Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion? (Read 577 times)
logcabinmatt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion?
06/13/11 at 11:11:18

My Oil window is very dark, hard to tell if it is full or just covered with a dirty black oil? I just changed oil like 1000 miles ago? Any suggestions? Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1 - 06/13/11 at 11:20:56

How many qts did you put in?

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 06/13/11 at 14:22:01

Take a pic of it with the bike standing vertical, lets have a look.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/13/11 at 14:31:54

How many miles on the bike? If its all skanky in 1,000 miles, maybe you need to change oil again , cuz the PO may notta took great care of that.

&. just for the record,, what kinda oil you runnin in it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 06/13/11 at 16:32:56

JOG, my Rotella gets black in about 10 minutes and I really mean ten minutes, no kidding. Changed the daughter's ATV oil and didn't notice oil plug washer had fallen in the pan. She rode a big circle in the pasture. When I waved her back and "rechanged" the oil she commented that it was black mighty quick.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/13/11 at 17:09:24

Boofer wrote on 06/13/11 at 16:32:56:
JOG, my Rotella gets black in about 10 minutes and I really mean ten minutes, no kidding. Changed the daughter's ATV oil and didn't notice oil plug washer had fallen in the pan. She rode a big circle in the pasture. When I waved her back and "rechanged" the oil she commented that it was black mighty quick.

You need to put some Sea Foam in your oil to clean up the engine.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 06/13/11 at 17:13:42

I use Seafoam in my gas, but it seems like the Rotella does a good job of scrubbing the engine. The PO of my bike had molasses in the crankcase. 7,000 miles so far, no problems. And my daughter's TRX 300 Honda was well used by twin 12 yr olds. Oil was low when I bought it. And nasty. It's ok now with regular maintanence.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/13/11 at 20:11:31

Th PO did it wrong,,,

Mine has 20.000 on it & t uns a good ways b4 th oil looks nasty,, IIRC been a long time since I rode,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/14/11 at 10:12:27

<It's ok now with regular maintanence.>

Please speak proper Billish now whenever you talk to Bill -- Seafoam is a word he understands, "regular maintenance" is another one of them foreign language terms to him.

To Bill, oil should be red, not black.   Remember, he wants you to put Seafoam into both your oil and your gasoline.  

Try asking him "Why?" and it will only confuse and distress him.

Stop trying to confuse him, especially with data or facts.

===========================

For example, don't do this to him -- this would be cruel and unusual punishment for nice ol' Bill.

Fact, if you put a strong detergent package oil into a dirty engine, the new oil quickly picks up the pre-existing crap from every nook and cranny and suspends and holds it (that is if your oil is good enough to do this).  

It will get black in a hurry if it is doing its job properly.

And as Boofer and JOG are trying to tell him (using them funny foreign sounding terms again) if you use a good oil regularly you can KEEP a nice clean engine.   Once the engine is clean the new oil stays clean a nice long time, but eventually it turns black anyway as you make some nasty stuff simply by running your engine.

The red stuff turns black too, if you would actually run it for a few thousand miles.   But that would require you to actually ride your bike that much.

Grin   Grin   Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 06/14/11 at 10:24:04

If you do preventive  maintenance that all you need. KLOTZ  SEA FOAM.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 06/14/11 at 10:37:37

One of the stupid things Suzuki did on this bike was put the oil level window behind the exhaust. Another was to make it so you don't get a correct level when the bike is on the side stand (cince there's no center stand).

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/14/11 at 10:43:22

So, if you use KLOTZ and SEAFOAM it prevents you  (Bill)  from having to do maintenance?

I get it -- prevent "it" ive maintenance

But how often do you have to change your SEAFOAM ??    

We know the KLOTZ is immortal, you've already explained that part -- but how about the SEAFOAM?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/14/11 at 10:46:27

Oil color is not an indication of age or lubricity of the oil, or a dirty engine...  
The black doesn't come from dirty deposits in the engine, it comes from blowback of carbon past the rings...  
Some brands of oil will absorb this color faster than others, but that doesn't mean they lube any better... the carbons still there, whether it colors the oil or not, and it's fine enough that it doesn't really hurt anything...

Change the oil at regular intervals, (I do it at 2500 to 3000 miles) regardless of color...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #13 - 06/14/11 at 10:53:34

Serowbot wrote on 06/14/11 at 10:46:27:
Oil color is not an indication of age or lubricity of the oil, or a dirty engine...  
The black doesn't come from dirty deposits in the engine, it comes from blowback of carbon past the rings...  
Some brands of oil will absorb this color faster than others, but that doesn't mean they lube any better...

Change the oil at regular intervals, (I do it at 2500 to 3000 miles) regardless of color...

If that's the case, should a person with consistently black oil check their rings? seems like my oil was pretty black each time I changed it before it suddenly lost compression and died.... seems the 2 were linked huh? well the shop just adjusted the valves, but i'm guessing when they pressure test they'll find out they need to do the rings too... darn.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 06/14/11 at 11:00:03

If you're concerned,... do a compression check,... but, if your performance is good, and you don't burn much oil, I wouldn't worry...
... or swap to a different brand of oil...  
Some brands may have a different detergent blend that breaks down the carbon and absorbs the color more quickly than others...  
The question is,... is that a good thing or a bad thing... or does it make any difference at all?...
Lubricity tests by oil experts seem to indicate that it doesn't....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:20:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Oil Change time..Oil Window confusion?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.