Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noob here: S40 Bobber build idea... (Read 244 times)
SirRadiodude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Noob here: S40 Bobber build idea...
06/03/11 at 21:49:36

Long set-up for my question... sorry.

I just sold my V-Star 1100 Silverado... great bike, but I don't take trips or get make long rides too often so it was a bit much. I ride primarily for commuter and usually under 10 miles to work each way. I also got it when I was 325lb and now I'm 190lb.

I was considering getting a small 250ish sportbike, but now I after several hours wasted on youtube I am on a small bobber kick. I see these Chinese import 250 bobbers flooding the market at around $2200, but I am not keen on their reliability, resell, replacement part availability. Thats when I discovered folks converting s40s to bobbers. My first bike was a Suzi Marauder (great bike as well) so I've had good luck with the brand. I am loving the lower maintenance of the belt vs. chain. The 650 engine of the S40 seems to have more punch than a 250ish competitor without giving up too much MPG (as far as I've researched). Used S40s seem to be a steal (price VS value) in my area so if I decide bobber, this looks to be where I start.

Well my question... How hard is it to really mod of these bad-boys to bober-like status? Bike compatible with cheap bobber parts?  Frame work well with bobber set-up? I am not fabricator by far but I can tinker with things quite well.  Any suggestions or ideas?

THX!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Noob here: S40 Bobber build idea...
Reply #1 - 06/03/11 at 22:18:16

Welcome,.. and congrats on that weight loss...
This bike is a great one for personalizing.
Loads of bobbers here,... cafe's, choppers, scramblers, retro's...
Hunt around the site, and steal all the ideas,... then make yer' own,... and we'll steal some of your ideas...
Many Harley parts are useable, as well as metrics...

You can make anything work with enough duct tape... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #2 - 06/03/11 at 22:22:26

You'll find no shortage of S40 supporters here, and one thing they don't tell you about at the dealership is... this site. There's an incredible amount of knowledge here and everyone is always willing to help, it's pretty inspiring. Sero is right, you can do anything with this bike, they are easy to work on and they are fun. Good luck in finding the right bike for you! Welcome to the Forum.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #3 - 06/04/11 at 07:19:56

You can indeed make a kewl lookin' bobba pretty easily with a Savage / S40.  Part of the reason I bought the bike is that the back end follows lines pretty darned close to a rigid while having suspension to save the old bones.  

My own build (I'll post pics as soon as its done, I swear!) consists of the old front fender from a Magna scooped at a wrecker for $30 as a rear fender, some new bars, new lights, a new seat and a rattle-bomb paint job.  Even with the initial bike purchase and some higher priced (but totally worth it; Biltwell Fricos!) items, my bike is still under that $2200 you quoted.  Mine is a '96, so it's a little older, but still.....

Some fab work was required; cutting and fitting the new fender and welding up the new seat mounts primarily, but there are companies out there (though not many) that make direct bolt-on stuff for these bikes if ya got the scratch.  A company called Blue Collar Bobbers comes quickly to mind, and they make an entire kit that fits on directly.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 06/04/11 at 21:31:17

Smokestack wrote on 06/04/11 at 07:19:56:
 A company called Blue Collar Bobbers comes quickly to mind, and they make an entire kit that fits on directly.

wheres the fun in that.
thumper, as seen in ama magazine several years ago. less than a hundered bucks and some creative thinking.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 06/05/11 at 06:39:57

Well,mine was over a couple hundred because of the apehangers.Cables.....etc.
Good to see you're around Sluggo.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #6 - 06/06/11 at 15:28:30

sluggo wrote on 06/04/11 at 21:31:17:
wheres the fun in that.

Only mentioned 'cuz Dude said he wasn't a fabricator.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 06/06/11 at 16:29:43

i wasnt either until i got thumper.  i got mine brand spanking new and did the mods within months.  wife was horrified until she see saw the results and how people react to it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:20:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noob here: S40 Bobber build idea...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.