Need Help!! (Read 468 times)
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Need Help!!
06/12/11 at 21:24:28

Ok so, I'm new here and would like to say hello first. I read alot on this site before purchasing my bike and I'm hoping someone might be able to help. I apologize for the long post, might as well explain it all.

I bought a 1987 LS650 with 13k miles for $600. Needs a back tire, turn signal and a peg as the kickstand doesn't stay down on its own and the guy who sold it to me dropped it in his driveway. I felt I got a great deal, the bike is beautiful. Seat needs redone but all the chrome is in nice shape as well as the paint. It's painted a dark blue and has skulls with a full house poker hand on both sides of the tank (Aces and 8s) and lighter blue pinstriping. Even though it was dropped, I can't tell any damage aside from a busted signal lens and a broken peg.

My younger brother is a mechanic and has worked on many bikes but usually dirtbikes. We went through the carb and cleaned it, checked all the jets and he said it looked surprisingly good and the gas in the tank was still good. The previous owner claimed it needed carbs cleaned or a new fuel line because it, "just didn't run right."

We replaced all the little hoses just to be safe. New battery, oil change, the usual stuff. Our first day of fun was hell because the bike would start right up and idle great but didn't seem to wanna rev at all. I told him about the spacer I read about on this forum and we tried multiple adjustments and nothing seemed to change...the bike ran the same.

Today we realized that the carb had been put together wrong when we first got it, and we were putting back together as we found it. Once my brother put it together right she would fire right up, idle great and rev up! YES!.....no...don't get exicted because for the next 4 hours my brother and I tried original spacer, 1 washer, 2 washers, 3 washers etc and no matter what we did, she bogs in the midrange under load.

Once the carb was setup right, we noticed the difference with different spacers but on every try the bike took off pretty well but would bog in the midrange or you'd have to very gradually give it gas to gain speed.

Also, I've read nothing but backfire, backfire, backfire about these bikes yet mine does not! ON ANY SETTING! The most we noticed was a tiny lil "PUH" on shutdown. Why? The original plug was white, the bike obviously ran lean but it doesn't suffer from the backfire at all.

After lots of trying today we got it running and idling great, and take off is "decent", the bike is even rideable but it's not "right". We think maybe because of our elevation some of the usual stuff doesn't apply? I live in Boise, Id and we're at 2700-3000ft. No matter how lean we ran it, it didn't backfire. It doesn't smoke or smell funny at all. Sitting still the bike sounds like shes ready to rock but soon as you take off its fighting to take the throttle.

My brother thinks rejetting might help. We think perhaps someone owned this bike somewhere else, brought it to Idaho or sold it to someone and its never been right since due to the change in elevation.

Also we noticed today that some oil was on the jug fins, we wiped it clean and ran it down the road and back and a little more had shown up. Looks like the valve cover is leaking a bit and my brother also said a valve job would probably be a great idea anyway. After looking closely at the leak, we found small boogers of orange "hi-temp" and my brother shook his head and said someone was definately into it already. We did notice a tap the very first time we started it, but never heard it since.

Oh, and we checked the petcock, all is well. So, any idea? Does this just sound like a bike that needs rejetted because of the elevation or does this sound like something else? Do you have to remove the engine to change the valve cover gasket? Doesn't look like much room between the valve cover and the frame.

I've read about carb changes and my brother thinks this vacuum stuff is a bit unnecessary and thinks I'd be better off with a more simple carb thats easier to adjust like that of a dirtbike.

I'd just take the thing to a shop but I really don't know of any here that I could trust, not to mention I bought the bike because of the low maintenance appeal and simplicity. We seem close but maybe we're missing something. Thanks in advance for any help!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Need Help!!
Reply #1 - 06/12/11 at 21:48:55

Hey magic welcome

Yes I think you need a rejet, but the idle jet is just fine maybe rich.  Leave it till we figure out the main jet.  what is it?  for an '87 a 155 would be stock.  there's a number stamped on the head.  Check the link below.  look at carb spec's for the setup of the carb.

the kickstand is pretty touchy, but sounds like yours is bent or something.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/12/11 at 21:52:53

PPics of sidestand mite help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #3 - 06/12/11 at 22:07:01

I'd post pics but I was under the impression I couldn't yet?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/12/11 at 22:19:27

check the link below for how to post pics

WWW   IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #5 - 06/12/11 at 22:28:27

I'll have to check the jet tomorrow. I live in the mountains 23 miles away but leave the bike at his place til we work out the bugs. If it's stock, would be want to go up or down in size?

Also, the small oil leak is coming from between the top 2 fins it seems. Is this suppose to have a gasket? I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere.

I'd like to add that even though I've only ridden this bike a few times, and it hasnt run right yet, I love it already. It's my 3rd bike, first being a '94 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit and the other being a '79 Kawasaki KZ750.

Didn't care for the Kawasaki, but man that Bandit was an absolute blast to ride. I just had a tendancy to go too fast without realizing it. This Savage is...well sexy and for me comfortable (5'11 200lbs).  

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #6 - 06/12/11 at 22:35:24

Only pic I have at the moment. I can take more tomorrow of the kickstand or anything else.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/12/11 at 22:36:39

There's a plug that's under the cover that notorious for leaking.
most shops don't apply rtv to it and after awhile it leaks.

the head cover goes on with rtv only.

WWW   IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #8 - 06/12/11 at 22:50:10

thanks for your help.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #9 - 06/13/11 at 03:18:43

This will clear up that little oil leak...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295
When I picked up my plug, it was like $15 at the dealer.
As for the carb/bogging down, I'm no "expert", but I'd agree with verslagen1 as far as checking the main jet and going from there.
Nice looking bike, I'd say you got a steal!

delucaja   IP Logged
VAFarmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/13/11 at 05:11:43

Very nice score, Majick.

I am also new, and didn't get as good of a deal as you did, but mine HAS been pretty much trouble free.

I hadn't been on a bike in years......but my hour commute and this 3.50 gas has me back on one.
Are you liking the power on it so far?   I am exacty your build 5'11 and float between 190 and 2.  

When I bought it, I thought it might be a little underpowered, but got to open it up this weekend.   My bike seems to like the top end .

Good luck and God bless,

Farmer

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #11 - 06/13/11 at 13:57:19

VAFarmer wrote on 06/13/11 at 05:11:43:
Very nice score, Majick.

I am also new, and didn't get as good of a deal as you did, but mine HAS been pretty much trouble free.

I hadn't been on a bike in years......but my hour commute and this 3.50 gas has me back on one.
Are you liking the power on it so far?   I am exacty your build 5'11 and float between 190 and 2.  

When I bought it, I thought it might be a little underpowered, but got to open it up this weekend.   My bike seems to like the top end .

Good luck and God bless,

Farmer

Thanks! Yeah, the guy was asking $1000 on craigs. I noticed his ad was a few weeks old and gave him a call. I didn't even make an offer and the guy said I could come get it for $600. The guy had money...beautiful house and 2 Honda trail 110s that had less than 400 miles and were all original in showroom condition. He said he bought the bike for $600 from his friend, just wanted to break even on the deal. I was happy to oblige him.

Unfortunately, I've only gotten to ride it about 5 times, each time being a couple blocks and not leaving 2nd gear. It feels like it has loads of power just waiting to come out but this carb issue is holding her back. I have chirped the tire a couple times and she doesn't even run right yet.

With the small amount I've ridden it, I find it very comfortable. I think the power will be more than adequate. I live Idaho, and summer time is camping and cruising. Lots of windy mountain roads with 60mph speed limits and no traffic (maybe a deer or elk though!). I can't wait for it to get running correctly because I have no intention of selling her anytime soon. I think me and my girl are gonna take good care of her and see her through many many of miles.

When I first saw the bike, first thing I thought was "shame...its too small". I was bummed but decided to go check it out in person anyway. I had recently tried out a Yamaha Maxim XS400 and even though it appeared small, it fit me decently.

The Savage fits me pretty darn well. My legs are in a comfortable position without being too bent or too straight and my reach for the handlebars was a bit too close but we fixed that with an adjustment.

I should point out my younger brother is 6ft and about 165lbs. and during all this he's ridden it much more than I. He has a 1981 Yamaha Virago 750 bobber and we actually put the bikes side by side to compare. His bike seemed bulkier but overall was very similar with the Savage having a more "american" rake to the front.

His Virago is a hardtail, sits real low with drag bars. He first said I should dump my pullback bars but now that he's been riding it alot and working on it, he said to me, "I don't know man...everytime I ride this bike I like it more and more. It's more comfortable than my Virago by far, I'm really starting to dig this bike." I looked at him and said, "No, it's NOT for sale."

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/13/11 at 14:09:36

MagickNinja wrote on 06/13/11 at 13:57:19:
" I looked at him and said, "No, it's NOT for sale."

Stick to yer guns boy, he'll horn in on your riding time.

Just fixed up another savage for my brother to ride too.
He couldn't beleave the torque for such a little bike.

WWW   IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #13 - 06/13/11 at 14:10:09

jdeluca wrote on 06/13/11 at 03:18:43:
This will clear up that little oil leak...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295
When I picked up my plug, it was like $15 at the dealer.
As for the carb/bogging down, I'm no "expert", but I'd agree with verslagen1 as far as checking the main jet and going from there.
Nice looking bike, I'd say you got a steal!

Thanks! Yeah I thought it was nice too. It's not decals eithers, it's all hand painted. Needs a touch up here n there but it's nice.

I dunno, I've been reading alot and I find it funny that my brother keeps telling me to ditch that carb and go with something like the VM. Seems like a hassle though, I don't have $300 to buy some premade Kit. Anyone know how to get a custom cable? I can get a VM brand new for $75.

I think we need to tear it apart again. We must've missed something and talking to my older brother (also a mechanic) he thinks we should just rebuild it...looked around for a rebuilt kit and didn't find one. You'd think with the popularity and fact that they still make these bikes this would be easy to find.

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #14 - 06/13/11 at 19:18:12

For the hell of it, pull that carb back off, disassemble it, and boil it in a 75%/25% water/lemon juice mix for like 10 minutes (metal parts only, no rubber) and then rinsing it with some WD-40.  The carb itself isn't a bad carb, just has some ridiculously small passaged (Right Serowbot?)
Lancer would definitely be able to set you on the right path as far as a VM carb and new cables...

delucaja   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:52:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need Help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.