Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Abnormal CAM and rocker arm wear 19,000 miles (Read 75 times)
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Abnormal CAM and rocker arm wear 19,000 miles
06/12/11 at 19:36:42

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I've been reading up on your posts and had to register because I wanted to get more info on my subject. First of all, I purchased a 2001 Savage to build the Ryca CS1. I've completely torn down the bike and found that my rocker arms have been completely worn out along with the cam and center cam journal. I found a similar post about someone else finding the exact issue with their bike, but cannot seem to find it again. Here are my questions:

1. Should I opt to just buy new rockers, have the head and valve cover welded and remachined, and buy a new stock cam?

2. Should I have the cam ground for lift and duration changes like  MotoBuddha?

3. At 19,000 miles, should I even just go with a larger bore and get a new piston with a little more compression?

4. What kind of costs am I looking at? I've already priced a new stock cam and stock rockers at $230+

Might as well port the head while I'm at it too I suppose...

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Abnormal CAM and rocker arm wear 19,000 miles
Reply #1 - 06/12/11 at 19:52:47

Welcome RycaShawn, we look forward to your build Smiley

It sounds like your engine had that problem where it was idled too slow for too long, which tends to let the head run low on oil.  I would think the piston is still good with that few a miles on it, but since you're talking performance parts already, might as well slap a Wiseco or something in there while you have it apart.

As for fixing the damage.. I bet a used head in good shape would be cheaper than having a machine shop weld, machine and re-grind stuff.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Abnormal CAM and rocker arm wear 19,000 miles
Reply #2 - 06/12/11 at 20:02:38

1. A used head will be a lot cheaper, if low or similar mileage, should be good to go.  I'd have the valves and guides gone over by a pro.

2. Up to you.

3. If you're going thru it, yes

4. about $200 used head, buy the head and cover together as a matched set.  Cam I get hard welded and reground. see lancer.

As to cause, not sure.  Could be as Boule say's or something blocked the oil passage.  If the head cover was just rnr'd then possible it was rtv.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:18:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Abnormal CAM and rocker arm wear 19,000 miles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.