Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!! (Read 548 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!!
Reply #30 - 06/13/11 at 09:31:19

Routy wrote on 06/13/11 at 07:04:22:
If the fuel filter is staying full when it dies, the problem is downstream from there,....pointing straight at a "problem in the carburator"

Not necessarily.  Just because the petcock flows enough gas to keep the carb full does not "point straight to a problem with the carburator."  The vacuum line (that the petcock requires) could have a leak in it, causing the bike to run lean to the point of dying out.  A hole in the petcock diaphragm could let gas flow through the vacuum line, causing the bike to run rich to the point of dying out.  A manual petcock eliminates both of these modes of failure as well as the not-flowing-gas problem, and is a worthwhile mod even if it does not cure Z's problem.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #31 - 06/13/11 at 10:08:53

Wow.  Shocked Who'd have thought that my running/not running issues would cause such an uproar. Embarrassed I look at it this way. The fuel filter cost me about $5. The raptor petcock cost me $20. We can install it ourselves. If it solves the problem-GREAT! If it doesn't, then I move onto the next step which will be be spending round about $150+ to have someone tear apart the carb, clean it and put it back together again. God knows when I would get my bike back but I absolutely do NOT have the knowledge to do it and my husband has already said he won't b/c he doesn't know enough. The filter and the raptor petcock aren't going to hurt the bike so it's not like it's wasted money. If the raptor petcock solves the problem then I saved myself $150+ and missed riding time. I am willing to try the baby steps first.

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 06/13/11 at 12:50:41

Z -- Give you a happy thought -- your carb knows how to work just fine most all of the time.

The fact the "die thing" happens at a use point that coincides with a known vac petcock failure mode and the system recovers exactly like a known vac petcock failure mode is happenstance -- until the Raptor replacement makes it go away.

Routy, what carb failure are you thinking about that comes and goes like a fuel starvation?

Bill, are you "volunteering" for yet another war?

==============================

Z, when we all get nice and bored we sometimes dust off old arguments and try to make the last "whatever" war come out differently.

As the innocent that "asked the question" just don't take any of the ordinance usage that follows to heart as we commonly shoot firearms, blast mortars, shoot ground to air missiles, drop bombs and use flamethrowers and machine guns during these little wars.  

Nobody is going to be shooting towards you (unless you happen to stand behind Bill).

===========================

Sacrilegious statement based on person experience:       eeeek !!     Shocked

Running on prime on a vac petcock doesn't always work.   On mine, prime would not instantly refill the filter and the bowl -- I had to pull off the road, cut the ignition off, fiddle between prime and reserve and wait about 3-5 minutes until I got a full filter which at least told me a full bowl was down there at the bottom.   Gas trickled back into the system with the stock vac unit (it jest doesn't work very well when it gets old and sick).   And yes, I had cleaned my filter screens and my cap didn't vapor lock the tank 'cause I'd open it to see if it would help things along any.

With a Raptor, you only see a lack of fuel in the filter when you run low on gas and have to switch to Reserve -- and then it gushes back into the filter in 5-7 seconds to a full bowl and filter.    You don't have to stop the bike, it will recover from the stumble state just that fast.

Bill, are you saying you have never worked on anything you had ever owned and it always ran fine until you went and got another one?
  Well, that's consistent anyway.

NOTE: A second annual petcock war is declared by willing participants

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #33 - 06/13/11 at 12:58:37

Oldfeller, what is up with you?  I am truly HURT!  You weren't nearly as nice to me when I was a newcomer as you have been to Z.  But luckily I learned to luv ya anyway.   Wink

Good luck Z.  These guys will have you running in circles, wondering which way is left and which is right.  But they don't leave too many stones unturned, so a solution is usually found... eventually.  Cool

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 06/13/11 at 13:06:39

Babyhog, you were always nice so I was nice to you

(until we caught you sneakin' around the bushes outside our camp fire up on the Dragon Run taking pictures of what we were up to so as to document all our dubious shenanigans)

Are you coming up this year?

I am still attempting to get off, but not any luck so far.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #35 - 06/13/11 at 13:14:42

Would love to come to Dragon, but I don't have enough vacation time... or money...  but one of these years...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #36 - 06/13/11 at 19:15:06

Quote:
Routy, what carb failure are you thinking about that comes and goes like a fuel starvation?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suspect there is a chunk a junk in the bowl of her carb that is getting in front of a jet, causing it to die. As soon as it dies, the suction stops, letting the chunk float away,.......but,.. only till it happens again. Don't even think that this has not happened to me several times in my many years. Sometimes it happens in the tank, and sometimes it happens in the carb bowl.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 06/13/11 at 20:59:26

Been my luck that chunks of junk that are big enough to block a jet tend to get jammed in there until carb was torn apart and the blockage was forceably removed.

Never saw one come and go on its own -- must be made of cork, huh?

Floats up high on top of the gas, then when the vac petcock gas supply gets low the fuel level drops and then the jet grabs on to the little piece of cork and sucks it down into the jet and the bike dies on you ....

(always on a 4 lane after a bout of full speed running)

Then while you stop and fiddle with the Prime and such,  the vac petcock dribbles in enough gas to fill the bowl up some and the piece of cork jest floats free up on top of the rising gas pool again, freeing up the jet to act normal for a while.

Sounds all nice and reasonable -- to Bill anyway.

Bill, would Seafoam dissolve this little piece of floating cork?

Grin   Grin   Grin

Heck, I betcha when you put the Raptor on the gas tank that little mythical piece of cork jest stays up high on top of the never dropping never low gas pool and it gives you no more trouble ever again.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 06/13/11 at 21:08:46

Bill, a serious question.

Why won't Sea Foam fix a vac petcock diaphragm?  

The Sea Foam is in contact with the diaphragm for the entire time -- why doesn't the magic sparkles fixate the bad/ugly and HEAL it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #39 - 06/14/11 at 07:02:18

Quote:
must be made of cork, huh?
-------------------------------------------------
Actually no,......I believe any thing that floats wouldn't give any problem, because the jets are in the lower part of the carb bowl.

I remember a ring of silicone in a gas tank, (looked like it fell off a drain plug that had silicone put on it) left my daughter stranded on the freeway several times, (never in town) but she always managed to get it going again. It drove me insane,....almost sold the car,.....till I bit it one day and did the only thing there was left to do,.... dropped the tank !
I lived and learned.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 06/14/11 at 07:16:11

Bill, will Seafoam dissolve floating/sinking silicone?

I guess this all assumes Mr. Z didn't drop the bowl to clean out all the crap after putting in the paper filter rig to keep the crap from ever reaching the bowl again.   Mebbe he will stop and tell us so we can refine our assumptions a bit.

Them ugly gol durn ASSumptions, they wind up killing me every durn time.    

Seems like I would learn.      Sad

Jest ask Babyhog ... she's done caught me ASSuming before.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 06/14/11 at 08:45:50

I don't believe so I never tried Sea Foam on cork or silicone,Sea Foam is made to clean metal.If you use a cork bobber for fishing you might get some Sea Foam on it. Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #42 - 06/14/11 at 10:18:44

here is where i got mine - works great installed in less than 20 minutes from drain the tank to running again.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/1-all-products?q=5LP-24500-01-00

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 06/14/11 at 10:56:28

Tell us, what issues did you have and did the Raptor remove them?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:28:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.