Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion? (Read 577 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion?
Reply #15 - 06/14/11 at 11:03:22

Serowbot wrote on 06/14/11 at 10:46:27:
Oil color is not an indication of age or lubricity of the oil, or a dirty engine...  
The black doesn't come from dirty deposits in the engine, it comes from blowback of carbon past the rings...  
Some brands of oil will absorb this color faster than others, but that doesn't mean they lube any better... the carbons still there, whether it colors the oil or not, and it's fine enough that it doesn't really hurt anything...

Change the oil at regular intervals, (I do it at 2500 to 3000 miles) regardless of color...

+1 with Klotz you get a better ring to cylinder seal which prevents blow by and gives more horsepower and better gas mileage.My red oil doesn't get black.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #16 - 06/14/11 at 11:07:01

bill67 wrote on 06/14/11 at 11:03:22:
Oil color is not an indication of age or lubricity of the oil, or a dirty engine...  
The black doesn't come from dirty deposits in the engine, it comes from blowback of carbon past the rings...  
Some brands of oil will absorb this color faster than others, but that doesn't mean they lube any better... the carbons still there, whether it colors the oil or not, and it's fine enough that it doesn't really hurt anything...

Change the oil at regular intervals, (I do it at 2500 to 3000 miles) regardless of color...

+1 with Klotz you get a better ring to cylinder seal which prevents blow by and gives more horsepower and better gas mileage.My red oil doesn't get black.

ok, what kind of klotz? there's a lot!
http://www.klotzlube.com/products.asp?cat=4

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 06/14/11 at 11:15:24

What year is your bike and how many miles do you have on it?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 06/14/11 at 12:03:23

2006 2 1/2 blocks.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 06/14/11 at 12:21:07

bill67 wrote on 06/14/11 at 12:03:23:
2006 2 1/2 blocks.

No bill, not the pedal car you ride to the mailbox.

The boulevarde, the S40, big assed single cylinder.
You know, the one you take out when your pretty neighbor is washing her car and you creak and groan bending over to check the oil.

Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 06/14/11 at 12:27:32

Back to the original question...I noticed when I changed my exhaust that there was an exhaust leak at the header to muffler joint which blew all sorts of exhaust black soot on the oil window. In my case it just took a good scrubbing/wipedown of the area to clear things up nicely.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #21 - 06/14/11 at 12:40:36

EJID wrote on 06/14/11 at 12:27:32:
Back to the original question...I noticed when I changed my exhaust that there was an exhaust leak at the header to muffler joint which blew all sorts of exhaust black soot on the oil window. In my case it just took a good scrubbing/wipedown of the area to clear things up nicely.

That's what I was thinking when I read the post.  Wipe the glass and see what happens.  But I didn't want to be a smart aleck.  Honest! Roll Eyes

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 06/14/11 at 17:34:37

CalisOsin,

Bill's claims for Klotz have been the fuel for several oil wars, one of the last of which was a direct Savage engine comparison test between Klotz and Mobil 1 and Rotella Syn.

None of Bill's magical claims for Klotz panned out -- the red stuff turned black and had the same (or slightly worse) oil consumption.

What we did learn was weight of oil seems to matter a lot, more so than brand as a matter of fact.

20w50 weight oil runs hot as the higher viscosity wastes engine power just stirring it around.  The heavy stuff can't suck heat out of your head as fast as lighter oils do, nor can it dump it out through the cases as fast.

Your point about very old engines "blowing by" a lot causing oil to get black is valid.    I think we were talking about sucking up dirt from abused engines which is something Rotella will do that others (Mobil 1 and Klotz) are not so much good at.

Bill's punishment for losing the last oil war was to promise to NEVER make unsubstantiated claims for Klotz oil to a newbie ever again.

Bill, what data do you have to back up your claims, or are they more unsubstantiated nonsense all over again?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #23 - 06/14/11 at 18:21:06

2006 2 1/2 blocks.

Bill, you're getting close to oil change time Cool

FSO
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 06/14/11 at 19:09:53

CalisOsin wrote on 06/14/11 at 11:07:01:

ok, what kind of klotz? there's a lot!
http://www.klotzlube.com/products.asp?cat=4

The MX4 zero wear

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 06/14/11 at 19:12:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/14/11 at 17:34:37:
CalisOsin,

Bill's claims for Klotz have been the fuel for several oil wars, one of the last of which was a direct Savage engine comparison test between Klotz and Mobil 1 and Rotella Syn.

None of Bill's magical claims for Klotz panned out -- the red stuff turned black and had the same (or slightly worse) oil consumption.

What we did learn was weight of oil seems to matter a lot, more so than brand as a matter of fact.

20w50 weight oil runs hot as the higher viscosity wastes engine power just stirring it around.  The heavy stuff can't suck heat out of your head as fast as lighter oils do, nor can it dump it out through the cases as fast.

Your point about very old engines "blowing by" a lot causing oil to get black is valid.    I think we were talking about sucking up dirt from abused engines which is something Rotella will do that others (Mobil 1 and Klotz) are not so much good at.

Bill's punishment for losing the last oil war was to promise to NEVER make unsubstantiated claims for Klotz oil to a newbie ever again.

Bill, what data do you have to back up your claims, or are they more unsubstantiated nonsense all over again?

Oldfellow you know none of Verys claims worked out I told you at the time the errors he was making that didn't make sense,You must have forgot.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 06/14/11 at 19:13:41

photojoe FSO wrote on 06/14/11 at 18:21:06:
2006 2 1/2 blocks.

Bill, you're getting close to oil change time Cool

Just a block away.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 06/14/11 at 20:06:08

To throw 1 more log on the bill bond fire...

I have 2 savages with about 45k miles each,
both have used rotsyn mostly
both have used Mobil1 20w50 for 1 month in the summer
1 has used klotz and amsoil for about 5 weeks in the summer

guess which one needed rings after?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 06/14/11 at 21:00:55

I'll bite

the rest of you are jest too durn chicken

I bet the engine that got the oil switched around the most is the one that crapped out.

Why?  Engines get used to one oil's film characteristics, then they want to act funny until they get used to the next oil's film characteristics.   Example, my clutches always acted wonky during a change over until the second oil change of the new stuff.

Next, a question -- which oil will you use after you finish your break in?

All of it rolls into that one question -- you are the one who did the oil comparisons, you lived with it, you learned from it.  Some of it isn't technical, it is gut interpretations of things you see as you go along.

Which oil goes into the new big bored out hot cammed engine as the oil of choice to protect your investment in money and time?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 06/14/11 at 21:37:43

rotdino is in there now, next is rotsyn.

and when summer comes... I'll get around to the oil cooler project.

I put the oil pressure gage in for the 1st week.  and until it warmed up, idle produced 50 psi.  then it dropped to 5ish.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:24:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.