Died on the freeway... (Read 69 times)
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Died on the freeway...
06/03/11 at 22:17:07

This last weekend I went 100 miles down to San Diego and on my way home the bike died. There was no sounds to indicate what happened, in fact it felt like it was out of gas, so I switched to reserve. On the side of the road I noticed there was oil coming from the breather hose and I tried to fire it up and it would turn over just fine but wouldn't fire. Oil from the breather hose leaked all over my wiring so i expected something electrical, Ever since I bored it out to fit a 97mm Wiseco I can hear it hit the compression stroke(never did a compression test) but now I don't hear that anymore. So tonight I finally tore into it. I checked to make sure I had spark, pulled the plug and could see it spark when I hit the start button. I bought a compression tester and only got a result of 36 psi and I know it should be 140-210 or something. I didn't put the teaspoon of oil in it yet to see if it is the rings or the valves(I will tomorrow) but the whole thing just seems odd to me. I don't know what my compression was before but it seems odd to me that a compression related issue was cause it to die all of the sudden.

Background on the bike because I know you'll ask: K&N cone air filter, raptor petcock, 12,000 miles on the bike, 2,000 since the bore. BCB straight pipe with whatever baffle they give you, 1997, and yes I suffer from a wicked wrist. I was running WOT for quite a few of those 80 miles too....

Thoughts? Anything else I should look at or test?

I've got a spare bike laying around that I had planned to sell, but my new idea is to steal the head, buy new valves and springs and have them put in by a pro and then port the exhaust while I'm at it.

(sorry for the long post!)

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Died on the freeway...
Reply #1 - 06/03/11 at 22:31:15

If you're getting a good read,... that compression is a sign a major bad.....
Did you tow it home?...
Can't guess much from the info so far, ... but at a stretch, I'd look for a holed piston?

Sounds like you probably know better than me, anyway.
Tell us what you find,... I'm interested to know.

Good luck,.. and glad you stayed shiny-side...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Died on the freeway...
Reply #2 - 06/03/11 at 22:50:15

don't think you holed the piston... you got some compression,
but rings or valves.
with oil coming out of the breather hose, I bet rings.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:23:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Died on the freeway...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.