figured why not install a pair of speakers. I found the pyle plmca30's on amazon and based on the reviews they sound like a decent deal for the price. As most of the driving I do is off-highway I don't need anything that'll blast my ears off. anyone have any experience with these or any speakers on a savage/s40? The one thing that worried me was the question of mounting them on the handlebars considering the brake fluid box's position on the handlebars. probably nothing to worry about but still. here they are:
http://www.amazon.com/PLMCA30-Motorcycle-Amplified-Handlebar-Speakers/dp/B001...
and the only other complaint I have is the volume of the exhaust. I've been lurking on these forums a while and have pretty well decided on the Emgo  17" Reverse Cone Muffler. This way I don't have to worry about it hitting the brake lever or anything. Now I have heard the chrome on emgo pieces is low quality, so a couple questions:
anyone put the reverse cones on? how do you like them? Is it worth painting them high temp black (and should i sand/blast it down or anything first?)?
here's the muffler page:
http://crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiiUEjO8znY

thanks in advance.

2007 Boulevard S40, Saddleman bags, Emgo Reverse Cone Muffler

55 mpg at last fill-up
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Re: Need opinions on a couple mods
Reply #1 - 06/15/11 at 10:42:04

I have an EMGO pipe on my bike. I had mine professionally ceramic coated black. Cost be about $100, but they sandblasted the chrome off, prepped, and coated with ceramic coating. You could probably get it done in high temperature powder coating for about $30 less if you wanted. I think mine looks very cool in matte black.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 06/15/11 at 10:48:29

Since the exhaust will be loud, why not just go with ear phones and an MP3 player?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 06/15/11 at 10:49:07

Couple things.  Your Amazon link doesn't work for me.  But I searched Amazon myself for PLMCA30 and found this... see if my link works, and if this is the right one.  http://www.amazon.com/PLMCA30-Motorcycle-Amplified-Handlebar-Speakers/dp/B001...
This shows an "Item Under Review" warning and not currenly offered by Amazon, but it could be as simple as a packing problem.

Anyway...  I remember reading that these bikes have trouble with much more load on the battery, so hopefully someone will chime in on that subject.

Personally, I have a Scala Rider headset that my husband and I use when we ride at the same time, to communicate with each other, but it also has FM radio and an mp3 port.  It runs on its own rechargeable battery, so no draw on the bike.  It ran dead on me the other day and it just wasn't the same without my tunes!  So you might consider something of that nature too.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
lg_fry
YaBB Newbies

York, PA
Reply #4 - 06/15/11 at 11:01:11

@sbaugz
but how do you like the sound of the exhaust?

@motobuddha
I don't want the exhaust to deafen children 10 miles away, I'll mess with the baffle if I have to, I just don't want it to go putt-putt-putt since I live in York, PA right near a HD factory so naturally there are a lot of HD's around.

@babyhog
then i guess i'll have to do more looking into the battery because i thought there were legality issues attached to having headphones in both ears while driving...
and you did find the correct amazon link. don't know why mine was broken.

55 mpg at last fill-up
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/15/11 at 11:22:44

If you're getting an emco, you'll be listening to the thumper serenade.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/15/11 at 13:16:47

Riding IS music,, dont pollute it with noise.. pay attention to what youre doing, live longer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #7 - 06/15/11 at 13:51:55

+1

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 06/15/11 at 14:22:26

unique cycle sounds

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
lg_fry
YaBB Newbies

York, PA
Reply #9 - 06/15/11 at 15:29:46

@justin_o_guy2
how is starting a playlist on my mp3 player and adjusting volume before i even put the bike in gear going to decrease my lifespan? i mean, come on, we all ride here and we've all been cut off by 16 year old girls cause they were messing with their radio.

the load on the battery is my bigger concern because i haven't been stranded by a dead one yet and i don't intend to.

but back to the exhaust, pretty sure i have access to a sandblaster for free, but is powder coating really worth it? i mean i've seen a couple bike parts that were coated and they look nice, but i can take my time with high temp spray paint. is it more scratch-resistant, etc?

tl,dr: forget the speakers for now, advantages of powder coating vs. high temp spray paint?

55 mpg at last fill-up
  IP Logged
KristenAnn

Crashing Sucks!!

Westfield, Mass
Reply #10 - 06/15/11 at 15:41:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/15/11 at 13:16:47:
Riding IS music,, dont pollute it with noise.. pay attention to what youre doing, live longer.

I agree totally

kfink@aol.com kfink@aol.com   IP Logged
lg_fry
YaBB Newbies

York, PA
Reply #11 - 06/15/11 at 15:50:32

@kristenann
lg_fry wrote on 06/15/11 at 15:29:46:
how is starting a playlist on my mp3 player and adjusting volume before i even put the bike in gear going to decrease my lifespan? i mean, come on, we all ride here and we've all been cut off by 16 year old girls cause they were messing with their radio.

55 mpg at last fill-up
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 06/15/11 at 16:10:13

I personally don't like to listen to other people's music or really loud pipes. It would be easier and maybe cheaper to get an mp3 player and some ear buds. I don't listen while riding, but the Philips player is $40 with $15 for some good Sony ear buds. I listen to music nearly every night with mine. And no you can't paint straight chrome as for as I know Must be roughed up and primed. If you want loud buy a $30 Cherry Bomb from Maremont, 1 3/4" inlet, and paint till your heart's content.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #13 - 06/15/11 at 16:39:12

Ok I guess I am in the minority here but I listen to my MP3 player while on my bike. I have a half helmet and the ear buds keep the bugs from getting in my ears. Yes, I have a problem with bugs getting into the little space of my helmet strap and then not being able to get out. It is very aggravating to try riding with a bug buzzing around in your ear and praying that it doesn't sting you while it's in there. It is completely due to the design of my helmet as my husband also has a half helmet and he rarely gets any bugs in his. I have never had an issue with hearing traffic or anything. I can hear the sounds of my bike just fine (my Jardine exhaust is very loud  Smiley).I still get a lot of wind noise even with the ear buds. I don't have the volume at deafening just loud enough to hear it and not block out the rest of the sounds.

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
webhead

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer, NOW!
InMemof Boody

Somewhere in NY
Reply #14 - 06/15/11 at 18:10:46

Z wrote on 06/15/11 at 16:39:12:
Ok I guess I am in the minority here but I listen to my MP3 player while on my bike. I have a half helmet and the ear buds keep the bugs from getting in my ears. Yes, I have a problem with bugs getting into the little space of my helmet strap and then not being able to get out. It is very aggravating to try riding with a bug buzzing around in your ear and praying that it doesn't sting you while it's in there. It is completely due to the design of my helmet as my husband also has a half helmet and he rarely gets any bugs in his. I have never had an issue with hearing traffic or anything. I can hear the sounds of my bike just fine (my Jardine exhaust is very loud  Smiley).I still get a lot of wind noise even with the ear buds. I don't have the volume at deafening just loud enough to hear it and not block out the rest of the sounds.

I agree with Z. I have the same exhaust and I have a parrot SK4000 connected to my iPhone. Which is mounted on my handlebars. The parrot comes with a wireless remote that mounts to the handlebars. You can switch to music, radio and the phone from the remote and I can hear it fine over the Jardine. Which is very loud. Roll Eyes

I was thinking about the radio mounted on the handlebars too but I didn't want to mess with the electrical and take up more real-estate on the handlebars. Plus I don't want to annoy people with my music. Fair is fair.

2011 S40 Pearl Mirage White/Met. Veil Silver. Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Tourmaster Saddlebags & Toolbag, Jardine Exhaust, TKAT Forkbrace, OEM Engine Guard, Kuryakyn grips, Parrot SK4000 & ARKON SM032
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 11:48:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need opinions on a couple mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.