Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!! (Read 548 times)
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Re: Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!!
Reply #15 - 06/12/11 at 10:10:02

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/12/11 at 09:41:11:
There are several Raptors that can work, but I can vouch for this one (mine).

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/Criteria/5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw=fiche....

Smiley Just ordered one. If it helps my bike, then we will order another for his bike. I'll probably be on to ask a million questions when I try to change it out.

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/12/11 at 10:58:41

Its EEEEEzzeee,,,  get a gas can, pop the fuel line off the carb, point it into the gas can,, I put mine up on a stool, so I dont hafta hold it. Put it on PRIME, & let er run dry,, then take the vac line off, plug it where it goes to the carb. Remove the petcock from the tank, put the Raptor in, hook the fuel line up, PUT the gas BACK in the tank,, turn the Raptor On,,, & Fire that mutha UP...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 06/12/11 at 11:30:19

It is as easy as Justin says it is, pretty much as easy as taking the gas tank off to do it.

Purty durn easy in other words ....

You will need a little rubber nipple cover to go over the hollow spud on the side of the carburetor, but hubby likely has that already (or knows where his favorite auto parts store is).

Now, the question becomes if it is so easy to NOT HAVE THE HASSLES EVER AGAIN why are the rest of youse guys troubleshooting and fixing, troubleshooting and fixing, troubleshooting and fixing .....

...... stubborn, I guess

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 06/12/11 at 11:57:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/12/11 at 11:30:19:
Now, the question becomes if it is so easy to NOT HAVE THE HASSLES EVER AGAIN why are the rest of youse guys troubleshooting and fixing, troubleshooting and fixing, troubleshooting and fixing .....

With a new diaphragm in there, I know it's either the vac line or I forgot to fill it again.  999 times out of 1000 it's time to fill it again.

WWW   IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #19 - 06/12/11 at 13:16:17

Here's a pic of my inline filter-full of gas.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 06/12/11 at 13:35:23

Ah, listen to what the man said .....

(I like that old song, BTW)

He's replaced his diaphragm once already, so he is just having to replace his vac line now periodically.

So, he's still messing with it ....

.... or allowing it to mess with him.

depends on how you look at it I guess

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 06/12/11 at 14:18:07

Still running the stock carb?

big ol' rubber diaphragm in there too.

WWW   IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #22 - 06/12/11 at 15:03:22

verslagen1 wrote on 06/12/11 at 14:18:07:

Ummmm........yes?? I guess???? Undecided I honestly have no idea. It is what it is when we bought it.  We have only switched out the mirrors and added the inline filter. It had the Jardine muffler when we bought it. I know the paint was custom but I don't know if the previous owner did anything else to it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 06/12/11 at 15:49:18

Z wrote on 06/12/11 at 15:03:22:
verslagen1 wrote on 06/12/11 at 14:18:07:

Ummmm........yes?? I guess???? Undecided I honestly have no idea. It is what it is when we bought it.  We have only switched out the mirrors and added the inline filter. It had the Jardine muffler when we bought it. I know the paint was custom but I don't know if the previous owner did anything else to it.

Sorry, was pokin' fun at OF and his fear of diaphragms.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 06/13/11 at 05:35:40

Shoot, I never figured out where to put it.    Balloon man, myself.

Grin

Seriously, if I had to articulate my objections to the stock vac petcock in a more normal rational fashion it would go like this:

Suzuki grabbed a stock part from the Japanese motorcycle industry and used it on the Big Single.   This is the same petcock found elsewhere on Jap bikes of that same development time span ...  They used what was available.

First, the Big Single has a vacuum loss at full speed that I am not sure is reflected by in line fours and v twins.   This vacuum loss makes the stock petcock not work reliably at full speed once it gets some age on it.  The marginal vacuum situation on our bike fuels about half the known petcock issues -- rubber failures account for the rest.

Second, the petcock by itself is a source of variation and failure on the same order of magnitude as the rest of the Savage's  electrical and carburetor system combined.  At least half of the carb/electrical issues reported by newbies turn out to be (or to be aggravated by) vac petcock issues.

Yes, you can fix the petcock -- the repair methods are understood.   But why should you?

If someone had identified a BETTER GRADE of vac petcock that did not have all these line cracking, flapper stiffening, pin hole leaking issues then we would have something else to talk about.

Nobody has, instead we found the Raptor pure mechanical petcock that costs almost exactly the same thing as a vac petcock repair kit.

Now, here is food for further discussion.   We have a lot of Raptors in use now.  We really do, check here for an old poll

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1286789339

Now the vac petcock proponents keep saying somebody is gonna fill their crankcase up with gas by leaving the mechanical petcock on.  So far this hasn't been an issue yet, and indeed the lax among us haven't been turning the petcock off religiously either (got lazy).

Indeed, the vast majority of the rare "gas in the oil" episodes have involved the stock vac petcock and I will not hazard a guess as to which of the several failure modes of the vac petcock was involved in these episodes as a split/cracked diaphragm readily comes to mind but I have no direct knowledge of these episodes to convey so I'd jest be guessin'.

The Raptor mechanical has not shown any failure modes yet, it ages well and simply keeps on delivering gas reliably at all motor speeds.

The vac petcock seems to have an age effect to it that would repeat on a rebuilt unit given equivalent age.   Certainly the vac lines need periodic replacing (some do it every year as a matter of fact).

===============

Grin

Going back to normal mode, I will say that once you reach your Depp or Bobbitt point (depending on your gender) the deep satisfaction you get from bouncing the stock petcock off a brick wall repeatedly (and then shooting it a couple of times and stuffing the fragments down the barrel of a cannon to be fired far far out into the ocean) is very real and quantifiable.

IF YOU ARE SO DURN CERTAIN ABOUT REBUILT VAC PETCOCKS being such a good deal, then do an exchange rebuild service for the same price as a Raptor (give it a 10 year warranty too).    

Heck, shipping the vac petcock both ways for the rebuild service would cost as much as the Raptor does ....

evil  Grin

PS   Carb diaphragm in the top of the carb isn't sitting in liquid gasoline and alcohol and all the fuel additives that are trying to dissolve it all the time, it only gets exposed to engine vapors on the suck side and whatever gas vapors/mists make it up past the slide going against all the venturi driven suction that is telling it to "go the other way".  

So, carb rubber lives in a relatively dry non-dissolving world but yes, given enough time the carb diaphragms fail too.   At $129 each, let's all be thankful the durn things last as long as they do !!!

Grin   .... is this a declared petcock war,  or are we just misbehaving again?

« Last Edit: 06/13/11 at 06:43:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 06/13/11 at 07:04:22

I just don't get it !!

In her very first post, she said that switching to prime DID NOT fix the problem.
To me that leaves the fact that the problem is some where other than the vacuum operated petcock, or the vacuum line going to it.

If the fuel filter is staying full when it dies, the problem is downstream from there,....pointing straight at a "problem in the carburator"

Now you guys talked her into a Raptor, and the hastle of installing it, only to have it still do the same thing,.....I am already feeling for the prolonged frustration she will be having :'(

But then,.....maybe its me that is loosing it Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 06/13/11 at 07:09:48

Routy wrote on 06/13/11 at 07:04:22:
I just don't get it !!

In her very first post, she said that switching to prime DID NOT fix the problem.
To me that leaves the fact that the problem is some where other than the vacuum operated petcock, or the vacuum line going to it.

If the fuel filter is staying full when it dies, the problem is downstream from there,....pointing straight at a "problem in the carburator"

Now you guys talked her into a Raptor, and the hastle of installing it, only to have it still do the same thing,.....I am already feeling for the prolonged frustration she will be having :'(

But then,.....maybe its me that is loosing it Roll Eyes

Wuhhhh?I missed that,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #27 - 06/13/11 at 07:12:09

Personally, I would (and did) get rid of the spring hose clamps. They are ok for vacuum lines, but I much prefer the hose clamps that can be tightened with a screwdriver. Just sayin...

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #28 - 06/13/11 at 07:19:50

bill67 wrote on 06/11/11 at 19:08:16:
If you take that extra filter off it will probably be ok,You don't need it.

Yes, taking that new filter off will fix it Roll Eyes
And right, you have a tank w/ dirt in the bottom, that will go right thru the petcock screen, so you don't need no fine paper filter to take all the dirt out before it hits the carburator !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #29 - 06/13/11 at 08:25:14

In 40 years and a lot of motorcycle the pet thingy never went bad.In motorcycles snowmobile and lot of construction motors, lawn mowers,and I've never added a extra fuel filter.When you mess with the engines that were designed by engineers not back yard grease monkeys you are asking for trouble.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:27:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grrrrrrrr Dang nab it!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.