Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First motorcycle purchase - S40? (Read 246 times)
Byrd0264
YaBB Newbies

Cruisin' ON my
Boulevard

First motorcycle purchase - S40?
06/05/11 at 06:03:04

So I took my MSF course with a buddy and passed. I originally purchased a 200cc bike to practice on, but then things got a little more interesting....

My buddy and I want to go on a road trip heading from Northern, IL out West to catch up with our friend who is coming back from his own trip with friends. He's riding back alone, so we thought we'd meet up and keep him company Smiley

So in two-ish weeks we will be setting off on our first journey.

Now to get down to business. Obviously my 200cc does not fit the bill and she's already up for sale. I've found a new bike that I like, but I'm trying not to rush too much just because I need to get a bike and get some saddle time in before we set out. I do really like this one though...

2008 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Silver

Here's a little about me -
Female
About 5'4 140lbs
28" inseam

So I guess my question is - good bike for me? I took it out the other day but only around the neighborhood as I was afraid to take it on big streets without it being mine yet.  I WAS all smiles though and didn't want to bring it back.

My bf is afraid that I will outgrow it quicker than I think, but right now I'm more worried about building confidence on a bike that I can ride, not just manage, before this trip.

My other concern is wind at high speeds. It's my understanding that due to the light weight of the S40, I will get blown about considerably. Am I taking a big risk by taking a bike this size out on the highway/interstate?

I've read here in other threads that people have done it before, but I assume they are mostly guys who may be a bit tougher than myself.

Besides this crazy random trip, the bike will mainly be used for around town and commuting down country highways to work. Any more touring type trips may or may not happen, but they aren't a regular thing yet for my group of friends.

I'm going to go look at it this morning.

I do like the bike, but I do want to make the right decision despite the pressure of the trip coming up and the scarce amount of bikes in my price range around town ( thinning out real quick with this sunny and 80 degree weather stint)

Let me know your thoughts....

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: First motorcycle purchase - S40?
Reply #1 - 06/05/11 at 06:29:08

Welcome to the site.These bikes are a blast.I have a Harley Lowrider,and I love to ride the Savage.Built mine into a bobber.You won't out grow this unless you're thinking of a sportbike.I've ridden mine for three hours at atime on the Interstate at 70/80 mph.Oh yeah,I'm 6'3" and about 270,lol.You being small it really doesn't matter what you ride,if a semi passes you.You're still going to get wind blast.It moves your car,right?Just learn to compensate.ALOT of people that haven't owned/ridden this bike underestimate it!

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Z

Ride Baby Ride!!!

Northwestern PA
Reply #2 - 06/05/11 at 06:38:26

I think it's a good bike. I am also female, 5'7", 150lbs, although I have a 34"inseam. I have a '98 650 Savage. I have been riding it for the 5 years I have been riding. It fits me well, it's not too high, it's not too heavy (I can lift it myself if I drop it which I haven't done in years). I do get blown around a bit when it's really windy and riding behind semi trucks is an adventure  Grin but once you get the knack of handling it in winds, it's pretty easy. I usually like to ride the yellow lines  but in heavy winds I will ride closer to the white to give me a little bit of lead area in case the winds gets me. It's great for cruising around town and for long rides too. My only gripe is that my seat is not that comfy for long rides, but that is probably just my seat and would not necessarily be a problem for you. If you are comfortable with the bike, then go for it. If you aren't comfortable with a bike you aren't going to build confidence riding it. If, down the road, you find you would like a bigger bike you can always sell it and buy a bigger bike. On the other hand if you get a bigger bike now and aren't comfortable with it, you might run into issues handling it.  

Sanity runs from my family!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 06/05/11 at 07:15:38

This bike is perfect for you.  It has enough power to haul your petite little,.... well,.... haul your attractively-sized self around with ease, and yet it is REALLY easy to handle; plus it has such a low sitting height.  

It is not primarily set up to be a highway cruiser, but it does nicely, and with your "profile" it'll keep up 80mph all day.  The motors are truly understressed, so reliability will not be a problem.  

Most would recommend you get a windshield of some sort, because with the sit-up-and-beg riding position, you'll get weary in well less than an hour of trying to hold on to the handlebars at highway speeds.

Yes, you will get blown around some.  We all do.  Deal with it.  Soon you'll learn how to react (mostly just stay away from the bow wave, and try to not react at all -- just keep it stable).

You'll also need some way to carry some stuff, so start checking into tank bags and soft bags for the back.

I'd recommend that you make your decision soon.  Then:
-- Do a complete maintenance on the thing, not just what is due next.  Do the oil, filter, air filter, check the belt, lube the cables, look at the plug, check the battery water level, and any other stuff the manual mentions that I have forgotten here.  On a trip (especially your FIRST trip) you need peace of mind about things mechanical.
-- Do something about a windshield and cargo capacity.
-- Start riding the bike around.  Don't just ride it around on short hops in your neighborhood,.. take it out on the highway for half an hour at a time.  
-- Conversely, go find an empty parking lot and spend more time than you think you need (at least a few sessions) doing things like panic stops, very slow speed maneuvering, and lean-way-over turns at various speeds so you'll know about where the pegs start dragging.  It is important that you know where the handling/braking boundaries are, so you don't need to actively think about what to do when something unplanned happens.  Panic stops with these bikes are a matter of using almost all of the front brake, and maybe a fourth of the rear brake.  

Your statement, "My bf is afraid that I will outgrow it quicker than I think, but right now I'm more worried about building confidence on a bike that I can ride, not just manage, before this trip." is right on target.  
-- Even if you DO outgrow it in a while, what's the big deal?,...  get something else.   I doubt you'll outgrow it anytime soon.  
-- If you do think you've outgrown it at some point in your future, sell it, and then get something bigger, there is at least a 50/50 chance you'll regret what you did and wish you had your Savage back.  
-- Keep in mind,... just because someone else's bike can out accelerate yours, doesn't mean you need to get a bigger bike with more power.  You use (not need) that power maybe one-half of one-percent of the time.  The other 99.5% of the time you have an easy-handling, lightweight, bike that gets great mileage, has very low maintenance, is cheap to insure, looks cute, and is not at all intimidating.

Sorry, I tend to pontificate,... but, in any event, I think you are on the right track, and have a very realistic attitude.  These opinions are based on the good and bad times I have had on bikes since I turned 13 (the legal age for a motorcycle license in Albuquerque in 1960).  28 motorcycles later, I'm glad to see you are taking a conservative approach that will scar you up a lot less than the approach I used.

I hope you get that S40, practice a lot, take your trip, create a wonderful set of memories, and keep us posted here on the forum.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/05/11 at 08:59:25

What your bf should be afraid of is that you'll leave behind up to 50.   Cool

A windshield is a good tip.  Up to about 50 going w/o is fine, but after can be very tiring.  I personally use a flyshield which just big enough to extend the comfort level of 50 to 70.  Yet still get all the air I need in the hot weather.

The savage likes to be looked after by her owner rather than some hired thug.  All of the maintenance procedures are documented here and if you find one lacking, we appreciate your input and questions.

WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 06/05/11 at 09:15:21

Whatever bike you choose, you definetly will need practice
with it. Each bike is a little different.

The S-40 is a great bike. I have an 09 and take it on the
freeway. I have no problem with those speeds.

Wind, yeah it blows even me around some. I slow down and
am getting much better as I ride in it more and more.
Again this is where practice comes in. You will learn what and how
to ride this great lil bike.
Gyrobob gave you some great tips. Use them and you should be
fine for your trip.
Get yourself comfortable with the bike. You will soon fall in love with
it and never regret your decision to buy it.

Myself I may get another bike someday, yet will keep my S-40.

Try and make up your own mind. Your going to be the one riding
it afterall.
Ride your bike your way, ride in your comfort zone, not his or anyone
else's.
Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
You won't find another forum that has all the intelligence and guidance
that this one has. Believe me there are guys and gals here that
have done their own mechanical work on these bikes.
Their is nothing you can't do by yourself or with some help.
Again keep us posted. Have a great day.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/05/11 at 10:11:40

You're a fine fit for the bike...

As far as highways go...
...a Semi will blow any bike around... (when you get blown, don't panic, keep your arms relaxed, and gently correct for it)...
...Interstates are no fun at all...
...80mph winds for hours on end, are no fun either... (it's like sitting in a hurricane)...

Try to take the scenic route as much as you can,.. that's what bikes are good at, anyway...
I love 50 or 60mph... I hate 80mph for more that a minute or two...  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/05/11 at 12:12:52

If you have been only riding a few weeks I sure wouldn't go on a trip.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 06/05/11 at 13:26:00

Bought mine new in Biloxi MS in February 98. The next weekend Lisa and I rode it 2-up to Baton Rouge. It had its first service a month later (maybe) with 1600 miles or so on it. So far it has been in MS, AL, LA, FL, TN, KY, AR and WA.

I'm a Harley/Indian guy at heart but really like my Savage. Same size as my 57 FL Panhead barhopper (1200cc V-twin, rust in piece) and my 250cc Honda dirt tracker. I've owned better bikes (99 Kawi VN800A) and I've had worse (05 VN800B, several HDs, several English bikes from the 60s). The Savage has been kept longer than any of the other close to 100 bikes I've gone through.

You are actually the perfect size for a Savage. I'm not, at 6'2" 230+ stock is a bit cramped.

If you like it, buy it. Better bang for the buck than any other 650 class bike, even better than 750 Shadows or any sub-1400cc Intruder...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 06/05/11 at 14:49:11

Byrd, according to the use you said it will get, the 650 is perfect. Also it is a good choice for your body size. For me a windshield is a must, even like Verslagen said, just to keep the wind off your body. Two more pluses--price and reliability. You didn't give us mileage or the asking price. If you don't like it, it will sell quickly. Be safe.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #10 - 06/05/11 at 17:20:45

If money is a concern you will not find a better value than the savage/s40.    Cool

Did I say its fun to ride?  And easy to handle which makes it fun to ride.  Huh

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
Byrd0264
YaBB Newbies

Cruisin' ON my
Boulevard

Reply #11 - 06/05/11 at 19:04:06

Okay so, BF took a ride on it this morning. He haggles, we get in the car and leave without the bike. He turns to me after pulling away and says "That bike is perfect for you".

My head exploded.

"Then why the hell are we driving away?!"

Long story short, we went back and told him we'd take it. We got it with 1,000 miles for $2,500. Not too shabby, I think...

Windscreen is ordered, got one for about 70 bucks on ebay. Workin' on the saddlebags.

Thanks for all the help so far and I was quick to take y'all up on the offer for help with repairs and such... see you in the next thread!

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/05/11 at 20:47:03

Congrats
I think you got  a good deal.
Welcome to the Savage world

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 06/05/11 at 21:08:32

Congrats on a heckuva deal! Smiley
If I found a deal like that around here, I'd be sorely tempted to get the second bike I don't really need. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/11/11 at 18:48:54

Yeah paid $5200 for my bike new back in 09.  I would say $2500 for only 1k is FANTASTIC!  Great deal, congrats.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:21:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First motorcycle purchase - S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.