Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Helmet modification (Read 191 times)
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Helmet modification
06/06/11 at 03:48:27

I have a couple of helmets. The one I use the most is my half helmet. I also have a full face modular helmet that I would like to use more but it has a problem. It fits fine EXCEPT it has a ridge of stiff padding across the front (where it hits my forehead)and after about 15 minutes of it being on my head it hurts so much from it digging in that I want to cry. :'(I actually was in tears for the one ride we took where I wore it. My daughter had worn it going out and complained the whole time. I thought it couldn't be that bad so I switched her helmets for the ride home. It WAS that bad! It was about an hour ride home and it felt like someone had a crowbar pressed into my forehead Sad It fits fine any other place. I was hoping I could just knock down that ridge a little bit so it was so "pressing"  but I don't know how to go about doing it without completely ruining the integrity of the helmet.Any ideas? We ordered them online last year so there is no was I can return it. It's not too bad for really short ride but for anything longer than 15 minutes-forget it. Undecided

Embarrassed Embarrassed I typed this first thing this morning and missed that I put "helmer" Embarrassed Grin

« Last Edit: 06/06/11 at 13:42:49 by Z »  

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Helmer modification
Reply #1 - 06/06/11 at 04:41:35

A long time ago I had a similar problem. I took a hammer and pounded down the foam in that area. Of course, doing that made the helmet less effective, so it's a bad solution.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/06/11 at 04:54:27

The padding is for comfort and fit, the foam under it is for protection.
Go ahead and trim the padding as needed, or pull it out and replace it with something more comfortable, as long as it still fits snug!
Just don't beat on that foam.  Like Moto said, it makes the helmet less effective.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 06/06/11 at 04:56:17

You can take the padding out and sand down the Styrofoam inside. Don't compress it- sand it, then paint it with a Styrofoam safe paint. Bear in mind that you will not have the same protection as you did.  Removing a little bit of material won't affect it much. A better idea would be to see if you can thin the padding a little. Better yet- get a new one. Go to a dealer and try on a bunch till you get one that is comfortable. wear it around the store while you look at bikes, or jackets or whatever you want, but wear it for at least an hour, if you can. Buying a helmet off the internet is always a crap shoot. webBikeWorld.com does comprehensive reviews of helmets, including what shape head a particular helmet is suited to. It sound to me that you bought a helmet suited to a round head and you have an elongated head. Also bear in mind that your insurance, or the police, if they have cause to inspect it won't like the idea of a modified (decertified) helmet.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 06/06/11 at 05:17:07

Seems someone also mentioned a little heat, like with a blow dryer, can soften the inner foam a little and let you compress it a bit it in the offending area.  I guess it depends on how much space you think you need to make it comfortable.  Maybe try warming it up and just press with your fingers right across the forehead spot.  Again, any extreme modification could make it less effective, but an uncomfortable helmet is impossible.  I believe there were some tips in the "Daily Hot Tip" thread in the Cafe a few months back too....  Good luck, and let us know if you find a solution that works for you.     

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/06/11 at 06:32:29

You can compress the padded foam, dont recommend "packing" the styrofoam. As stated, you can sand the styrofoam to fit your head. Then cover it again with the foam padding. Wouldnt use heat on the styrofoam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frederick, CO
Reply #6 - 06/06/11 at 12:45:23

"including what shape head a particular helmet is suited to."  X2!  I learned quite some time ago that helmets from some manufacturers just aren't shaped for my head.  Try some on and you will quickly zero in on the ones that fit your noggin. Smiley

Terry

IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #7 - 06/06/11 at 13:41:58

Thanks all! I don't need to take off a whole lot, just the edge. I am going to try shaving it off.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Helmet modification
Reply #8 - 06/06/11 at 20:08:42

Plastic surgery?  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 06/06/11 at 20:36:20

Terry is right, I never buy a helmet without trying them on at the dealership.

It is well worth finding one that fits exactly to the shape and size of your head. Even if you pay more for it, it is far better than ordering one by mail.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/06/11 at 21:21:03

Starlifter wrote on 06/06/11 at 20:36:20:
Terry is right, I never buy a helmet without trying them on at the dealership.

It is well worth finding one that fits exactly to the shape and size of your head. Even if you pay more for it, it is far better than ordering one by mail.

& you keep your $$$ in the community & keep your local suppliers of stuff ya need in Bidniss! Yea, you can save $$$ buying online.. for a while, but once the local economy is crushed, youll lose..in the long run, we are better off spending More today & having a healthier local economy tomorrow.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #11 - 06/07/11 at 03:33:37

Keeping $$ in local businesses is great but we don't have ANY that have modular helmets here. Hell, I have to drive 45 minutes to get to the nearest bike shop at all. A regular full face helmet isn't going to fit the same as a modular so it wouldn't do any good to try one of those on. When you live in the middle of the woods, it's great to ride but not so great to shop.

We took the husband's Dremel to it and shaved off about 1/8 inch and 1 1/2 inches high (basically where it hits my forehead). I'm going to use it tomorrow for my ride to work and see how it feels. So far it seems like that little bit was enough.  Smiley

« Last Edit: 06/07/11 at 16:01:44 by Z »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmet modification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.