Send Topic Print
Need Help!! (Read 468 times)
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Re: Need Help!!
Reply #15 - 06/14/11 at 06:24:34

jdeluca wrote on 06/13/11 at 19:18:12:
For the hell of it, pull that carb back off, disassemble it, and boil it in a 75%/25% water/lemon juice mix for like 10 minutes (metal parts only, no rubber) and then rinsing it with some WD-40.  The carb itself isn't a bad carb, just has some ridiculously small passaged (Right Serowbot?)
Lancer would definitely be able to set you on the right path as far as a VM carb and new cables...

Does that really work?

I need to clean my carb BAD! and replace a damaged jet or two  Huh Opps

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #16 - 06/17/11 at 13:59:52

verslagen1 wrote on 06/13/11 at 14:09:36:
MagickNinja wrote on 06/13/11 at 13:57:19:
" I looked at him and said, "No, it's NOT for sale."

Stick to yer guns boy, he'll horn in on your riding time.

Just fixed up another savage for my brother to ride too.
He couldn't beleave the torque for such a little bike.

lol I will! I see him eyeballin' it all the time now. He's even made comments that since he's the mechanic he should get to take her out on her first major ride...I laughed.

He said the same thing! When I first showed him the bike he was skeptical to say the least. He had just worked on my bass players (I'm in a band) old 70s Honda XR500 and was thinking I wouldn't be getting much more out of this Savage than that enduro. But after riding it a couple times he's since blown that idea out of the water and thinks this Savage is a beast.

To be honest, ever since I got this bike on such a great steal he's been kinda bummed about his bike. It just doesn't have the same appeal it use to when he looks at it and then looks at mine. I feel for him...but he ain't gettin' my Savage!

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #17 - 06/17/11 at 14:00:36

papi_ocho wrote on 06/14/11 at 06:24:34:
jdeluca wrote on 06/13/11 at 19:18:12:
For the hell of it, pull that carb back off, disassemble it, and boil it in a 75%/25% water/lemon juice mix for like 10 minutes (metal parts only, no rubber) and then rinsing it with some WD-40.  The carb itself isn't a bad carb, just has some ridiculously small passaged (Right Serowbot?)
Lancer would definitely be able to set you on the right path as far as a VM carb and new cables...

Does that really work?

I need to clean my carb BAD! and replace a damaged jet or two  Huh Opps

actually yes, boiling carbs with water/lemon juice is considered one of the best ways to clean carbs yourself.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #18 - 06/17/11 at 14:46:42

I'm going to boil my carb today. I also noticed in the jetting guide it recommends running a 155 main with the cone filter and a HD muffler. I believe my bike already has the 155 stock ('86 and '87). I already ordered a cone filter and just noticed a rail mount dyna muffler for $60 after shipping on ebay. But I may look around locally to see what harley shops have stuff to buy and how cheap.

If my logic is correct, by putting on the HD muffler and new filter, I should NOT have to rejet because I'm already at the recommended 155 main correct? Remember I'm at 2700-3000ft elevation.

There is a shop here called Cyclone Cycles, it's an hour drive for me to go see him but I keep hearing he's the best and cheapest around. He's also the only shop around with an EGA and can tell me exactly what jets and mixture I need. Its only $50 to do this so once the bike runs right I think I will.

Thanks for all your help!

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #19 - 06/18/11 at 13:21:16

The bike still refuses to run correctly.

We totally disassembled the carb, took all the jets out and checked everything. Everything is clean, like very clean. The main is a 155 and the pilot is a 47.5. We tried a different pilot jet that had bleeder holes and you could tell the bike was running richer but still did the same thing...Now I'm wondering if it's the carb at all.

Just to explain again, the bike acts as if it has a rev-limiter. When sitting at idle it sounds great. When revving it at a stand still you can tell it should be revving faster but it still revs. Then when you take off and hit the gas, after about 2/4 throttle it doesn't go anymore, it just stays. Sounds like a rev limiter. It doesn't want to take the throttle. Only takes gas gradually. I do not know how my elevation (2700ft) affects things.

The general consensus around here seems to be the bike isn't getting enough fuel...but this makes no sense to me as the bike doesn't backfire. If the bike was running lean...why am I not showing the extremely well documented and known problem of these bikes backfiring. At this point, I'd LOVE to hear a backfire because at least it'd be something different than what I've been hearing. Thus far, only a tiny "Puh" is heard on shutdown.

I've tried running the bike with the filter out and it doesn't seem to make much difference other than it gets louder. I've tried every spacer setting from stock to no spacer and the bike did not change. I think with no spacer we could smell some gas but it acted the same. With 2/4 washers, the bike revved it's highest, but still not like it should and no matter what it doesn't take the throttle on take off. You have to gradually give it gas.

We've checked the petcock, running in Prime or On doesn't seem to make much difference. On Prime the gas comes out of the petcock in a steady stream.

I'm really getting frustrated here. I'm starting to see why I got such a great deal.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 06/18/11 at 14:32:53

Have you looked to see if you can see any sign of a mechanic venturing into the engine Anywhere? Look closely for wrench marks, grease/dirt moved away from a bolt head.

Either way, you need to check your cam timing.
The quickest, easiest way? I wouldnt know offhand,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 06/18/11 at 14:45:00

When you checked the petcock,... did you block off the vacuum tap?... or just turn to prime?...
Do this test...
How to check your petcock,...

... also,... is there a small washer under the main jet?... There should be...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #22 - 06/18/11 at 15:19:44

I've never heard of anyone replacing the slide but considering it's vacuum operated, if there's a leak in the diaphragm or in the top of the carburetor it would cause it not to open properly.  

The slide and diaphragm come as one assembly and it's not cheap so it would be a pretty expensive experiment.  Anywhere between $125 and $145 at the dealer.

You are aware there's a tab on the diaphragm that's supposed to go into a small indentation on top of the carb body.  

I know you've had the slide out several times changing the spacer so you've probably checked the diaphram already but I thought I'd throw this out anyway just in case.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 06/18/11 at 16:09:17

I wish w had a KNown Good Carb  & a Nown Good petcock we could ship from victim to victim,, so they could prove where the problem is.

Im still huntin a known good tpyist

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #24 - 06/18/11 at 16:21:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/18/11 at 14:32:53:
Have you looked to see if you can see any sign of a mechanic venturing into the engine Anywhere? Look closely for wrench marks, grease/dirt moved away from a bolt head.

Either way, you need to check your cam timing.
The quickest, easiest way? I wouldnt know offhand,,

I noticed a small oil look at the top fin on the gear shift side and my brother noticed orange hitemp after close inspection but from what I understand, these don't have a gasket for this part and is suppose to be assembled this way.

My brother also mentioned possible valve issues but thinks its unlikely due to how well the bike runs otherwise. You'd think she was tip-top how she starts and idles. It even seems to have good take off power but quickly becomes rich or lean and ruins it.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #25 - 06/18/11 at 16:27:08

Serowbot wrote on 06/18/11 at 14:45:00:
When you checked the petcock,... did you block off the vacuum tap?... or just turn to prime?...
Do this test...
How to check your petcock,...

... also,... is there a small washer under the main jet?... There should be...

If I remember right we just put it on Prime and pulled the hose, it was shootin' a steady stream of gas. Then during test runs we'd try both ON and PRIME and didn't notice a significant difference.

The washer is there like it should be. I'm not thinking we are starving for gas, I'm thinking maybe we are getting too much.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #26 - 06/18/11 at 16:34:46

OE wrote on 06/18/11 at 15:19:44:
I've never heard of anyone replacing the slide but considering it's vacuum operated, if there's a leak in the diaphragm or in the top of the carburetor it would cause it not to open properly.  

The slide and diaphragm come as one assembly and it's not cheap so it would be a pretty expensive experiment.  Anywhere between $125 and $145 at the dealer.

You are aware there's a tab on the diaphragm that's supposed to go into a small indentation on top of the carb body.  

I know you've had the slide out several times changing the spacer so you've probably checked the diaphram already but I thought I'd throw this out anyway just in case.

My brother was aware of the diaphram and the notch in the top since the first time we took it apart. Like I said he's got lots of experience working on single cylinder bikes, just usually dirtbikes. He's no stranger to a carb.

Yeah, I've heard about the ridiculous expenses, which is why I'm looking at a VM. I wish I had a carb that I knew functioned to throw on and just see if it fixed the issue or not. I don't want to spend $135 on a new carb and jets etc. just to find out it didn't fix it.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #27 - 06/18/11 at 16:47:03

is my logic wrong in thinking maybe I'm getting too much gas? If I was running lean I'd expect backfiring. I was talking with my brother about it and he mentioned the only time it backfired was when he put the carb together with the white spacer AND a washer. Then while revving it backfired alot and ran poorly.

Too much gas so I mentioned floats, but its not overflowing or leaking. We thought about the needle jet but it was nice and clean. Could all of this really be caused by a overly rich Main jet?

My main is a 155, which came stock so I don't see how it could be the problem. The jetting chart recommends I run a 147.5 since I'm using a stock muffler and filter, but apparently the bike ran with a 155 from the factory so I'm just lost.

The pipe isn't blue, it's a goldish color. The original plug came out whitish as though it ran lean stock as everyone has mentioned. The exhaust doesn't show any signs of being clogged.

The more we look the more it seems to not be a carb issue or something really simple we're over-looking.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #28 - 06/18/11 at 17:10:56

Do a proper test of the petcock...

Pretty sure that's the problem.  Gas is leaking down the petcock vacuum tap into the intake...

Follow instructions here...How to check your petcock,...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #29 - 06/18/11 at 17:34:14

Serowbot wrote on 06/18/11 at 17:10:56:
Do a proper test of the petcock...

Pretty sure that's the problem.  Gas is leaking down the petcock vacuum tap into the intake...

Follow instructions here...How to check your petcock,...

I told my brother what you said. He's going to suck on the hose and see if gas comes through. I'll let you know what he finds.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:21:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need Help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.