Send Topic Print
HD Muffler question (Read 237 times)
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Re: HD Muffler question
Reply #15 - 06/19/11 at 06:16:23

So I might have to rejet once the HD muffler is on, but if I wrap the exhaust too its a sure bet I'll need to, right?
So, how do I know what to go up to n wheres a good place to find em?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #16 - 06/19/11 at 07:30:22

SoE wrote on 06/19/11 at 06:16:23:
So I might have to rejet once the HD muffler is on, but if I wrap the exhaust too its a sure bet I'll need to, right?
So, how do I know what to go up to n wheres a good place to find em?

No thats not right ! Rejet only if it needs it. If it runs good,.......no surging etc etc it may be fine. Maybe do a plug read after a WOT run.
if its white hot, it needs a richer main jet.
Use the choke as a tester,.......if it runs better out 1 notch, then it needs an adjust in whatever range it has a lean problem.
If you work it hard in hot weather, big chances it should have a larger main jet. But don't change anything else if it runs good.
Remember that altitude runs richer also.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #17 - 06/19/11 at 09:29:23

Routy wrote on 06/19/11 at 06:12:25:
Rejet requires taking the bowl off the carb,.....no kidding now ! Roll Eyes

I found that to be a relatively easy job,.....only because I went into it w/ the thought in mind....that the screws are going to be very tight,....that if I let the flips driver slip once, I'm done....finished !!

To guarantee that the driver doesn't slip, (mine did not) requires mechanical (not human) upward pressure on the driver while cracking them loose.

I used the bit out of my reversable screwdriver which had a hex midway that I could put a 7/16 wrench on. Then using a 3/4 x 3/4 stick about 5 1/2" long (nice to have a table saw) for a vertical shim, I was able to use a prybar to get the upward pressure on the end of the driver bit, needed to crack each one loose.

Like I said, if you let the driver slip once, you will be R&Ring the carb.

Routy, sounds like you were very thorough in making sure your's wouldn't slip!

I just opened mine up to rejet for the first time and knowing how hard all these screws are supposed to be I was worried about slipping too. My first concern was when I went to drain the bowl, that screw was so darned tight I just knew I was going to slip, but luckily the screwdriver I was using held & I was able to loosen it. Then I was pleasantly surprised when I went to take the bowl off, mine came out relatively more easily than expected. (Replaced them all with allen head bolts thanks to Motobudda just to be sure next time)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:28:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HD Muffler question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.