Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion? (Read 577 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion?
Reply #30 - 06/15/11 at 05:16:54

Bill, got anything to add to this?

.... like mebbe tell us why you are still paying $12 a quart for the red stuff after it has been debunked as being no better than the $5 a quart stuff that comes in the blue gallon jugs?

========================

Verslagen, consider this when putting your oil cooler in place.   You only get less than 50% of the total oil flow through the cooler using the stock connection locations.   You can change that to any percentage up to 100% by fiddling with the size of the side cover gasket hole that the side gallery goes through to get to the filter area in the side cover.   Block that hole off completely and you force ALL the oil to detour around through the oil cooler.   And don't forget your check valves so you can still check your oil level using the little view window .....

The head is the most temp sensitive area of the engine and the passages to get there are internal to the jug and the head.  Oil reaching the head cam bearing gets warmed up to engine head temperatures no matter how cool it is in the sump.  

Keeping oil sump temps over 212 deg is a good thing, keeps water combustion vapors from condensing in the sump.

Your oil of choice is good to over 500 degrees, temps our engines never even approach on a bad day.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #31 - 06/15/11 at 05:26:54

Suzuki didn't put and oil cooler on the S40 because they just assumed everyone would be using oil make for motorcycles.The S40 needs and oil cooler like it needs a hole in the piston.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #32 - 06/15/11 at 09:22:54

Oldfeller - So weight matters most and changing oil brands often is a problem. So once I pick a brand and a weight, I need to stcik with it. Brand isn't my concern, but how do I pick the right weight? You said 20W50 runs hot? Should I just stick with the recommended 10W40? I live in beautiful Orange County, Ca so extreme weather isn't really a factor.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 06/15/11 at 12:56:38

Cal,

We are jest revisiting the last 2-3 oil wars so some of these comments are jest us fielding the hot potato just lobbed at us.

Truth is ANY good oil is OK, you certainly don't need to be popping $12 a quart for Klotz.  

The Rotdino and Rotsyn referred to as the oil war "winner" is Rotella T Triple Protection which you can buy at WalMart for $12 a gallon.

Rotella T Triple Protection is a dino based oil that many here on the list use for all seasons -- it is a 15w40 oil.   Read the white jug's label carefully and you will see it carries both of the current JASO ratings for motorcycle use (it is a recognized motorcycle oil).  

It is sold in big gallon jugs for over the road 16 wheelers and in that packaging it is dirt cheap to buy it at Wal Mart.   It is the most commonly used oil for the Savage.

If you want a fancy full synthetic oil (which the Savage really does not require) you can buy Rotella Synthetic in the big blue gallon jugs for $21 a gallon at Wal Mart (or $5.25 a quart) which is less than half the cost of the Klotz that beat out in the oil testing).

Jest ignore Bill, he loves to provoke us all by tell newbies to go buy his red koolaid knowing full well he'll get a response of some kind.

Avoid car oils with the energy star symbol on them -- they contain friction modifiers that will screw up your wet clutch.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #34 - 06/16/11 at 10:57:38

OldFeller, thanks for ther great info, I've seen the oil war pop up all over in different threads but never read the final result in any of those. And with it popping up so often it was hard to find in the search. I appreciate you spelling it out for me.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #35 - 06/16/11 at 19:16:29

I ran 10w40 Castrol Acteveo for about 3500 miles until a friend told me to switch to Rotella T 15w40 from WalMart. Since they race Kawa amd Ktm dirt bikes I took the plunge. Another 3500 miles. I live in N Mississippi and have had no oiling problems that I know of. Bill runs Klotz and apparently gets a share of their sales.  Grin Grin Kidding aside, it is a good oil, too. Pick your poison. That's all I got.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
dekuji63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 06/16/11 at 19:38:03

Since I'm sitting in 100º weather and my first big service including oil change is coming up, will the Rot 15w40 still play nicely with that kind of ambient temperature?  

I'm not terribly concerned about color but if I can get some to match my bike, that would be sweet!  Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #37 - 06/16/11 at 20:21:05

Rot is made for high compression diesel engines,So you want get blow by  in diesel engines because of the high compression,In a low compression engine like the S40's you will get blow by,So if your bike is black that ok because that is the same color your oil will be shortly.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #38 - 06/16/11 at 23:04:12

The only problem I've ever had with oil, was with Pep boys house brand... It was on sale at a giveaway price, and I had a 20 year old Datsun truck with 160k miles...
The valves sounded like a box of rocks... I dumped it after 50 miles...
Other than that,.. any name brand oil, not labeled "gas saver"...  is good enough for this bike...
The important thing is to remember to change it...
As far as weight,... at least 10 on the low number if it gets cold where you are,... and at least 40 on the high side if it gets hot...
10w40 works great... 20w50 too, if you not crazy enough to ride below freezing...

There,... that ought to trigger an oil war... Grin...

PS... I used 10w40 Valvoline and Pennzoil car dino for the first 20k miles on my bike,... and it worked fine ('cause I bought it on sale by bulk)...
Now that I'm all out of stock,... I use Rotella dino,... 'cause I've heard good things from fellow bikers and it was confirmed here...
Workin' fine too...
The important thing is to change it, regular... like any other oil... I do 2500 to 3000 miles... and alternate filter changes... 'cause I'm lazy...
Laaazzzzyyy!!!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 06/17/11 at 00:43:15

Bill is speaking in Billish to the newbies again, so let me translate for you.

=============

Rotella T was developed for 20:1 compression ratio big diesel engines that have piston side loads and bearing con rod loads that FAR FAR exceed our 10:1 Savage engine's requirements.  

Diesel engines commonly get their oil changed at 50,000+ mile intervals and Rotella T has been tested and used at 80,000 to 100,000 mile oil change intervals.  

The Savage needs to be oil changed every 2,500 to 5,000 miles because our oil filtration system really isn't all that good compared to what is on a big diesel truck.  Neither is our air filtration, which is how all that silica gets into the oil in the first place.

White jug Rotella T dino oil is all the stock Savage requires.  It costs $12 a gallon at WalMart.  Most of the moddy boys do use a synthetic oil like Rotella T-6 Synthetic (blue jug) simply to get the very high 500+ temperature overheating protection and extra film strength these synthetic oils provide.  Savage engines generally stay under 350 degrees in the hottest part of the head and can use normal oils just fine.  But some of us have hot cams and big pistons and other mods that make us want the extra bit of protection that Rotsyn and other full synthetic oils provide.

Bill hates Rotella products for a reason, for every dubious advertising claim that his $12.00 a quart Klotz red stuff makes Rotella products have independent data from places like Bobistheoilguy.com or from the major diesel engine makers or from the major long distance bike websites saying Rotella products do the same job or better at half or less than the cost of Klotz.  
All his favorite BS talking points keep getting shot down in flames ....

Bill likes to call Verslagen a liar periodically (because Verslagen actually tested his red koolaid in the same Savage engine head to head with Rotsyn, Mobil 1 and Amisol and published the data) and Bill keeps saying that Klotz is real motorcycle oil (implying incorrectly that Rotella isn't).  

His favorite claim is that Klotz is "zero wear oil" a claim that was started out by Mobil 1 in the mid 70's and follow on by Amisol, testing that was based on 100,000 mile gas engine tests that is nowhere near rigorous enough for normal diesel engine testing.  100,000 miles on a test rig isn't near the life of a diesel engine heck a diesel truck can get that much dumped on them in only one month's time.   Real diesel engine tests go a million plus miles and more and guess which oil leads the pack on those long term diesel wear tests .....

Rotsyn, my favorite

Grin

"We don't have diesel motorcycles"   This is true.   Proof that even a blind pig occasionally finds an acorn of truth in all the trash he roots through.  

Bill generally loses his oil wars but he never never never gives up.

« Last Edit: 06/17/11 at 08:05:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #40 - 06/17/11 at 03:37:09

Diesel engines normally run around 2500 rpm or less,If you don't run over 2500 rpm Rot in the blue and white containers might be Ok ( might be OK),Cars run around 2500 rpm,Few motorcycles run low rpm going down the road,That why motorcycle oils are different they are made to with stand 10,000 12000 rpm.Verys was using Rot oil before he did his so called test,There was know way he wasn't going to say it was the best.He said it was the best before his test.Oldfellow your biggest reason to use Rot oil has always been its cheap.Save pennies today and spend dollars tomorrow.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 06/17/11 at 07:35:57

Diesel cars turn a reasonable RPM range -- same range as the Savage.

Rotella got its motorcycle rep running in all sorts of motorcycles that rev a lot more than the Savage does.  Hondas and Yamahas and Suzuki in-line fours rev right on up there with the best of them.

We max out at 6,500 rpm in a stock Savage, although I have tested Rotsyn at higher rpms than that in mine and can verify it does jest fine.   Here is what my last top end tear down looked like.

Verslagen had Mobil 1 in his crankcase before he began the testing.
He did Rotsyn second and reported that it was "as good as" then when everybody wanted numbers he started bought temperature gauging and started collecting accurate numbers and reporting them.  Klotz was the third oil tested, Amisol was the fourth oil tested.  He reported the data we all asked him to collect, and you were there with your requests as well.  

As a matter of fact I don't think Verslagen or Charon were Rotella fans when this all started out.

Cheap?  Is that do you call an award winning world class product that comes in great big jugs (takes 5 gallon jugs to change out a 16 wheeler tractor) that comes without any expensive graphics or marketing cost burdens on top of it?

There is nothing cheap about Rotella T or Rotsyn.  Too many top of class awards for you to be saying that.

Now if you are saying I am "cheap" because I buy really great oil for less than half of what you pay for Klotz, well then you 1) pay too much for your oil and 2) have just insulted over half the list with your comments.

Are you guys all "cheap" or are you just smarter than the average Billium bear?

Now, do I admit being cheap?  Yep, and proud of it.  It is a survival trait that does me good duty in these economic times.

================

Economic Survival quiz:

Which would you do?   Justify your answer in writing.

Buy 2 quarts of Klotz for $12.99 each (plus $8.00 shipping of course) and change your oil once for a total of around $30.00

or

Buy one gallon of Rotella T next time you go by the Wal Mart for $11.99 and change your oil for a third the cost and have enough left over to change it again later for free?

or

Loving the extra protection a synthetic provides, buy a blue gallon jug of Rotella T6 Synthetic for $21.99 and be able to change your oil twice?

« Last Edit: 06/17/11 at 08:46:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #42 - 06/17/11 at 08:23:02

Charon also said 10% gas is better than 100% pure gas do you agree with him.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 06/17/11 at 08:45:47

Don't change the subject jest because you are starting to lose again -- Charon isn't here to defend himself and gasoline choices don't have a thing to do with yer motor oil.

Charon was at least honest enough to say he changed his mind in weight of the evidence ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #44 - 06/17/11 at 08:51:38

bill67 wrote on 06/17/11 at 08:23:02:
Charon also said 10% gas is better than 100% pure gas do you agree with him.

If he was talking about cabbage, I do...

I don't know about the need for an oil cooler, but... I do wish our exhaust wasn't routed so close to the engine case...
Has anybody considered testing the effects of adding a heat shield or header wrap in that area, on oil temp?...

It could result in an easy mod...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:22:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.