Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Start of a bad day. Wont Start (Read 214 times)
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Re: Start of a bad day. Wont Start
Reply #15 - 06/15/11 at 16:40:55

Arnold wrote on 06/15/11 at 15:02:28:
Well, got home, tried to start the bike normally and guess what? Started right up, runs fine and started up again. Who knows??? Humidity? Flooded? Electrical short?....

Maybe your bike is just not a morning "person"  Grin

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #16 - 06/15/11 at 17:02:49

Time heals all things Smiley

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #17 - 06/15/11 at 20:36:13

It's dem dam gremlins at it again!   Grin

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/15/11 at 21:42:41

Well, got home, tried to start the bike normally and guess what? Started right up, runs fine and started up again. Who knows??? Humidity? Flooded? Electrical short?....

Id lean toward flooded..
I know if I twist the grip on mine,, Its over..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #19 - 06/16/11 at 05:18:01

Took it to work this morning, no problem. I'll never know what happened. I turned the petcock off this time though.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #20 - 06/16/11 at 05:59:01

I love it when things heal themselves.  Sometimes it works for me, but then I wonder what happened and and paranoid for awhile. But I am alwaya glad when it happens.  Even a blind sow finds an acorn once in a while. Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #21 - 06/16/11 at 06:14:47

I know right, I took it to work and I'll be freaking out all day until I know it starts tonight Smiley

IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/16/11 at 06:49:34

Im no expert on bikes but I have had the same type of scenario with many vehicles

I'm gonna say one or a combination of 2-----

1 Dampness had an effect on SOMETHING electrical

2 You flooded it

or combo, dampness caused the problem THEN you flooded it trying to start.

Unless a vehicle needs the throttle thrown to it by nature to start (not good on anything) or its cold.......I rarely try to start anything by giving it throttle.   I have some old cold natured atv's, honda 3 wheeler and honda 4 wheeler.
I hit the start button for a couple of sec's with no choke, then close the choke up and crank till she fires.

Throwing fuel in rarely helps, IF you did that.  Also, a puff of smoke (sometimes vaporized fuel) thru the air filter tells me she might have had too much fuel in it.  

Make a notation of damp weather on your calendar of it.   see if you have the problem next time its wet.  Sometimes it is hard to see a dampness/electrical problem, I have seen many a hairline crack in something cause terrible starting issues.   BTW, the roll start will help with electrical issue diagnosis, provided you haven't flooded.

Good luck and God bless you,

Farmer

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #23 - 06/16/11 at 07:47:28

The only difference between the morning where it didnt start and the evening when it started was I turned the petcock OFF all day. I never give it gas to start it and it never needs the choke when it's above 40f out. I did have some weird electric problem with this bike in the past though. One relay fried and I've had it once or twice where you turn the key and nothing happens, no light nothing. I must have a crappy connection somewhere.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 06/16/11 at 08:03:21

Any day the bike won't start and take me to work is a good day   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/16/11 at 08:06:15

Hmmm........

Bad petcock possibly?

Don't have a solid answer for testing one of these, as I have never looked at mine.
Leave it on all night the next time you DON'T have to ride to work in the am, and before you leave see if the bike fires up, or floods.
Guess the petcock COULD be dumping too much fuel...but wouldn't you experience a totally different running experience thru the operation?
I DON'T think it would have been battery related, as it did have enough juice to fire it that evening, right?  Riding far enough to work to charge it?  And still have enough juice to "fire right up" that afternoon?  could be possible, but unlikey.   When a battery starts to go, it will go down after a night or two. Check your date on the battery.
Leave it set for a couple nights with petcock on.  Try to start a couple mornings later when dry (if possible).   That might be enough evidence for me to say--Battery is probably ok, petcock probably not a problem.
If it rides good for a week or so after that, and no rain---then wait until dry day again, start it up.  After it cools, put your garden hose on MIST and spray the bike down well.   See if you have any problems starting then.
So many things it coulda been.....
Ignition switch might have an issue
Petcock
Moisture
Electrical system (lots right there)
Water in fuel
Trash in carb
Compression fluke
You get the idea.   I'd just start making good notes of what you have tested to your satisfaction, so you can kinda rule that out.
You know, basic mechanical stuff that we all forget when faced with a problem on our OWN bike.  Wink
Remember, fuel-air-fire-compression
Fire and compression are the hardest to test for, IMO.

Hate working on those ole' diesel farm tractors.......ugh.

Good luck and be blessed,

Farmer

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #26 - 06/16/11 at 08:40:27

Yea, looks like the battery recouped enough charge during the day, fired right up and got a puzzled look on my face. I'm glad it's not compression issue for sure. Keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:21:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Start of a bad day. Wont Start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.