Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First bike repairs...yes already (Read 141 times)
Byrd0264
YaBB Newbies

Cruisin' ON my
Boulevard

First bike repairs...yes already
06/05/11 at 18:59:39

Hey all!

Okay so I was checking out my bike a little closer today and it would appear the bolt that secures the back of the seat to the fender was tampered with and looks to be busted off....  Undecided

Funny the lil things you miss when your vision is clouded by lust for riding..

Anywho, does anyone know if this is a normal occurence, big deal, about how hard or how expensive it would be to fix it?

I already ordered my windscreen and was looking to order saddlebags (which is how I discovered the broken seat bolt). Do I need to have mounting brackets for saddlebags or can you really just sling 'em under the seat and tie 'em down? Would this seat bolt mess with either method?

I also knew going in to the deal that the fork lock on this bike is missing. Repossession by the dealer that the previous owner bought it from.

I'm not too worried about replacing that atm, but is also something I will be looking to do in the future if it's not too hairy.

I read a recount somewhere of a guy having his fork lock replaced after it was jammed out in an attempted robbery and it seemed to give him a lot more trouble than leaving it alone would have been...

I have to learn all about this "rejetting" you all speak of, but one step at a time eh? Smiley Cheesy

Thanks,
Byrd

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Re: First bike repairs...yes already
Reply #1 - 06/05/11 at 19:08:16

By busted off, do you mean the hex head to the bolt is off?  That seems be a rather tricky problem.  You do need to take the seat off to do most anything on your motorcycle.  For example, taking off seat -> taking off gas tank -> carb work, or air filter, or engine work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/05/11 at 19:08:51

If you can get the bolt out, then not hard.  But to live with out it doesn't seem to be a major issue either.  it's held by 2 bolts on either side.

it's recommended to have the brackets to keep the bags out of the spokes.

and the front fork lock is not very secure anyways.  not too long ago someone replaced theirs.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/05/11 at 19:28:49

Its an allen head drive, either 4 or 4.5 mm IIRC. If the heads gone, drizzle some penetrating oil, just a drop, not enoug tp go running off th fender. Then, Hope you can gt a slot cut in he top of thescrew, then you can get a jewelers screwdriver in it

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 06/06/11 at 08:09:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/05/11 at 19:28:49:
Its an allen head drive, either 4 or 4.5 mm IIRC. If the heads gone, drizzle some penetrating oil, just a drop, not enoug tp go running off th fender. Then, Hope you can gt a slot cut in he top of thescrew, then you can get a jewelers screwdriver in it

After the WD40 and before cutting the slot, give it a few firm taps with a hammer and a piece of wood. This might loosen the threads enough to take it out with vise grips.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Byrd0264
YaBB Newbies

Cruisin' ON my
Boulevard

Reply #5 - 06/06/11 at 18:45:45

It's actually really already loose in the slot, the head looks totally mangled.

The real problem is I think there is a nut on the other side and I looked under the fender and there is a plate that covers that spot and a bunch of wires running to the tail/signal lights....

further suggestions or am I missing something?

Shop said they could get it out easy but would cost me 75 bucks...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/07/11 at 02:38:28

HD and Kawasaki use the same system and are notorious for the nut stripping.

Block the bike up and pull the rear wheel for tool clearance. Push the wiring bundle to the side and have someone turn the bolt head, you may see the nut free spinning. If it is, clamp it with a long hemostat and then unscrew the bolt. From the top, drill through the plate, add new bolt from the bottom, place a self locking nut on it. Then install seat and cap with an acorn nut, knurled lamp nut, etc.

Only raises the seat back an 1/8th of an inch. You'll want more space then that if you install saddlebags anyway.

Busted fork lock? Take an angle grinder to the fitting. Grind it flush or just slightly recessed. Drop the fork assembly out of the way, with the bearings. Back the hole with a piece of heavy copper or brass and rosette weld that sucker. Dress it, bondo it, repaint it. Fork lock is useless to start with. Non-ferrous metal won't stick to weld, will fall right out of the way.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:27:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First bike repairs...yes already

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.