Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!! (Read 548 times)
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!!
06/11/11 at 13:11:42

Bike has been running great. No problems at all. Today, on my way home from work, she just died.  Angry No sputtering, no stalling no nothing. Just. Died. It was like I flipped the kill switch or turned the key off.  Angry WTH!!!!!!! I tried starting her back up. Nothing. I double checked the gas. I have plenty-over half a tank. I switched to reserve just to try it. Nothing. I switched it to Prime and tried. After a couple of tries, she FINALLY started.  Shocked I managed to get her home and she died again in the driveway.  AngryThis time she started right back(still in Prime) up but sputtered. I got her in the garage and CRANKED the throttle!! Roared just fine. Shut her off and BANG-the usual pop. WTH could be wrong with her now?!?!? Angry The husband started her up after I came in B!tching about it and (of course) she started right up for him and ran with no problems.  Angry

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Re: Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!!
Reply #1 - 06/11/11 at 15:21:33

Did you check your vaccume line?  Check the connection and look for holes, slits, cracks... anything like that.  If it isn't that than you may need to do a thorough carb cleaning (something might be clogged).  Hope this helps!

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/11/11 at 15:34:54

yep, which to prime, remember to let it sit for a minute and let the bowl fill back up.

1st thing to do when you notice any balkiness is switch to prime.  If it runs ok then switch to reserve.  If it gets balky again, that'll tell you right away whether the vac line needs replacing.

You just added a fuel filter?  Take a peek, look ok?

WWW   IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #3 - 06/11/11 at 16:07:01

I checked the filter when I got on the bike to leave and it was full. I didn't think to check it after she died. I was more concerned with getting going and getting home. I checked it after I got home (and had been running on Prime) and it was full. It is full right now too. It is running fine (at least idling in the garage fine) now as well.  Undecided Maybe it was just a hiccup in the line but wouldn't the filter stop that from happening?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/11/11 at 17:19:28

Grin

hee hee

.... nothing can stop a cancerous pustulent petcock from hassling you, except total vacuum petcock cauterization and a full raptorization of the resulting hole.

Wink

.... and from the sounds of it you are about ready to take your pocket knife out and go to whittling.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/11/11 at 17:37:19

vacuum petcock castration

WHOAAA!!!,, I actually recoiled at the sight of the words,,,, ease Up there, dude,, its much easier on people like me to see Suggestions of removing/replacing a petcock in more mechanical terms, rather than biological terms,,

& of course, no request would be complete ( on the internet) w/o at least an implied threat, so, consider yersef threatened, with whatever you most fear, & in abundant supply,,

Edit to add

GRRRR!

Wheres my skull & crossbones emoticon?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/11/11 at 17:57:13

What, you haven't ever considered doing a quick Lorana Bobbit on a malfunctioning vaccum petcock?

Not even a little bitty lighter fluid special?

Shocked

If not, then jest wait a while until the symptoms get a little worse and you get your butt stalled in traffic on a busy 4 lane street because the little sucker won't give you any gas when you want/need it ....

Then the Capt. Jack Sparrow/Johny Depp/Edward Scissorhand that exists in all of us jest comes a bubbling up to the top and we want to go all psycho clippy clippy on its little irritating butt and then ram it down the mouth of a cannon over a double load of powder and light the bloody fuse ....

KERBOOM !!    

Away with ye, ye miserable piece of excrement, and good riddance to ya !!

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

I understand how she feels, been there and done that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/11/11 at 18:04:14

EAUX! You Brute, you!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #8 - 06/11/11 at 18:16:11

I was on the four lane!  Shocked Thankfully it wasn't busy so I could just about stop to pull off in the only available place (which happens to have a 2 inch high curb  Sad) I am seriously considering ordering a raptor petcock. The husband isn't convinced that it's necessary but his bike isn't the one dying on him!! Angry How hard are they to install? I'm sure if I went out there and started messing around with it, he would have to come "rescue" me from myself. Roll EyesThe only thing I have ever done with the bike is change the oil and filter. He put the fuel filter on and cleaned the petcock.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/11/11 at 18:18:34

Test the petcock,

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/11/11 at 19:08:16

If you take that extra filter off it will probably be ok,You don't need it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 06/11/11 at 20:25:47

heel hit the side stand

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 06/12/11 at 02:06:52

Seriously, if your bike keeps dying on the four lane at full speed and you can see that the clear fuel filter bowl is empty (no gas) that slowly recovers when you stop then you may well have a stiff diaphragm condition on your petcock.  

You could also have a dirty petcock filter, bad vac hose, and a half dozen other vac petcock related things going on that all can combine to give you "the condition".

On the Savage engine we know vac suction goes down a little bit at full speed and a stiff diaphragm (or all the rest of these petcock thingies) will combine with that to occasionally fuel starve you on the full speed runs.

This is just one of many vac petcock illness scenarios -- you can fight them one by one by replacing vac hoses, using clamps etc (which all attempt to coax the petcock to work a little bit better for a short period of time).  

You can keep on struggling along for years and years, rebuilding it and replacing hoses, etc. questioning your jetting and stuff like that.  Aggravating stuff.

Problem is, the diaphragm gets yet stiffer with age and then it finally cracks and starts leaking fuel then you get a whole new host of new contradictory funny acting symptoms to deal with.

Mod boys with high performance engines very quickly learn that the stock petcock CANNOT flow enough gas to feed their high performance engines on full speed runs -- we live in the world were the petcock really shows itself as a very clear troublemaker.

After a while, our Johnny Depp comes out and we stuff the durn thing down the mouth of the cannon and we see how far away the splash comes when we finally send the durn thing off to Davie Jones locker.

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Now, how long will you put up with it until your Lorana comes bubbling up and you go all snicker-snack on it?

A Raptor replacement STOPS ALL THE NONSENSE FOREVER ... it just works, flowing a whole lot of gas when you need it.

jest ask yer hubby if he loves you ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #13 - 06/12/11 at 08:42:48

I think he is considering it now.  Smiley Do you have any links on where to buy them? I have found different ones online but there is a HUGE disparity in prices. From $14 up to $72. What's the difference & what is a good thing to use?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 06/12/11 at 09:41:11

There are several Raptors that can work, but I can vouch for this one (mine).

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/Criteria/5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw=fiche....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.