ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: transmission problem
Reply #30 - 06/10/11 at 05:08:16

OK clever people ....

Splined bushings exist -- somebody figure out what spline we have on our bikes and locate a splined bushing.   Then we can collect worn out pulleys and get somebody to lathe them out and press then tack weld in a new center bushing (made of real steel no less).

Why?  

Have you priced that small pulley lately?

$83 plus shipping !!!

.... and it will wear out again !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #31 - 06/10/11 at 05:22:17

I found a good one on eBay for $40 including shipping.  I will try to salvage the old one for you to tinker with, Oldfeller.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #32 - 06/13/11 at 08:50:20

Here's what I did to get the nut off the shaft:  With pulley and belt in place, I tightened the belt very tight to put binding pressure of the pulley upon the shaft.  Then to keep the rear wheel from turning, I tightened the rear brake cable extremely tight as well.  This immobilized the wheel and the shaft enough that I was able to loosen the nut.

Okay, this is my first time posting pictures.  Sorry they're so huge, but I wanted to show what I found when I got the pulley off the shaft.  The pulley splines are completely gone.  The shaft splines are damaged but I think they will have enough grip left.  

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 06/13/11 at 08:56:00

yukk,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 06/13/11 at 09:02:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/13/11 at 08:56:00:
yukk,,

double yukk!

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #35 - 06/13/11 at 09:33:02

Serenity, there are many options between closed throttle and wide open throttle. You should give them a try.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #36 - 06/13/11 at 10:29:16

Boofer wrote on 06/13/11 at 09:33:02:
Serenity, there are many options between closed throttle and wide open throttle. You should give them a try.  Grin

Grin GrinWell, Boofer, believe it or not, I'm not a "wicker" as Oldfeller calls it.  This was a problem that developed over a LONG period of time.  Started maybe 2005 or 2006 (before I did an engine swap) when I had the "loose pulley nut" problem, tracked it down with help of a mechanic's free advice.  But the pulley had already started to gradually wear some of the splines, and finally the last one musta sheared off a couple weeks ago.  I think I shoulda replaced the pulley when I swapped the engine out.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #37 - 06/13/11 at 10:30:06

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/10/11 at 05:08:16:
OK clever people ....

Splined bushings exist -- somebody figure out what spline we have on our bikes and locate a splined bushing.   Then we can collect worn out pulleys and get somebody to lathe them out and press then tack weld in a new center bushing (made of real steel no less).

Why?  

Have you priced that small pulley lately?

$83 plus shipping !!!

.... and it will wear out again !!

Oldfeller, do you want to tinker with the old pulley?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #38 - 06/13/11 at 11:26:38

Well, I must say I've seen better looking shafts than that...  best of luck to you!   Grin

(sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, what do you do next?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #39 - 06/13/11 at 11:43:55

What oil was you using?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 06/13/11 at 12:25:42

Klotz

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #41 - 06/13/11 at 13:45:14

bill67 wrote on 06/13/11 at 11:43:55:
What oil was you using?

I have been back and forth with oils:  Suzuki brand both dino and synthetic, and also the diesel oil that Oldfeller likes (I forget the name).  I would not classify this as an oil issue however, because it is the external part of the shaft where the front pulley attaches.  It was a wear problem from some time ago.  (See my reply to Boofer above)

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #42 - 06/13/11 at 13:49:01

babyhog wrote on 06/13/11 at 11:26:38:
Well, I must say I've seen better looking shafts than that...  best of luck to you!   Grin

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Babyhog, evidently I didn't offend you with my earlier post, and I'm very glad of that!!  Thanks for having a good sense of humor!  

Seriously, I'm hoping that there is enough of the spline on the shaft to work with a new/used pulley.  If not, I might get the splines built up with a welder, but I really REALLY hope I don't have to do that.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #43 - 06/13/11 at 16:42:17

serenity3743 wrote on 06/13/11 at 13:49:01:
babyhog wrote on 06/13/11 at 11:26:38:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Babyhog, evidently I didn't offend you with my earlier post, and I'm very glad of that!!  Thanks for having a good sense of humor!  

Seriously, I'm hoping that there is enough of the spline on the shaft to work with a new/used pulley.  If not, I might get the splines built up with a welder, but I really REALLY hope I don't have to do that.

That doesn't sound much fun at all.  I hope the new/used one works for you.  I know so little, but it looks pretty serious to me, so I'm sending my best wishes...  Be sure to keep us posted... although, I have avoided saying this... you haven't been around much... that is UNTIL you have a big problem. haha  (Of course you know I'm teasing, right)

And offend me??  HAHA  Tough to do, 'specially since I started it!   Wink  I was glad I didn't offend you!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #44 - 06/13/11 at 16:52:39

serenity3743 wrote on 06/13/11 at 13:45:14:
bill67 wrote on 06/13/11 at 11:43:55:
What oil was you using?

I have been back and forth with oils:  Suzuki brand both dino and synthetic, and also the diesel oil that Oldfeller likes (I forget the name).  I would not classify this as an oil issue however, because it is the external part of the shaft where the front pulley attaches.  It was a wear problem from some time ago.  (See my reply to Boofer above)

I know that had nothing to do with engine oil.I just wanted to wake up Oldfeller. Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:22:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › transmission problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.